80 to 120 Mudder Introduction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all you 120 guys and gals. I am coming over from several years on the 80 Forums and would like to introduce myself. I live in Lake Tahoe and my Mudder name is TahoeLX450.

However, miss-fortune "befell" my cherry 1997 LX450 (159K) three weeks ago when hundreds of pounds of roof ice slid from a second story onto my 80 while parked at work. Both my truck and a coworker's 2009 Yukon were totaled in this freak accident. No one was hurt though but our poor trucks... My truck was original cherry paint with ONLY a nickle size ding on the hood where a pine cone fell on in last summer. 2.5 Lift, all new leather, 33" Duratracks, sliders etc and an engine compartment you could eat off of.

Needing a vehicle quickly I considered a 100 series and found the nice lower mileage ones within 500 miles were gone in a day. I began reading about the GX470s and became intrigued. After further reading page after page here at 120 Mud I began searching and found mine in a couple days at a dealer in Modesto, CA. Mine is Pearl White, fully dealer serviced (have all the records), '06 in near mint condition with 100K. Nav, entertainment etc without the "K" suspension--which I didn't want because the Gentleman's sliders will be ordered very soon.

I am after a mild "Tahoe" trail rig. We have nasty, snowy, roads and miles of off road to play on after work and the weekends from late spring to fall. I already added 31.7" Duratracks (which is a GREAT tire for my area which can have snow 8 months out of the year). A 2" Rancho Leveling kit came today. I went with the Rancho 9000 as they are adjustable as was the TJM's on my 80 and I had it dialed in for my taste. The roads are potted up badly up here and don't want to rattle my dash apart as a daily driver. I have custom springs for the rear being made and should be done in about 5 weeks. I am going mild because even teenagers had a hard time getting in my 80 and the 33's +" kill power at above 6000' without a re-gear. I frequently play above 8000' and my 80 was a real slug with 33's. The 4.7 has way more usable HP but also has 3.73 (I believe) vs 4.11 as in the 80 and I did loose noticeable "getty up" just going to the 31.7's 10 plys at altitude.

My only regret so far is just that I went with the 10 Ply Duratracks like on my 80. However, I probably should have gone with the 6 ply because the less weight of the GX gets a fairly harsh ride not felt in the heavier 80. I am hoping new shocks and springs will help as the OEM shocks/springs/ bags (just recently refreshed by the dealer) doesn't keep up (the rear wheels kinda "pogo" with the extra 11lbs of tire per wheel when hitting pot holes.

So far I am really enjoying the swiftness and nibbleness of the GX and despite the loss of the LX I believe the GX was a great choice for me.

Well, I will have lots of questions about suspension, racks, sliders, aux switch placement, exhaust etc in the near future and want to thank you in advance for your tips and advice.

Misha = Tahoe LX

Last edited:
Wow what a freak incident and awful loss of your 80! Thankfully no-one was injured.

So funny that so many 80 owners move into the GX. Welcome, and enjoy it!

Welcome another 80 owner!

Welcome to the Wood Grain Warrior brotherhood. .. I'm certain you will be more than pleased with your new vehicle. .. excited to hear your interest in our sliders ... the kdss version is not far off ... we have volunteer coming in from ATL at the end of the month to be measure and fitted

Welcome! You made a good choice for sure!

Welcome, another 80 to 120 owner. Enjoy!

Ola, and enjoy your 120! Awful to hear about your 80 though, that sucks.

I went from an 80 to a GX as well. The GX works better as a road trip vehicle, but I sure do miss my 80. Incredible vehicle, but it no longer fit my life. I should probably change my avatar one of these days . . .

I have both. 80 is a monster (literally) and the GX seems to fit the bill most often.

Thinking of selling the 80 to fund a second GX build :p

This is going to be the first year we won't be heading to the big meat run BMR. Gonna miss wheelin the 80 with the big L on the front. She was a beast and grabbed a lot of attention. I'm sure the new GX will do the same.

Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom