87 FJ60 rough running, bucking at mid RPM'S (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update- I have replaced all of the vacuum lines, fuel filter and air filter. I checked the idle solenoid on the carb and it clicks when it should, so I am ruling this out. No change in idle speed with carb cleaner sprayed at carb base, but there is a noted- not drastic- change when sprayed at the intake/ head juncture.

I am going to order a manifold gasket too see if this solves everything once on. I do have two questions- make it three:

1. What is the best quality gasket to use and where can I source it?

2. No picking here please- it appears to me as if the exhaust and intake share a gasket. Is this correct? I will look up torque specs for installation.

3. Does it make sense to put a new carb flange gasket on as well? I plan on pulling the manifold and carb together if it is not necessary.

Thanks all....

EGR= let a little exast into intake stream to cool the exhaust temps. This in turn, prevents NOx to skyrocket which violates federal emission standards.

If the egr is open at idle, its like having a big vacuum leak. Pull the vac hose off on egr, put a vacuum on it with a hand held vacuum pump and release it. Do this several times. If there is a bit of carbon sitting on the needle seat, it should dislodge it, returning the idle to a more stable and smooth rpm.

A stuck open egr does not affect performance at the mid and upper range of load on the engine.

1. FelPro graplex gasket, Part # MS22813

2. Yes, there is one manifold gasket.

3. No, there is no carb gasket. Carb sits on a insulator block which has gasket material permanently bonded to it. Insulator can be re-used indefinitely, as long as nobody has f*-ed up the gasket face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom