'96 4Runner timing belt change interval... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Saw a nice, clean '96 4Runner yesterday. Female driver, drove it all through college, clean inside, engine bay clean but not steam washed, no leaks, no rust - really nice.

She had documentation on timing belt, water pump and tensioner replaced at 130K. Now with 190K on the clock isn't time to do it again?!

What is the proper interval for replacing TBs on these?

thx,
James

Saw a nice, clean '96 4Runner yesterday. Female driver, drove it all through college, clean inside, engine bay clean but not steam washed, no leaks, no rust - really nice.

She had documentation on timing belt, water pump and tensioner replaced at 130K. Now with 190K on the clock isn't time to do it again?!

What is the proper interval for replacing TBs on these?

thx,
James

They have the interval listed as 60,000 for 96 and 97 and 90,000 for 98-2002.
All of the parts are the same apparently, so I'm not sure why the change.
Maybe they were just covering their asses at first.

3.4 is a non interference engine so a broken timing belt is not catastrophic. Perhaps leave it until you need to address drive belts or water pump/leak.

My brother did his at 100K and said that the belt looked great. Mine was done at 66K by the PO (presumably the water pump failed) and now has 166K - but I'm waiting until there's another issue to drive replacing the belt. I have other vehicles to drive if it snaps or needs a few days down time.

3.4 is a non interference engine so a broken timing belt is not catastrophic. Perhaps leave it until you need to address drive belts or water pump/leak.

Wow... that's awesome to hear - I've always associated TB failure with a major catastrophy ( I know that's true on my Benz) - thx for that info!

My girl has a 2003 Tacoma with the 3.4L, its at about 95k. The interval is 90k still, right?

How difficult is it to change? I have a lot of experience with Toyota's 4 cyls but not so much her V6.

My girl has a 2003 Tacoma with the 3.4L, its at about 95k. The interval is 90k still, right?

How difficult is it to change? I have a lot of experience with Toyota's 4 cyls but not so much her V6.

Yes, 90,000.

It is not terrible if you are a mechanically inclined person.

Write up here and lots more info in the FAQ in my sigline.
Timing Belt

:cheers:

Awesome, that's what I needed to know!

Now I just have to get my girl to pony up the cash for a much needed oil change and the belt change.

She's not yet the kind of person who is religious about maintenance... :p

I purchased my '01 new and waited until 171,000 to address the timing belt, accessory belts, water pump, etc. Amazingly, the only item really showing its age was the weeping water pump.

The truck now has 216,000+ and runs great.

Andreas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom