1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'91 - '94 Grille P/N woes

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by erics_bruisers, Jun 17, 2003.

1. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

When I bought my 80 this past January, one of the minor changes I wanted to make to it was get a new grille -- the old one was cracked, etc. --

-- seemingly simple, but not really. The old P/N is 53111-60070. When a dealer enters that in to their system, it is automatically superceded with P/N 53111-60100 --

-- the problem with the new grille (the "Toyota" stamped grille) is that it has 3 drill holes on the "a" side of "Toyota", for a "diesel" emblem --

-- so, the US grille is no longer available, nor are the "diesel" emblems in the US -- what a mess -- not that a grille with 3 holes is the biggest worry in my life, but it's an annoyance --

-- any ideas from anyone on how to get the old grille?

eric :nono:

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Supporting Vendor Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    The PNC is valid, the old number is gone :tear:. The new number is a diesel application. The holes are for a "TURBO" or a "DIESEL" emblem. So, bottom line is tough s***ski. All of the old numer grilles have been purged from depot inventories. There is a chance that one or more of the thousand-odd dealers around the country may still have one of the old number. Do you have a decent long distance service? :dunno:

Dan.

3. ParadiseCruiser

ParadiseCruiser

Eric -

As of 15 June 03, there were still two Toyo dealers that had the 53111-60070 grille - no guarantees of course - but you might give a call to...

Marina Del Rey Toyota (CA) 310.827.0595   OR
      Toyota Carlsbad (CA) 760.438.0923

I called Marina Del Rey Toyo just now (11:20 am) and they told me that they had the grille. So go for it !

G.L.

R -

4. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

Hi Ron --

Thanks TONS for this -- I spoke with the two dealers -- the first one doesn't ship, and the second one does -- I'm on vacation in Calif. now, but both are at least 8 hours by car -- so we're gonna hope on the Carlsbad dealer --

-- BTW, the dealer I was working through in Mich. called me back to say Toyota corporate was using the superceded P/N till they sold out of that style grille, then they'll go back to making the grille that's actually for the US market -- with no drill-holes -- how's that for customer service? &nbsp:Dump your old junk on the customer and don't offer them what they really want -- :puke:

BTW, the friend I'm staying with has a brand new Lexus GX-470 -- what a waste of $50K (to me) -- a rebadged 4-runner that's way too narrow and with a navigation system that's better left off --

eric

5. Rogue

Rogue

You could just buy the grill with the extra holes and invest in a Safari turbo at the same time.

Then you could get a turbo emblem and you would definately have a unique truck.

6. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

Eric,

I'm only about 45 min from Carlsbad if you need help. MDR is a little further.

You must be in NoCal to be 8 hrs away. Enjoy visiting CA, then go home! Too many people out here. :D

7. Eduardo96FZJ80

Eduardo96FZJ80

Eric,
    Same here, Toyota of Carlsbad, is definetly in the vecinity.
    If I can be of any assistance, let me know.
    Eduardo :beer:

8. cruiserman

cruiserman

Curious why you don't want a used grille? Should be able to get one for a song.

9. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

I'm actually going today to a "recycling" yard (as they call them in calif.) to get a used grille --

-- it's $50 compared to the $160 new Toy. one -- you're right, it isn't worth a new one --

-- thanks all for your help and offers --

eric

10. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

Eduardo,

Where is in the vicinity? In other words, which one of the hundreds of LC's in SoCal is yours? I'm in South Orange County.

11. Eduardo96FZJ80

Eduardo96FZJ80

Brent,
    Escondido, in North San Diego County.
    Eduardo :beer: