80 Series Group Buy - LED Light Bars (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nick, email sent.

Replied.

This, and a few other reason, is why I will buy any LED bars or task lights from you. Your knowledge on how these work is phenomenal! So along those lines can a light be mounted too low? I guess height improves throw so if you mount it too low then it can't reach as far, correct?

It's tough to say, the higher the unit that is emitting light the less "3D" the surface will become, it will however help broadcast light further. There is a trade off and can be severe depending on terrain. A low mounted light is going to create shadows on rough terrain and make the terrain easier to read at a faster pace. A unit mounted (say on the bumper) is going to suffer mildly from not being mounted high, and will have more obstructions (obstacles) in the way, and the majority of the light will be lower, as the light hits obstacles (bumps, rocks, road conditions) it is eliminated from the beam pattern. If you are flying through a smooth road that you are familiar with or know there are no unforeseen obstacles a roof mounted light is best, you don't need the "3D" portion of sight as much. Unfamiliar, bumpy and a road that requires a bit more "3D" (seeing bumps, dips, rocks, etc) vision is best mounted lower at a slight sacrifice of long distance vision. That is why I have a roof mounted light bar, and a bumper mounted light bar :) :) :)

As far as a roof mounted light causing excessive foreground light, that is a common issue. The very sharp 8* beam pattern is going to place the hotspot far in front of the vehicle. A lot of the sub-par LED Light Bars you find on eBay have a 30* Spot and a 120* Flood. Both of those beam patterns will put 50-75% of the net lumens right in front of the bumper and on the hood. This will constrict the pupils with 10,000 lumens of light in front of you and reduce your long distance sight and completely wash out any "3D" aspect of driving. This is a perfect example of what I am referring to. People can argue you can adjust to it or get used to it, it's not something you can compensate for, or adjust too. It's the nature of the product, the optics, and the driving situation. Aiming the beam upwards will reduce the wash out, but it also wastes the lumens and the additional power draw on the vehicles system is unnecessary. The human eye is a crazy thing, gotta pay attention to how it reacts with lighting.

Credit of Photos goes to jdeitch, Rigid Industries 40" mounted on his roof. Note the loss of "3D".

attachment.php

Low beams only showing bumps, and other irregularities.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Well that answers that. On my pickup I will be looking for the later so mounting above the bumper but below the hood line with the 2x2 mounted a little lower will probably give me what I am after. Was thinking of mounting the bar lower but I started thinking that I might jeopardize the useable output if I got it too low.

Thanks

Gents,

The website is up. If you could please write a review for the product you purchased I would be extremely happy. I have setup a 15% off coupon for all MUD members. If you would like to place an order and take advantage of this please PM me. I am adding products daily

Nick

http://www.shop.expeditionlighting.org

Last edited:
Nick, is the 42" what you were blinding people with at Logan's Run?

I need to ditch my Hella's and get one if it was..

Lily's Dad...

Nick, is the 42" what you were blinding people with at Logan's Run?

I need to ditch my Hella's and get one if it was..

Lily's Dad...

Yessir it was! I'll shoot you a message on FB regarding Logan's Run this year

When are the ELS stickers going to be ready? :grinpimp:

Last edited:
RolandFJ40 said:
Damn, wish u had them to throw into the orders for the GB.

I still have everyone's shipping address. I will be sending them out when they are made. I will post up when the time comes.

Here is the installation for my 22" light bar on the ARB bumper....

I wanted it recessed and out of the way... so I drilled and welded-in two fine thread nuts with fine thread stainless steel bolts into the upper round tube of the ARB.

I also will be using antitheft stainless steel hardware for a little more peace of mind.

Here are some pics...

I did have to take the bumper off to do this right.
I did not mind as Im also going to do some mods on the bumper and have to fix a little leak on my tranny cooler that sits on the front grill.

IMAG2452.jpg

IMAG2454.jpg

IMAG2455.jpg

IMAG2456.jpg

IMAG2457.jpg

IMAG2459.jpg

IMAG2460.jpg

IMAG2463.jpg

IMAG2469.jpg

Using the rubber isolators makes the lights looked crooked (not leveled) I took them off and they are nice and straight.... it is probably due to the bracket being flat going against a round surface... No biggie really just thought I mentioned it....
The hardware that came with the light was flaky giving out small particle of the finish but I was not planning on using it anyways.

I did try the light the other night and I was amazed how much light and how far it gives out......

All and all Im quite happy with my purchase...

Thanks NICK !!!!

Last edited:
I dig it.

MANUCHAO said:
Here is the installation for my 22" light bar on the ARB bumper....

I wanted it recessed and out of the way... so I drilled and welded-in two fine thread nuts with fine thread stainless steel bolts into the upper round tube of the ARB.

I also will be using antitheft stainless steel hardware for a little more peace of mind.

Here are some pics...

I did have to take the bumper off to do this right.
I did not mind as Im also going to do some mods on the bumper and have to fix a little leak on my tranny cooler that sits on the front grill.

Using the rubber isolators makes the lights looked crooked (not leveled) I took them off and they are nice and straight.... it is probably due to the bracket being flat going against a round surface... No biggie really just thought I mentioned it....
The hardware that came with the light was flaky giving out small particle of the finish but I was not planning on using it anyways.

I did try the light the other night and I was amazed how much light and how far it gives out......

All and all Im quite happy with my purchase...

Thanks NICK !!!!

This is really nice to see. Keep up the install documentation. Electrical would be cool to see as well, relay, switch, etc...

Cheers!

Installed a 2x2 on my ladder. Would love to pick up four more of these at the group buy price. Will that be happening again??

image-2672683716.jpg

Installed a 2x2 on my ladder. Would love to pick up four more of these at the group buy price. Will that be happening again??

I am opening up a coupon code for 15%, that will put the prices close to GB pricing. I will also be hosting another GB in the future if there is interest.

I am opening up a coupon code for 15%, that will put the prices close to GB pricing. I will also be hosting another GB in the future if there is interest.

I think there is a lot of interest in another group by :clap:

I think there is a lot of interest in another group by :clap:

Since this is a tech section, it's really not appropriate for a GB. Let me see where I sit with a GB and will have some details soon. It will most likely be in the Vendor Section.

This time everyone will be ordering through a website :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom