97 4runner sas ??????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok this is going to be a long mod im going to sas my 97 4runner my first dilemma is this. i saw on extreme 4x4 an episode when they cut and inverted a toyota axle to run in the rear. my question is this could i do the same to make it a driver side drop? im a pretty decent fabricator im a pipe welder by trade so its not an issue but would there be any issues with the axle underneath my 97 ??????????? any imput would be extremely helpful.

ok this is going to be a long mod im going to sas my 97 4runner my first dilemma is this. i saw on extreme 4x4 an episode when they cut and inverted a toyota axle to run in the rear. my question is this could i do the same to make it a driver side drop? im a pretty decent fabricator im a pipe welder by trade so its not an issue but would there be any issues with the axle underneath my 97 ??????????? any imput would be extremely helpful.

I've seen it done before. It's very common down here...

I don't see any problem unless when you're talking about inverting the axle you're meaning turning it upside down. If I'm not mistaken this will cause the rotation to be wrong and yeild a weaker gear set when used in the front.

Yep. Been thinking and planning on doing the same thing. Cut the knuckles in a similar manner as you would do a cut-n-turn on an axle, pull the knuckles completely off, flop over the axle, put the knuckles back on opposite sides than they came off and weld them back up after you've set your angles. Cut out the welded diff cover and rotate 180 degrees, notch any new notches necessary for ring gear or diff-lock fork for the diff to fit back in the tube right side up, ensure proper diff stud location and make any necessary changes, and flip the drain plug to the new bottom side as well as the breather tube to the new top (filling in the old holes of course). Weld up your suspension and shock mounts etc, and bob's yer uncle. A bit of work that should be done by a very competent individual/shop, but I've seen it done on both front and rear axles. Makes it nice to keep it all Yota IMO.

-Ferg-

Last edited:
I thought Marlin had an adapter to switch TC drop sides, sorry...

And IIRC, a Reverse Rotation D44 from a late model (66-77) Ferd Bronco is left hand drop...

I could be wrong though... Would save a HELL OF A LOT of fabbing... I know, infection. But it's reverse rotation and pretty short already...

Again IIRC...

they do.. i to have a 99 taco and im in the process of doing a sas..
im going to run the oem 85 axle and 85 gear tcase so that i can run the crawl box. and the disk tcase mounted ebrake.. that way everything lines up just fine.. worst problem is that i need a adaptor to go from the 99 a340e transmission to a 85 tcase $699.00 . i may also want (not needed) is to extend the axle tubes or have a custome dimond housing made.. there pretty darn cheap..
you could just have them make you custome dimond axle that allows the pimpkin in normall orentiation for a 96+ 4x4 but swap the short and long axles..
if your truck is 4x4 already i wouldnt do anything funny.. what i would do, is keep your drive train the way it is and buy a used dana 44 axle from a old jeep wagoneer.. the diff is on the correct side for a 96+ 4x4. and the width is also perfect for a 96+ toyota's to match the rear.. then all youd have to do is cut and turn (not entierlly necessary but highlly reccomended).. my truck is a prerunner which is why im going the adaptor+gear tcase route..

Last edited:
well i cut and flipped the yota axle and cut off all the ifs stuff off my runner i will post pix soon

well i cut and flipped the yota axle and cut off all the ifs stuff off my runner i will post pix soon

Pics or it didn't happen.

sorry about not havimg any pictures up i was doing a pipeline over by the salton sea and just got back i will post some pix today because believe me it happened.

ok fellas heres the pictures more to come soon.
CIMG0617.jpg
CIMG0618.jpg
CIMG0619.jpg

heres a couple more of the axle with the hipinion diff and the 4x4 lab steering arms
CIMG0621.jpg
CIMG0620.jpg

Awesome! Wish you were my next door neighbor, not much good with a wrench and would love to SAS
my Taco.

everything is welded up on the axle to determine the angle i got a degree wheel/angle finder and made notations on where they were ognlyand squared them up to the og perches everything is within a degree of were it was before i hope it works it is a pain in the ass to do ill have more pictures today or tomorrow with more updates i got to get this axle under the 4runner this week.

Be careful when you get that thing going, Dan.

I've heard lots of guys that have done SAS's on 4Runner's talk about how unstable the ride is b/c the front is leaf and the rear is coil...

yah i dont doubt that it might be a little unstable or tippy im also going to put leafs in the rear i already got the 3'' lift setup with the longer leafs from trail gear.

Another example of an 85 thats been flipped for a Taco....

IMG_2644.jpg

It'll be under my truck in the next month or so. I ordered my Alcans springs yesterday so now i have to wait 3 weeks for them to be fabbed up :-\

I have a little fabbing to do on this axle because it was set up with coils in mind and i will be using leafs.... But thar' she blows!

hey that front axle looks good man i drove the runner and it is very tippy unstable so ill have to put on those rear leafs and then well see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom