84 bj46 long term maintenance, repair and upgrade- making it mine. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got out in the snow a bit today. We got a good last night. Took my boy out for some sledding.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Pete

In terms of the mud flaps they are working well. But I do need to add some stays to keep them in place. It turns out that the weight of the snow attached to the flap pulls it down from time to time. Even as they are they do the job of keeping snow and mud from building up on the rear crossmember and the protect the rear tail lights better than the original guards which always trapped mud. I have not cleaned behing them once since I put them on and although the pic came out blurry you can see that they are doing the job. First the front of the truck just to show that I was in deeper than the bumper. Then in the second pic yhou can see the biuld up on the bottom of the 4-plus tail light guard but non above it on the rear of the tail light.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Pete

Just read your fantastic thread. I have been to Japan 9 times and love it! Including several visits to Happo One in Hakuba. I always wondered about off roading in those parts.

I admire your careful approach and the results it yields. It does seem like the supply of JDM land cruisers is drying up a bit... Keep up the great pics!

Just an oddity from the very late model cruisers. This is an electromechanical intermittent wiper timer. It was complaining with each revolution. A little light oil on the shafts and good to go for a long time.

image.jpg

I got 2 projects underway in preparation for the yearly Snow Attack meeting at the end of this month. First is the addition of 2 rails which will be used to run straps to for holding lighter weight gear to the wheel wells. I have the straps etc on the way as well. I'm planning on painting these to match the body.

image.jpg

The straps will have snap hooks on the top end and cleats for the airline track on the bottom.
image.jpg

These are just fastened using the jump seat locations.

image.jpg

The rails also located this footer that will be the base for my sleeping platform. I'll have to pull the front passenger seat to fit it so its for solo trips only.
image.jpg

For the platform itself I'm going to try 4 these light weight panels that I bought at the home center rather than the usual plywood platforms that most make. These are lighter, can stack and stow easily within the soft top bows. I've got a ways to go yet..... But not much time to get it done.

image.jpg

Pete

Pete, Just an aside: I haven't seen one of those old Admiral refrigerators in a few years--my family used to keep one out in our garage for the overflow of food during parties.

BTW, keep up the good work !

Frickn thing keeps on ticking. Just using it as a cabinet at the moment though.

P

These are components of my sleeping platform. I'm using 3 store bought platforms made OD red pine typically used outside of bathing areas. The rest is scrap wood and one 18mm aluminium tube for the legs. The materials cost about 6000¥- $50. It's a test run. I'll build the final version with nicer plywood for the legs.

The stay for attaching light cargo straps:

image.jpg

The footer:

image.jpg

Which tightly fits behind the carco stay:

image.jpg

3 of 4 support legs.

image.jpg

And a sheet OD plywood that bolts into the stock seat mounts. A little cheezy maybe... But it works.
image.jpg

Pete.

The 3 platforms stack above the soft top bows when stowed. I still have to work out how to secure them. Having separate panels is nice because not only can they be compact, I can move them around very easily. The platforms are lighter that full sheets of plywood as well.

image.jpg

The front goes in first. There are holes in the platform frames that correspond the the aluminum dowels in the legs as well as the footer.

image.jpg

The center piece and second leg go in next. As you can see the rear seats folded down fit under.

image.jpg

Then the 3rd platform:

image.jpg

You can see the 3rd leg here. Its the same 18mm tuber that I used for the location dowels.

image.jpg

So as you can see the front seat has to come out which is fine because this is for solo winter trips.

Pete

The Exped just barely fits. This is the most comfortable thing I have ever slept on.
image.jpg

Trial run- first test night.
image.jpg

My room for the night:

image.jpg
image.jpg

Morning view:

image.jpg

I've never slept better!

Pete

Wicked bed platform! I've been toying with different ideas for a platform in my bj42. Would be nice to not have to set up a tent each night.

Bear-

You nailed it. Wth this thing in my truck along with sleepy my gear I've got a mobil dog house! Not planning ahead though. I've been there enough to see the need. It's the perfect Papa's gonna slip away for the night" setup. There are many nice places to sleep at within 20 minutes from home.

And S.P. I love this setup. It's up and down so fast and I can do it all from within the truck if need be. I think with a more narrow sleeping pad you could pull it off in a short wheelbase.

The platform is 197x80cm but as you can see it narrows at the foot end to fit the angle of the door.

Thanks guys-

Pete

Last edited:
When opening the thread I see this platform and seats removed... Knowing your line of buisness I was thinking it was a special carrier for some delicate japanese pottery... I was having visions of 'A Single Shard' (the book... i highly recomend your kids will love it) traveling distances to keep the precious cargo intact... Then I see the bed ... Still thinking it is work related... Long driving distances, sleep and wake to continue your journey

... But... It's for a club meeting a gathering of cruiser nuts like us ... Too cool :)

I want to make a sleeping arrangement in my utility trailer... I love your ideas here ... May steal some aspects of this setup :)

Johnny- steal away! It's working out great so far. And yes it will be used for work as well actually... well sorta. I plan on taking the long way to future exhibitions...

I'm using lynx straps fpr the first time. http://lynxhooks.com/lynx-hooks/purchase.html They are very handy. They have just the right amount of stretch and being adjustable makes them very very handy. The 3 platforms with the legs also held in up in the rafters:

image.jpg

The opposite side has a net from safaristraps.com: http://www.safaristraps.com/product-p/100p-19x41.htm

image.jpg

Keeping the sleeping rolls on the opposite side leave what little headroom there is above the platform open. With the bedroll stuff out the net remains and acts as a shelf. Clothes, stuff sacks, what have you can be stashed up there while camping. With the rear seats flipped to the back it leaves a nice little hang out spot where I could sit and cook or read. or whatever. Also sporting my new to me Coleman 518D catalytic white gas heater. GOnna try it out tonight and see if it can double as a single pan stove..
image.jpg
image.jpg

Test pilots..... They love having the seat face the rear.
image.jpg

Pete

..... Also sporting my new to me Coleman 518D catalytic white gas heater. GOnna try it out tonight and see if it can double as a single pan stove..
Pete

Is that safe to use in such a confined space Pete?

(One hears stories of people dying from carbon monoxide when trying to keep warm using appliances that burn fuel without any proper ventilation.)

:beer:

Edit....Never mind.. Apparently they are supposed to be relatively safe
http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/2012/02/catalytic-heaters.php

I'm still not sure I'd use it though... Your space is VERY small compared to a typical RV..

If you do use it, I would crack open both front windows. That way, you would at least get a little cross ventilation in case of some CO buildup. Better safe than sorry!

Well I tried the heater out a bit. It's rated at 3000btu. But I have to say that it's just enough to take the edge off but not gonna warm the cab up enough to keep you toasty in your undies. Haha.

At any rate I have to keep the windows open a bit just to keep the condensation down. Otherwise I get drips off of the inside of the top.

Pete

Finally got some time in on the cruiser. Just enough time to pick up this fridge magnet I found lying in from the front bumper and mounted to the hood.

image.jpg

Actually have gone through a bit of an acquirement faze. I got the cables measured and ordered and have arrived and they are mechanical works of art. These will run the PTO winch and cable lockers. The PTO will run from a dash mounted high/low lever off of an early cruiser.
image.jpg

They are Cablecraft cables built by Tom at engineering components Inc. Highly recommended.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The plan is to run the cable locker cables with early cast-iron PTO shift levers .......if I can find them.

Pete

Just an oddity from the very late model cruisers. This is an electromechanical intermittent wiper timer. It was complaining with each revolution. A little light oil on the shafts and good to go for a long time.

View attachment 1015726

That is too cool! Where does that module mount? Does it sit between the switch and the wiper motor? I have been looking for a Toyota solution to intermittent wipers and this might just be the ticket. Any more pics of it?

Also I have a 1968 Coleman Model 513 catalytic heater and they are not that great at heating. I use a Little Buddy propane heater and it puts out 8000 BTU which will easily heat up any vehicle quickly. Plus is has a tip over feature and low O2 sensor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom