84 FJ60 transmission and transfer case overhaul

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by spongejosh, Dec 14, 2010.

1. spongejosh

spongejosh

My “new” 1984 FJ60 is leaking like a sieve. I’ve replaced the PS pump and cleaned up that mess. Since then I’ve noticed it’s still dripping from the trans/t-case. I haven’t climbed under and removed the skid plate to see exactly where it is coming from. The oil pan gasket and rear main should be easy enough to replace if they are leaking. I figure if I have to remove the trans to do the rear main (and replace a noisy throw out bearing (which will turn into a clutch job)) I might as well reseal the trans and transfer case. They have 250k miles on them and I figure a rebuild couldn’t hurt.

My questions are regarding the difficulty of a rebuild and what parts are needed.

1. I can turn a wrench like a champ but I’ve never been inside a transmission. Does a reseal and new bearings require setting up gear tolerances or micro measurements?
    2. I have the tools needed to pull the trans and do a clutch. Do I need a press or any special tools to do the job?
    3. Will the transmission and transfer case rebuild kits from Custom Cruisers be all that I need? Part# TC8085 and Part# TR47586 Do these contain every seal, gasket and O-ring I will need. I don’t want to buy a “kit” and not get all the output seals or something.
    4. Are there any other mods or maintenance I should do while I’m at it. I already plan on doing the 2-lo mod and hex head drain plugs, anything else?

I’ve searched and seen a couple threads with people rebuilding t-cases but nothing really step by step. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Josh
  2. LCOwner

LCOwner SILVER Star

The t-case will need to be disassembled to seperate it from the trans. There should be only a couple bearings in the trans and as long as it's shifting fine I wouldn't bother with the syncros. There is a seal between the trans and t-case that must be changed to keep the gear oil from pumping into the trans and that MUST be changed. Inspect the output bearings in the t-case, not all may neet to be replaced. The hardest part of a reassembly is getting the preload right. The thickness of the gasket actually effects the whch shim you will nee to use to set the preload. I recommend using Toyota gaskets since it will give you a better chance of hitting that with the stock existing shim. If not you may have to hunt them down and experiment with thicknesses. Buy a service manual.
  3. Check your oil pan. Chances are good that there is rust hole under the skid plate and its trying to impersonate a rear main leak. FTR, the shims on the T-case can be accessed through the cover that sits behind the rear output flange. Not hard to set up. I personally prefer RTV on the T-case union as opposed to the gasket since I hate doing things twice when a leak develops. There are O-rings on either end of the idler shaft that are must-dos. Beware, if you pull the T-case apart, try to leave the idler shaft in place or it will open up a passage for the tranny fluid to dump out in your crotch when you pull the rear of the T-case off. Take a good look at the idler gear's inner bore, the idler bearings and the shaft itself. That seems to be, at least for me, where things go south.
  4. DrivingMissRosey

DrivingMissRosey

I would investigate if you have gear oil or motor oil leaking. Remove the skid plate, use a degreasing spray, then pressure wash and see where the leaks are. I've started enough projects to know that if you are going to do something that isn't necessary and only for the sake of "well, as long as I'm here...", you are really opening up a can of worms and your cruiser will sit idle for longer than is comfortable. I know I go through withdrawal of driving my 60 and thats sucks. I'm not saying not do the job, but just make darn sure you know what the actual problem is and have all the parts to fix it before you start.
  5. spongejosh

spongejosh

I peeked under this morning and the main puddle I'm seeing is engine oil. The oil pan does have a film on it but oil is dripping from the mount in front of the clutch cover and from the clutch cover. I could see the rear output on the transfer case also has a trail of greasy nasty mess coming out of it covering the whole rear of the tc and skidplate. I will take the skid plate off this weekend and try to find everywhere it's leaking from.

Also having the cruiser in the garage for a month isn't a big deal. I'll just have to leave my car in the driveway.