96 4Runner 4X4 - What to do?... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

peytonkristen

SILVER Star
Threads
I usually hang out in the 40 or 80 series forums and have a long history with Toyotas. I now need some advice as what to do with my 96 4Runner.

I am the 2nd owner of my 96. I bought it many years ago when it only had 40,000 miles and it just turned over 200k. I drove it for a while and gave it to my son for his 16th birthday. It survived him through high school, and one of my daughters after that. Then my wife drove it for a year or so until I bought her a 40th Anniv. Landcruiser. (The 4Runner actually has more damage from my wife than my kids...and the answer is "no" when she now asks to haul a trailer, with any vehicle, to pick up plants and mulch from the landscape supply. Funny how dents magically appear...) And it now has an ARB bumper (thanks to a drunk driver/insurance company in a McDonalds parking lot) but is otherwise a stock rig.

I've kept up regular maintenance and it currently has new brakes, radiator, belts, hoses....etc. Besides just a few small dings/dents and scratches, it still looks really good.

This is what it needs.....
1. new shocks and springs
2. timing belt... it has never been changed and so it is due
3. water pump (with the timing belt)
4. new valve cover gaskets
5. Tires
6. Some upholstery repair to front seats
7. New antenna mast
8. ?????

I am wanting to start driving it again. My plan is to use it some for work and play, pull my duck boat to the duck woods and haul a couple of four-wheelers around on a trailer occasionally.

I'm thinking about fixing it up (see above list) and putting a 2.5" OME lift on it with some 285 Goodyear Duratracs and getting on down the road.

My question is this ..... Is it worth putting the money necessary into it? Possibly $3500 or so... Any advice?? Suggestions??

And no...it isn't for sale or being given away.....at least not yet.

Thanks!!

The 3rd gen 4Runner is a great all around platform. I've had and wheeled a couple. And actually just picked up another to build. Based on how long you've had it and if it's still solid I'd say it's definitely worth fixing up. An OME lift, rear locker and good tires will take you far in that truck. And still be a great driver. When going through things and fixing it up you should add to your list a stand alone tranny cooler. The one in the radiator on these trucks rust out and leak coolant into and ruin the tranny. What motor is in it?

The 3rd gen 4Runner is a great all around platform. I've had and wheeled a couple. And actually just picked up another to build. Based on how long you've had it and if it's still solid I'd say it's definitely worth fixing up. An OME lift, rear locker and good tires will take you far in that truck. And still be a great driver. When going through things and fixing it up you should add to your list a stand alone tranny cooler. The one in the radiator on these trucks rust out and leak coolant into and ruin the tranny. What motor is in it?
The motor is the larger 3.4L V6. It's been kept in a garage most of the time and is still a solid, good looking rig. Motor runs great, uses no oil. Still drives great too.

Its definitely worth it then. Those 3.4's go 300k..
That's what I was thinking. I know it still has allot of life left in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom