97 lx450. A daily driver/camping rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey fellas

Well I picked up Robert's(bowtiestang) old lx450 as some of you know. It is currently going to be my daily driver and camping toy with the occasional trails as soon as I am comfortable with it.

I had been eyeballing it for awhile but I couldn't purchase it until I sold my 99 t4r. Once it sold I made arrangements with him to go pick it up. I typically wouldn't be so certain about picking a vehicle up without checking it out first, but Robert posted a ton of pictures and answered all the questions I had and then some. I drove to Tucson and drove the cruiser straight back to Mesa, 70mph and A/C was blasting and it didn't miss a beat.

Robert did a bunch of PM on it so it is an incredibly solid rig as it sits. The only issue is the power steering pump is leaking a little but he gave me another pump with rebuild kit :) That will be tackled in the near future.

Like mentioned before this is currently my daily driver, luckily I do not drive much so the fuel consumption wont hurt me too bad. And to be honest I wouldn't have gotten it if it really bothered me that much.
For the most part it will be just driven, but it will be taken on the trails around the EV. My girlfriend and I are taking it up to Strawberry next weekend for some camping as well.

Here is the current list of what is done, give or take:
It's a 97 lexus lx450

220K+- miles
6 cd changer
Ice Cold AC
Aussie locker rear locker
Center diff locker with switch
TJM 2.5 lift heavy lift
TJM Shocks
New 33" Hankook mud terrain tires(5) less than 1000 miles
Trail Gear front diff armor
ARB full size mesh floor roof rack
Custom rear bumper with dual swing outs
New radiator, new belts and hoses
PHH done with silicone hoses
All fluids and filters changed
100 series brake pads in front
Front bumper modified for clearance
Nice leather except one rear seat has a seem splitting
Husky Liner mats all 3 rows.

My immediate goals/plans are as follows:

35s
arb front bumper
LED light bar for the rack
FJC steelies
sliders
Removable storage for the rear
Sleeper system for the rear
redo exhaust so its tucked up

And I am sure that list will increase :)

Here are a few pics of it how it sits

I plastidipped the wheels and the front bumper for the time being

If this thread doesn't belong here I apologize. Enjoy gents

:cheers:

Looks great! Welcome aboard,

:clap: welcome!

Better fix that. "HAD" a 96. Maybe should change it to: "looking for"

Thanks guys
Been driving it the past few days and I love it. It just feels so solid and safe.

My 2 year old son is in love with it as well. Every time he sees it he says "truck" and opens his hands real wide ( his sign for saying it's big) lol plus he is really high up in the back seat so I'm sure he likes that.

Looking great, that rear bumper is awesome!

Thanks, man I agree. Definitely gives it a different look. And in my opinion more rugged.

I say you de-flare it and sell me the flares. (I had a blow out on the passenger side rear and the tire ripped my flares off on that side)

Haha I actually like the flares a lot at the moment. However there might come a time when I want to get rid of them and I'll keep you in mind.

I say deflare all 80's and liner them. This is why I wasnt doing any pant and body on it. Soon as I lost a flare it was getting this (but in desert tan):

55.jpg

(bumper skull not included)

(bumper skull not included)

I like the skull :skull::skull::skull: The bumper not so much...way too big. I have some good ideas for a front bumper but no 80 to try them on lol.

Last edited:
Yeah that is definitely awesome. I love the wheels on it.

However I prefer a stock paint job for the most part. And i like how the grey flares/side trim breaks up the green.
But that's what's cool about cars, not everyone likes the same thing and if we did life would be extremely boring.

Took the 80 up to woods canyon lake yesterday. Loaded her up a bunch of camping equipment and 3 big dogs and she never missed a beat. Even managed 14mpg on the way up there and driving the back roads while up there which is decent considering.

Saw a lot of fj80s and 4runners while up there as well.

Wish I would have gotten some more pics of the truck but we were pretty busy the whole time.

20140718_150803.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom