'98 Camaro LS/60e Transplant (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I am finalizing a deal on a 98 Camaro and the owner is kind enough to let me have any//all accessories of which I intend to take everything I can. Feeling like a steal for $3500 for everything but in the meantime I am also trying to wrap up the grocery list for other items needed. I've poured over other swap threads and want to make sure I haven't confused myself with all the info. Other than all the guts from the donor, am I correct in saying all I will need extra will be the adapter from AA, the split case, wiring harness and the crossmember?

I appreciate all the others who have trampled this long road and all the info that has been shared. I don't think I would be undertaking this (Seemingly) gargantuan task if it weren't for everyone who has been kind enough to share their journey. Thank you in advance as I round the corner on beginning this project!

AC

Look for a thread that has the title Theorycraft V8 swap as that has a large amount of information for stuff like this.
Your split case from your truck will work.
Purchase a wiring harness from Painless, Pacific Fab, etc.
Yoy will need a new oil pan if you are not lifted to clear the front diff.
Lots of little odds and ends. Keep reading and good luck.

Are you getting the entire car, or just the engine/transmission. Is the tranny a auto or manual? If you post a build thread you can ask questions and get support as you go along. Just a suggestion.

Thanks Greg - hiw much lift do I need to clear the diff?

Daytona - getting the whole car (whatever I want basically). Tranny is manual - as soon as the seller and I can agree I will begin the build post. He tries playing the -

Damn phone - I meant the seller tried playing the - I got a bunch of buyers so not going to sell it for the price we agreed to... thankfully a better option camaro just came up for sale for same price...

That T56 manual transmission would do you no good. Better off finding a Tahoe or Suburban with an Automatic.

@ACPIT I think you need to do about a 2" lift to have the oil pan clear the front pumpkin. Really it depends on how you place the engine in the bay and then how you are setup. For you the Camaro tranny will definitely NOT work without LOTS and LOTS of fabrication and tinkering. Best bet is to find a 4L60 or NV4500 to mate to it and go from there, if they would actually work with the engine (4L60 should).

That Camaro would have the LS1 and I think that is the same bellhousing pattern as the Vortec motors. Can someone confirm to add some tech for me? :)

That Camaro would have the LS1 and I think that is the same bellhousing pattern as the Vortec motors. Can someone confirm to add some tech for me? :)

I thought somewhere in my reading that all SBC to Vortec/LS1/LT1 bellhousing patterns were the same from about 90 to current?! I could be completely wrong but could have swore they were the same. Only difference was that the Camaro used a slightly different MANUAL transmission, otherwise they all used the 4L60/e autos.

So then the ls1/4l60e combo is no good due to amount of fab work needed? The second camaro option was a 6 and advert had it as an 8 so a little upset but I guess I should be relieved? There is a 99 Tahoe w the 5.7 ls1. It's an automatic - stupid new question but can I run a motor set up with auto tranny on y manual

So then the ls1/4l60e combo is no good due to amount of fab work needed? The second camaro option was a 6 and advert had it as an 8 so a little upset but I guess I should be relieved? There is a 99 Tahoe w the 5.7 ls1. It's an automatic - stupid new question but can I run a motor set up with auto tranny on y manual
Ls1 with the 4l60 will be fine. I believe if the camaro is a stick it uses something other than the standard nv4500 that most use. But for auto the 4l60 will work behind anything from an sbc 350 to current (I believe).

Look at advanced adapters as they make a conversion bellhousing that will mate the stock LC 4spd (h42) to the vortec/sbc350 or whatever chevy. Otherwise you will need an adapter at the t-case. Start looking up some of the V8 builds to gather your info, lots of reading to do.

Lots of "I stayed at Holiday Inn" theory

Of course the NV4500 did not come in the Camaro, it's a truck trans.

Pay close attention to the motor and trans you choose as it relates to the electronics. There are motor ECUs, trans ECUS and ECUs that control both motor and trans. For instance, if you pick up a Camaro with a manual and throw an auto behind it you will need a stand alone controller for the trans or another main harness that runs both motor and trans. If the ECU was in a manual vehicle and you want to use an auto the programming is also different.

Start looking at Trucks rather than cars as a donor source, Vortecs. They build more power on the low end than the car variants, the LS. If you are thinking an auto 4L60E, think about stepping up to the 4L65E. It has a few changes that made it stronger. I use Monster trans stage two 4L65E, totally re manufactured with all the known weak areas upgraded and a warranty. Personally I am fine with a pull out motor but I am leary of using a used trans.

If you want a manual, think NV4500. Very strong unit and an adapter is available to bolt up the split case. AA has the adapter and all other related parts to put it all together.

The trans bolt patterns on GM V8s is the same almost since the beginning.

@ACPIT You need to read through as many actual swap threads as you can. Read completely through the threads and see what trucks run well and what trucks require constant tinkering for one issue or another. There is a lot of good information and odds are that the swap you end up choosing to do is documented.

BEWARE! There is a whole lot of commentary from people that have never actually done a swap, yet jump to give out information on every thread that even mentions a swap that they gained by reading it or hearing about it somewhere . It is whisper down the lane at it's finest. Stick with the information you read in actual build threads from people with hands on experience.

Go take a look here
8x Series V8 Swaps

Some of the information is 80 specific but a lot of it is universal.

Just sent you a email with docs. But I LOVE my 5.3 with 4L60e I have about 7000 miles post swap and would not change a thing. I did a 2" body lift (made the spaces my self $40) and I have a medium OME spring lift. That with a H2 hummer oil pan is perfect with plenty of clearance.

With an LS1 vs a truck motor, you get aluminum block (which you really don't need to save weight) Better accessory mounting (which you will probably have to change anyway) Lower intake (which clearance isn't a problem), F body Oil Pan (which you DO need).

I am doing a 69 Camaro LS Swap---So I needed an LS1 to fit under the camaro hood, and weight was a positive.

I have a 2003 LM7 and 4L60E (2WD) with 100K on it that cost $800 going into my 60.

In my opinion, you are better off with an aftermarket complete plug in harness than trying to rework the factory one, unless you are pretty skilled in that area. I sold the LS1 harness and computer for $350, and bought one from PSI for $750

Plenty LS1's online available

LS1 CAMARO/ CORVETTE ENGINE

With an LS1 vs a truck motor, you get aluminum block (which you really don't need to save weight) Better accessory mounting (which you will probably have to change anyway) Lower intake (which clearance isn't a problem), F body Oil Pan (which you DO need).

I am doing a 69 Camaro LS Swap---So I needed an LS1 to fit under the camaro hood, and weight was a positive.

I have a 2003 LM7 and 4L60E (2WD) with 100K on it that cost $800 going into my 60.

In my opinion, you are better off with an aftermarket complete plug in harness than trying to rework the factory one, unless you are pretty skilled in that area. I sold the LS1 harness and computer for $350, and bought one from PSI for $750

Plenty LS1's online available

LS1 CAMARO/ CORVETTE ENGINE

At that price you are close to getting a Turnkey engine from someone like Pacific Fabrications or BD Turnkey that will likely have as many miles but will come with a custom harness that has ONLY the items that you specify and you receive a run video of the engine. I would go through BD Turnkey or Pacific Fab before buying an engine at that price. But then again, you CAN find much cheaper engines on eBay than that.

I appreciate the assist. I guess I am a little confused because all the threads I had read seemed like 5.7 and 4l60e were a swap others had done. Do its the 5.3 and 4l60?

Now - I've been searching for what car/truck came with the 5.3 and 4l60 and I can't find anything on the web. Any leads to where I can find the info would be appreciated.

Megagolf-where did you get the engine/tranny combo for 800? Clicked the link and it tool me to an engine for 2500...

Ideally I want the least amount of electronics and wiring but also would like to stay in ls family and be compliant w California smog referee...

Also been looking for what trucks came equipped with nv4500 and the ls (5.3/5.7) and I can't find that pairing anywhere.

FJeng - been inundated with work but I will reach out when I catch my breath. All your help is appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom