'95 Tacoma, valve adjustment, timing belt replacement?

Discussion in '95+ Gen Toyota Trucks' started by Pete, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Pete

Pete

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the dumb questions but how often do you adjust your valve clearances on a 3.4 V6? What about timing belt replacement or at least checking tension? The way I read the owner's manual, for how I'll be driving it (no off-road to speak of, all city streets and a little highway, rare if ever any towing) no need to replace the belt. Is this engine non-interference, unlike my 944?

Thanks,
    Pete
  2. KliersLC

KliersLC

I think it is an interference engine, but I could be mixed up with the 1uz....anyhow, timing belt is supposed to be done at 90k intervals. I have 160k on my 3.4 and haven't adjusted the valves.
  3. FlatlandTRD

FlatlandTRD SILVER Star

Yes, the 3.4s are NON-interference engines. Do not worry about adjusting the valves.

As for the timing belt, I replaced mine at 108K and it looked great. You can not adjust tension as it has an auto-tensioner. But peace of mind is worth a lot if someone else is driving it, and if it ever does go are you able to do without the truck until you get it done (i.e. tow it home, order parts, run into unexpected issue, put it back together)?

I posted somewhere around here with all the part numbers, and links.
  4. Pete

Pete

Thanks Guys!