84 FJ60 Resto, (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very good job. I love watching someone make a classic new again. :beer:

Thanks for the nice comments guys! Don't be jealous over the paint booth...I know some may look at it as boasting, but I've got a lot of money invested in it and I was just so proud that I had to share it;).

Anyhow, I got board after eating dinner (what's with the lack of quality TV anymore?) and went out to the garage to continue the madness. Let's just say I had a clean floor :D. I went ahead and pulled the axles and leafs; which was a major PITA as only one of the cross pins came out without me having to cut it. Here's a couple more pics:

The bottom's not so clean, looks like I'll be wire-wheeling tomorrow night.
Picture%20063.jpg

Picture%20065.jpg

Both axles awaiting rebuilds & fresh coats of paint
Picture%20067.jpg

Picture%20068.jpg

Front axle; and it's taken a lot of pressure washing to even get it this clean:
Picture%20071.jpg

And, sneak peak of the 350. Awaiting TBI manifold and new oil pan, timing chain & cover, and valve covers:
Picture%20074.jpg

:cheers:

No real photo updates for today, but I did get the majority of the engine pieces cleaned/painted tonight. In addition I pulled the pan on the SBC and found it is a 4 bolt main block. Running the casting #'s indicates its a high nickel block from an early 70's camaro...pretty cool I guess.

Impressive. Your shop rocks!

Thanks man! I should be posting some new pics very soon. I took Monday off, and hope to get the frame painted with rust bullet and the front rear axles rebuilt.

Skinner,

You asked a question earlier about the best way to clean the body on the underside.
If you have more work besides cleaning the underside of the body, like sectioning out rust you might want to consider the utility of a rotisserie. This gives you a comfortable work position on almost every surface of the body.

I have seen on other threads some designs with a materials list to assist you in the assembly if you choose to make one.

Thanks for posting, I find your your project encouraging.

Rick

Skinner,

You asked a question earlier about the best way to clean the body on the underside.
If you have more work besides cleaning the underside of the body, like sectioning out rust you might want to consider the utility of a rotisserie. This gives you a comfortable work position on almost every surface of the body.

I have seen on other threads some designs with a materials list to assist you in the assembly if you choose to make one.

Thanks for posting, I find your your project encouraging.

Rick

It's funny you say that. I just sold my rotisserie. I had built it for a Olds 442 project that a friend was working on, but the car ended up getting scrapped and the rotisserie was taking up so much space. It had hydraulic cylinders on each end and made it a breeze to flip the 442. You're right, it would have worked well for the FJ. :doh:

Last edited:
Quick frame painting update:

I had the day off today and I was able to get my frame painted with rust bullet. I sprayed it through an HVLP gun and it turned out excellent, however, I questions RustBullet's statement that it does not need to be thinned to be sprayed (they actually say it can't be thinned). I used the nozzle size that they recommend, but it still didn't spray as smoothly as I thought it should. Here are a few pics:

Picture%20075.jpg

Picture%20078.jpg

Picture%20082.jpg

Picture%20083.jpg

Picture%20086.jpg

Picture%20088.jpg

I'll be spraying the semi-gloss black on it tomorrow night.

I got the first coat of black on last night and took some pictures this evening. I'll be putting a second coat down tonight for good measure, although I'm not sure it needs it.

As I said in the previous post, the Rust Bullet did not spray very well using the 1.4mm tip HVLP gun I have (the black sprayed beautifully however). This resulted in very very very slow progress (think 4 hours to do 2 coats) As such, I sprayed 2 medium to heavy coats instead of the 3 light coats recommended. Rust Bullet cautions against this for aesthetic reasons as it causes very small CO2 bubbles to form during curing. While this may not be good for a hot rod or factory resto....I FRIGGIN LOVE THE WAY IT LOOKS! :D It almost gives the frame a texture that looks similar to bedliner and it hides the akward transitions from clean frame, to rusty frame, to imperfect frame, etc. Check out the pics:

Picture%20095.jpg

Picture%20097.jpg

Picture%20099.jpg

Picture%20104.jpg

Picture%20106.jpg

I laid down the second coat tonight; everything went really smoothly. I think I will focus on getting the "paint booth" dismantled tomorrow night and then start tearing down the springs for cleaning, repaint, and AAL addition. My wife is out of town this weekend so I am hoping to get the front and rear axle torn down, cleaned up, knuckles rebuilt, brakes replaced, etc., and then I can paint both axles and all the leafs.

With any luck I may have a rolling chassis back by the end of the weekend!!

I laid down the second coat tonight; everything went really smoothly. I think I will focus on getting the "paint booth" dismantled tomorrow night and then start tearing down the springs for cleaning, repaint, and AAL addition. My wife is out of town this weekend so I am hoping to get the front and rear axle torn down, cleaned up, knuckles rebuilt, brakes replaced, etc., and then I can paint both axles and all the leafs.

With any luck I may have a rolling chassis back by the end of the weekend!!

I want your skills!

Zack

Weekend Update,

It's been a little bit since I posted pic updates. I've got the AAL's installed, the spring packs cleaned and repainted, the rear axle done, the front axle torn down and now painted. Just need to put it together and throw the chassis back together. Here are a couple pics from the painting process:

Picture%20108.jpg

Picture%20110.jpg

Picture%20111.jpg

Picture%20117.jpg

Oh yeah, I got my series 97 rockcrawlers ordered too. I still need to find a local shop that has/can get 33x10.50r15 BFG AT's. . .every shop so far says they can't get them?? If not, looks like I'll be going with the MT's.

I still need to find a local shop that has/can get 33x10.50r15 BFG AT's. . .every shop so far says they can't get them?

Summit Racing has them. I was under the impression that 10.5's were easier to get ahold of than 9.5's, but maybe that's not the case?

Butt

This project is totally inspiring. I can't wait until the day when:
1. I have an extra 60 sitting around that I can do something like that too. {Need mine to get to work and play... my wife's 325 XI just doesn't handle like Clifford does}
2. I have the time to do something like that.
3. I have a shop 1/2 as cool as yours to do something like that in.
4. I have the skills to pull something like that off...
5. Recognizing that I most likely won't have said skills... I then have the balls to try it anyway so that I can acquire said skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom