'87 FJ60 "Cookie Monster" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I guess I'm in for a good ride for the foreseeable future! I've been kicking around the idea of a Land Cruiser for a few years now. I've been looking at the 60/62 and 80 series, primarily, and ultimately decided on the 60. I wanted something simple and with minimal electronics and complexity so I think I chose wisely. I had an '87 4WD pickup in college and learned a lot about Toyota's back then. I also spent my summer internship at Rod Millen Motorsports back in 2000 and got to work on a few relevant projects (His Land Cruiser and the Pikes Peak Tacoma).

So, moving forward, I have quite a project! The plan is to keep the stock height, refurbish all of the bushings throughout, clean up the interior, fix any mechanical gremlins as soon as possible, add bumpers and a roof rack, build storage cabinets in the back for camping and paint, somewhere down the road.

As it sits now, it's got 177k on the clock, a webber carb, 33-9.5's, no radio, A/C needs to be hooked up, and is in need of a tune-up. On the drive home, it sounded like the engine didn't like to go over 3k rpm, may have been a little lean, and got a little warm going uphill on the highway (not yet sure what the temperature range is on these yet and it didn't go to red). It cooled back down after I crested the hill and everything seemed back to normal. I pulled in to fill up the tank and went to start it back up and I heard 1 click and nothing after that..damn! Tried jumping it, tried pushing it, tried jiggling wires...nothing worked. I called the PO and he said he had blown a fuse before and just replaced the blown fuse to fire it back up. So, I started pulling a couple fuses (Engine, Dash, etc.) and nothing was blown. I put the fuses back in and tried to start it again...fired right up!

So, here I sit today, with a list to get to where I want to be. My hope is to eventually have a daily driver for me or my wife. My commute is 12 miles and hers will be about 5 miles, so either one of us will be fine with the Land Cruiser. I do need a recommendation on the best service manual for the '87 FJ60, and any other good advice is appreciated. Also, if your in Ashland/Medford, I would be happy to help with your project as well, after all, it's the best way to learn!

Cookie Monster 1.jpg
Cookie Monster 1.jpg
Cookie Monster 3.jpg
Cookie Monster 2.jpg
Cookie Monster 3.jpg

Cookie Monster 5.jpg

Well, I got quite a list to work through after spending a week with my cruiser. I'll be working through and posting progress as I go, so look for updates periodically.

So far I have replaced all belts, starter, battery and alternator. I need to go through and fix all of the hacks that the PO did to the emissions and clean up the engine bay while I'm at it. I need all new hoses and fuel lines, need all new TRE's, all new suspension bushings and will replace shackles with greaseable pins, I will need help figuring out how to tighten the gears in the steering box, needs a new exhaust gasket and I figure I might as well throw a new header on it, need to put the stock air cleaner on it to cut down gas fumes and probably all new fluids. The interior needs a new dash cap, radio/speakers, carpet and seat covers, and either new, or rebuilt window regulators.

Parts order today...
  • Tie Rod Ends
  • Poly Bushing Kit
  • Anti-Inversion Shackles and Greaseable Pins
  • Axle Rebuild Kit
  • Header
  • Carb 1-Piece Riser
  • Air Cleaner Adapter for Stock Air Cleaner
  • Dash Cap
  • Front Brakes/Pads
  • Coolant Hose Kit

Had to order a few more parts today because my water pump seized on the way home from work yesterday...Also noticed the tires are cracked around the sidewall so it took a while to source some 33's that were less than 12.5" wide!
  • Water Pump
  • Radiator Hose Kit and Clamps
  • 33x10.5x15 General Tire Grabber's
Parts are starting to arrive from my first order and I should be able to start some work this weekend!

Question: Should I replace the fan clutch while I'm at it or is there a way to test the clutch? It's another $60 I don't want to spend if I don't need to..

To test the fan clutch you can do the following.

Warm the truck up to operating temp and then stick a piece of cardboard into the fan. If the fan slowly stops you have a bad fan clutch. If it tears thru the cardboard you have a good fan clutch. Watch your fingers!

All of that to say I would still replace the fan clutch. For the cost of a tank of gas you wIll have one less thing to worry about.

Bill D.

Welcome and enjoy the ride in every sense of the word.

Well, I started ripping into it this weekend! Pulled out some old vacuum lines that were going nowhere and needed to be re-routed when I start putting it back together, pulled out old wiring, pulled all of the coolant/oil cooler hoses to replace, pulled the water pump (seized last week), pulled the thermostat housing and started cleaning up everything. Grease, oil, power steering fluid, road grime is pretty heavily caked on there. Next is to pull the intake/exhaust and get ready for a new header and replace the gaskets on the carb. I also started on the front endlinks/stabilizer...That stabilizer must not come off?? I rapped on it with my ball joint tool and nothing happened! Looks like a new stabilizer is in order since the original, with ball joint ends, is toast now! Tires arrived today as well. I need to pull the old ones off and mount the new ones. I'll probably paint the wheels while I'm at it. I'm thinking a dark bronze color will look nice. I'll take some pictures when I do something impressive...

Tires came in yesterday! The tires on the car we bought were cracked all the way around the sidewall, so some new tires were in order. Finding 33/9.5/15 are nearly impossible, 33/10.5/15 are limited and 33/12.5/15 are too wide. The General Grabbers were a perfect fit for the 60 and my budget!
photo.JPG

Nice rig. I like the wheels, you keeping them? They look like stock steelies

Sweet rig. Interior looks in great shape. I'm in the Southwest where trucks tend to be rust free but interiors totally roached. Sounds like you are well on your way to enjoying the ride! I just picked up a 60 myself and have a set of factory steelies that I am tossing around switching onto the rig. Like you said, not many options for tall and narrow on a 15" rim aside from the often sourced BFG AT/MT options. Would love to see pics of the grabbers once you get them mounted.

Those are stock steelies and they will stay. They are more unique than custom wheels and will be painted a dark bronze. Eventually the truck will get color matched monstaliner.

The Grabbers are cool, I'm considering a set for mine too.

Moving along...I finished changing out all of the coolant, heater, and oil cooler lines, changed out the water pump, re-installed the A/C and Alternator and moved to the other side. Now I got the power steering pump off and out of the way (it seems to have a small leak), removed the carb, intake and exhaust manifolds. There were no less than 3 exhaust leaks showing on the gasket and all of the intake/exhaust bolts were barely tight. Looks like all new bolts will be on order to replace the old rusty bolts. I've also got to get the new header and intake to a machinist to match them. I went with the cheaper 6-1 header from JT Outfitters, which should work nicely. The carb is a Webber and it was leaking gas everywhere, so new gaskets will be on order for it as well.

Here's some progress pics:
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 1.JPG

May be a good time to consider doing the galley plug fix. I haven't had any issues with mine but others have. Search the forum for more info.

Cool rig. Seems like you're doing all the right stuff to her. Once dialed in they really are such great trucks to drive.

Be interested to hear how how you like those tires. Keep us posted.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom