87 FJ60 Harmonic Balancer question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
image.jpeg I just bought a pair of 60's (83 and 87). The previous owner told me that the 87 just needed the crankshaft pulley nut and the key to get back on the road. I went to put it on yesterday and saw that the pulley is broken out where the key fit in. I see that I can order one of these, but am wondering if there any other options of a harmonic balancer swap from another yota or I should just bite the bullet and order an expensive used one. Thanks!

how's the receiving end of the crank? any wear on the shaft end?
wonder what else you'll find?

If you think a used one is pricey, try new. They are also available aftermarket. But, as 3 pups asks, how is the nose of the crank? Is one of the trucks a parts rig? You can use the pulley off that if the crank on the 87 is good.

We ask because if the pulley or nut goes at speed, usually the crank snout is trashed, or the keyway.

Then you should just try installing a replacement.

Maybe 3 pups has a used HB to sell you?

Or you could PM Georg (MUD name OrangeFJ45 ), he's a pro in Stockton. @orangefj45

I didn't notice that it was trashed. When I get my hands on a good pulley, I will try it out.

When installing the replacement, it's important to torque the pulley nut to spec (I forget, but it's a lot), so it does not come loose again.

If suggest you buy a new harmonic balancer and install it.
Get in touch with Martin Davidson in SoCal he's a great guy to deal with.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Hmmm... I think that Spike was right. I am going to have to mess with the slot on the crank, looks like it was wallowed out during the process of the pulley coming off. Not good!

Hmmm... I think that Spike was right. I am going to have to mess with the slot on the crank, looks like it was wallowed out during the process of the pulley coming off. Not good!
common issue when this failure occurs. looking at your pic of the balancer, opposite the key way appears the thickness of the balancer is less, meaning it was wobbling around for quite some time.

There are a few threads in both the 60 and 40 section about repairing the keyway, if it's not too buggered. I've also seen some youtube vids should you want to peruse there.

What would you recommend? Braze, chisel? Also, anyone know the specific dimensions on the ID of the pulley? My friend has a fab/machine shop and might build an inner sleeve for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom