Builds '91 Pickup diesel conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

http://vpizza.org/~jmeehan/toyotadiesel/

this is also a pretty good write up on a 91. not quite as long and detailed but good none the less.

James is a wealth of information. And his truck looks great. He even bot a blurb in "Diesel Power" magazine. :) Not with a picture of a diesel Toyota or anything, just a mention of his site. He's famous!

His project was what convinced me to put the diesel in mine, except at the time I was hoping to find a 2LII-T like he has. :)

Dan

Quick update:

I have now had my second part failure since the conversion over a year ago. There are only three non-Toyota parts used in the conversion. The coolant tube (which loosened), the electric fan, and the relay for that fan. Well, the other day I noticed that the radio shack relay (used because it was available) looked like it had gotten pretty hot at some point. Well, today on the drive home I parked in the driveway and the fan just kept making noise. Turns out the RS relay failed closed so the fan wouldn't shut off when I shut the truck off.

I just turned the thermostat up until it shut off via the control from that relay.

So, to date: that's two little problems with it. Both of them non-Toyota parts.

Let that be a lesson kids. :)

A whole 20 minutes to replace the relay (with another RS relay, because I don't have time to look into it more today), but next time I get some time off, it's time to redo that. In fact, I think I'll simply use that relay to power another relay which will actually turn on the fan (from a hot battery bus), because that way I can also add a completely separate power supply for the fan control, just in case the thermostat ever fails or something.

Dan

Any more updates?

I am looking to ditch my FZJ80 for a 22RE 4Runner and this swap has piqued my interest something fierce. The cost alone is a huge plus for me since I was looking at AT LEAST $10K for a Cummins 4BTA swap in the 80.

The only thing that seems like something I can't handle would be the wiring, everything else looks decently straight forward.

:cheers:

Updates????

Well, I put a new stereo in it. :) And it's getting new tires this week (but the same tires it had on it, just not bald now :) ).

I still love the thing to death, even with the 2LT-E.

If you are looking into it, go 1KZ-TE. It's no more complicated of a swap, but the 2LT-E is just not a robust enough engine for long term peace of mind. The wiring really isn't all that hard, but it is time consuming (and if you aren't at least decent with electrical work, then it would be a challenge).

If I was just going to wheel, I'd build the 80 with a diesel. For daily driving as well, the mini/runner with a diesel is really hard to beat. For the best of both, it'd be a SAS 3rd generation 4-runner (ok, 2nd generation 4-runner really) with a 1KZ-TE. (at least, in my opinion)

Dan

By "update" I meant, how's it workin out for ya? Any problems rear their head? etc...

Also, about the 1KZ, wouldn't parts be pretty hard to source in the US compared to the 2L-T?

By "update" I meant, how's it workin out for ya? Any problems rear their head? etc...

Not yet :clap: It continues to run like a top, and it really is as awesome as the day I first finished it. Every time I drive it it impresses me, and I don't know why.

Also, about the 1KZ, wouldn't parts be pretty hard to source in the US compared to the 2L-T?

Since I have a 2LT-E, parts are already hard enough to find, certainly no harder than the 1KZ would be. Really it's not that they are hard to find, but that it takes a couple days to get them if you need them. The "hard" part of finding parts is getting the part number. CDan has been great at finding part numbers, and having an EPC of your own helps an awful lot too (although TDM is tremendously useful for finding part numbers too).

Dan

Cool thanks for the info.

For some reason I was thinking you put in a 2LT and not a 2LT-E. I would think a 2LT would be an even easier swap than the E.

Anyway, thanks for this post, I'm sure I'll be going over it several times in the next few weeks/months.

:cheers:

Here's an update for ya!

I've been pining over my bald tires for a while. At 100K+ miles, they were getting kind of threadbare. But, as picky as I am, you know I couldn't just buy new tires (also, that would be easy, and I don't do easy). Nope, I had to take the original wheels (and I actually bought a fifth matching wheel for the spare), get them powdercoated as close to the original silver/gray as possible, and THEN buy new tires.

It's a good thing I have been out of town for the past couple weeks in training, as I knew it would take a while, but my powdercoaters (these wheels don't fit in my oven) had some delays, so the faux-lux ended up sitting on blocks in the shop (in the way of Dad's Power Wagon :) ) for nearly three weeks waiting to get the wheels back. Well, yesterday on my way back to the airport I finally got my wheels picked up, and got some new BFG A/T 31x10.50R15s put on. If BFG made a 32x10.00 I would have rather used that, but oh well, these have done great for me for the previous 100+ thousand miles, so I'm pretty happy.

Anyway, even though I'm stuck in St. Louis, my Dad must have wanted to get his Red Power Wagon out, so he put the wheels/tires back on the faux-lux for me.

It looks good enough I should probably wash the truck now, just so the rest of it looks as clean and stock as the tires. (no, I won't shine the tires, because that is lame to the m4x0RBz!)

Dan
aths 033.jpg

Now that I'm home: better pictures. Also, I'm busy washing it right now just so it matches the new (old) wheels and their as-close-as-possible original color.
new tires 1.jpg

And an overall picture.... they look fantastic IMHO.
new tires 2.jpg

On a related note, I'm posting a second set of wheels for sale in the classified's section. Already powdercoated a gunmetal gray sort of color.

Dan
new tires 1.jpg
new tires 2.jpg

Update: still love it! The starter has started acting up, and I rebuilt it, and I can get it to start every time now, but if it's 30 degrees or so out, the starter clutch won't engage the first try, but the second usually does it. CDan *should* have a refurbished starter on the way....

But, I needed to replace the bumper. Mostly my sister wanted a trailer hitch on her '95 pickup, and instead of her buying one, I gave her mine, and took the opportunity to build a bumper that I like instead.

Just setting it up... The main bumper is 2x6" 1/8 wall rectangular tubing.
bumper 1.jpg

bumper 2.jpg

I also cut a recess in for a receiver hitch. I don't pull trailers with the 2LT-E (got to protect that dainty head, you know), but there's no time like the present for putting one in...
bumper 3.jpg
bumper 1.jpg
bumper 2.jpg
bumper 3.jpg

The receiver tacked into place.
bumper 4.jpg

Here's some layout work. The rubber grommets are for lights, and obviously the tabs are for the D-ring shackle mounts.
bumper 5.jpg

And the hole for the backup light cut, with the light set inside it.
bumper 6.jpg
bumper 4.jpg
bumper 5.jpg
bumper 6.jpg

I cut the brackets that attach to the frame out of 1/4" plate. I cut a slot in the "back" (towards the front of the truck) of the bumper, inserted the frame attachment brackets, and welded what I could to the "front" of the bumper. This is so that the shackles will be able to pull almost directly on the frame brackets. The load is transmitted from the frame through the brackets, to the "front" of the bumper, and to the shackle tabs. I did run some numbers (hey, my degree has to be good for something) and the 2x6" tube should be strong enough to handle any load I could put through the frame attach bolts, but I like the idea of running the brackets through the tube, and at least tacking it to the "front" of the bumper, and thence to the shackle tabs.

Anyway, here's some pics...

The full weld on the "back" of the bumper.
bumper 7.jpg

You can sort of see the welds I was able to get on the inside of the "front" of the bumper. It's hard to aim the welding gun in there! If I would have used 2.5" tube even it would have been easy!
bumper 8.jpg

And what's that hole in the top of the bumper for I wonder....
bumper 9.jpg
bumper 7.jpg
bumper 8.jpg
bumper 9.jpg

Why it's a spindle for a tire carrier or something!
bumper 10.jpg

I'm not sure if I will want one, or use one, but now is the time to install a spindle IMHO. I welded a small plate inside the bumper for the spindle to rest on, and then welded the spindle to it, in addition to the outside of the bumper.
bumper 11.jpg

Here's the clearance it gives me. In retrospect, I should have just cut my own receiver tube. Turns out the only ones I could find were exactly 2" from the end of the mouth to the hole for the pin. Since my rectangular tube is 2" wide, I would have to mount it completely underneath the bumper to clear it, this wort of works. The length of the receiver tube kind of cuts down my departure angle more than I might like, but 1) I have 31" tires, and can't ever see me putting more than 33's on there, and 2) It's a reciever tube--doesn't exactly bother me to scrape it.
bumper 12.jpg

There's not much extra room there between the body and the frame brackets. I had to bend just a little of the body out of the way to give it some clearance even.

Also: yes that's an '85 4-runner in the background Jay-rod. Not mine. The Chica's. ;)

Dan
bumper 10.jpg
bumper 11.jpg
bumper 12.jpg

A look at the extra receiver tube behind the bumper which I will eventually brace back towards the frame brackets, along with some gusseting vertically on the front and back of the bumper.
bumper 13.jpg

And here it is bolted onto the truck, with the shackle tabs welded on. I also boxed in the ends, and the step area/license plate cutout.
bumper 14.jpg

A better view during the day.
bumper 15.jpg
bumper 13.jpg
bumper 14.jpg
bumper 15.jpg

What else did I add?
bumper 16.jpg

Yep. Brake lights. I'm not sure if I'll even wire them as turn signals, but I always like to have people behind me know I'm stopping. Especially being LEDs, they are pretty nice back there.

And here's one with the backup light on.
bumper 17.jpg
It's actually about as bright as a very full moon back there now. One neat thing is that the Grote LED backup light I bought (it's the half-DOT required version, there's another that's brighter--but WELL over $100) casts an almost entirely horizontal beam of light. VERY little light ends up high in the air, but is very wide angle behind me. Very pleased with that. But I *might* have to spring for the brighter version soon, or just add another one like this. But I kind of like the asymmetry that the single backup light provides. It looks good to me.

I'll leave it this way for a while I think. I still need to run protection forward to just behind the rear wheels, but I haven't decided how I want to do that exactly. I also will think about a tire carrier or something back there. I just slipped a section of 1.25" 11GA tubing (not DOM, but clean seam) over the spindle to protect it a bit. I would probably just use a section of the tube over the spindle, as 1.25"-11GA (x2) leaves only 0.01" of space, which is more than close enough for me I think. Either way, it's sometime in the future, if ever.

What's really impressive is that The whole thing you see here weighs maybe 10-15 pounds LESS than the SmittyBuilt tube bumper that was one there! Here's a pic of the old one for comparison.
old bumper.jpg

Dan
bumper 16.jpg
bumper 17.jpg
old bumper.jpg

half cut

Dan,

Great thread i really enjoyed it and will continue to use it as it is a wealth of info. I have been looking at the james' site regarding diesel conversions as well and am considering the 3L diesel when my 22re kicks which hopefully isn't for a while. Just curious where you sourced out your half cut surf? Cheers

Matt

Dan,

Great thread i really enjoyed it and will continue to use it as it is a wealth of info. I have been looking at the james' site regarding diesel conversions as well and am considering the 3L diesel when my 22re kicks which hopefully isn't for a while. Just curious where you sourced out your half cut surf? Cheers

Matt

I bought the half-cut from JARCO Inc. in Atlanta. Michael Hooper was the guy doing all the Toyota diesel stuff, but I think he's started his own company doing conversions. Not positive though.

A 3L would be easier than the 2LT-E or 1KZ-TE. Only things you'd really have to get would be an engine, bellhousing, clutch slave cylinder, fuel filter, and fab some radiator hoses. That's about the hardest bit of a 3L. It would probably be more work tidying up the wiring harness from the 22RE to mate with a 3L.

That said, if it was anything other than a trail truck, I'd really look into a 1KZ-TE. Just being a diesel makes it awesome on the trail (cannot overstate how awesome a diesel is to wheel), and the turbo makes it awesome on the highway. I love being able to accelerate from 50-60 mph without downshifting now. There have been a few 3L's that have had turbos added. I'd strongly consider it if I had a 3L.

Frankly, I am glad my 22RE started leaking so much, otherwise I wouldn't have done the swap. I drive my sister's '95 V6 pickup, and my Dad's Tacoma, and every time I do, I actually want to come home and take the faux-lux out for a spin. It's STILL that impressive to me. If you get a good deal on a 3L, I would jump on it. I loved my 22RE, I adore my 2LT-E (yes, cracking head and all).

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom