80 Series Starter Differences with Pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcteryx

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruiseryard.com
Note- I will update the 3FE starters soon.

My starter on my 94 was going out. I wanted to replace it with the larger 2.2 KW starter. I figured I would write this up so others can see the difference. I am sure this is elsewhere but maybe not.

Below are 4 starters for 1FZ and 3FE engines. The 1FZ has 3 starters, the 3FE has 2.
1- 12V 1.4KW, part # 28100-66040
2- 12V 2.0KW, part # 28100-66060
3- 12V 2.2KW, part # 28100-66050
4- 3FE TBD soon as soon as I find the 2 starters in my stockpile

Below are pics of the 3 1FZ starters and a 80 series 3FE. My 94 came with the small 1.4KW, southern truck so the higher KW ones were not always offered from what I understand.

The size between the 1.4KW and either of the 2x KW is very noticeable. Between the 2.0KW and 2.2KW, the yoke is slightly bigger. You will also notice the 3FE is reversed as it resides on the right side/US. passenger side. US spec 1FZ started on the the left/driver side.

If you live in the south or someplace where it is warm, the 1.4KW will suffice. If you are want to the the overachiever or live someplace where it gets cold, you should look at one of the the 2.x starters.

Pics below are from Left to right

3FE, 1.4KW, 2.2KW, 2.0KW. It may not look like it in this pic, but the 2.2 has a bigger yoke than the 2.0.

IMG_6591.JPG

2.0KW, 2.2KW, 1.4KW, 3FE

IMG_6592.JPG

2.0KW, 2.2KW, 1.4KW, 3FE

IMG_6595.JPG

I have heard the 2.2 outlasts the 2.0.
Does the 2.0 outlast the 1.4?
Are there any downsides to the 2.0?
Is it a better starter in warm weather for a small difference in price?

I can't speak about longevity. As I mentioned above:

If you live in the south or someplace where it is warm, the 1.4KW will suffice. If you are want to the the overachiever or live someplace where it gets cold, you should look at one of the the 2.x starters.

In short, it just depends on price

I live in Southern California and will rarely experience extremely cold weather. I am wondering if there is an overbuilt quality of a 2.0 that won’t have any negative side effects or if it’s not even something to consider.

It’s a Denso, just get one at a price you feel ok with, the rest is over analyzing. Whatever you choose will last a long time

Thanks @arcteryx saved me from posting this lol
I’m not sure about the starter. Truck was purchased at Toyota Mazda Greenwich CT where it lived for a couple years then To Jackson Hole Wyoming. They more then likely got the lower kw starter but I’m not sure. I’ll take a look here when I get a chance. Thanks for the inquiry. I didn’t realize there w 3 different starters from factory.

I wonder, has anyone tried swapping a 2.0 or 2.2kw motor onto a 3FE nose cone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom