80 Series Flip Windows: Just to prove that they do exist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, day to day use also sucks. I shuttle my son and his 3 buddies to lacrosse practice and have to open/close the rear hatch every time I pick up a kid. They have a ton of gear!

Since I usually mount my fridge on the passenger side, that's where I'll probably install the flip-up.

I've typed it somewhere before; but these are the kind of addition that is absolutely amazing.... once you forget how much you spent on them.
We've obviously got a lot more than the purchase price tied up in the ones on our truck, but I don't remember any of that whenever I pop them open to grab something quick, or swing them out at camp for a nice ventilated home-on-wheels, or grab a drink from the fridge, or....

When I use the tailgate lid it's an "oh that's nice to have this stuff right here" but I could live without it. The windows are just a "holy-crap that makes a world of difference".

If you actually use your truck, you wont be sorry.
At least I'm not, and the few people that have them so far don't seem to be either.
KR

Oopps, sorry, didn't see this note.
Anyway, will be ready "sometime in the Fall"
Not exactly sure when but as soon as possible.

I've got a couple of sets that will be installed this spring to get tested and then I'll start building them in the Fall as soon as I have shop set back up. (have to head over to MT for a summer job to make some funds first)

:cheers:
KR

Could do a Pre-Production buy-in?

One side or the other is fine, but one thing that would be an issue is that since the ONLY place where there is room on the 80 body for the mechanical actuator is right where the rear marker light goes, it would be best to plug the non-operation side with the same actuator so that you don't end up with one marker light "out".

Installed a powder coated set the other day:

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

That's one nice white 80...oh ya it's mine ;)

Now more cooler with gull wings ;)

-A

60 lift windows

Don't blame me but a lot of people at GSMTR were asking me (every time I popped one of the windows open:)) Who and Where and did they come for an 80? You know me I can't keep my big trap shut but don't you dare blame me,,,,see ya.:cheers:

How much would two shipped to 70568 cost?
Thanks

Pricing will be the exact same as with the 60 series windows, shipping would probably be between $50-60.
http://wagongear.com/shop/flip-up-hatch-window/

Unlike the 60 versions that all have the factory glass to work with, if you have not already switched to the solid glass for the 80s you will need that as well.

Toyota part numbers:
62712-60030
&
62711-60070
(just the glass is needed, none of the gaskets or vent trims, should be about $140 per side depending on your dealer)

Have you considered adding a "bar" to the inside of the frame like what the early 45LV's had? Seems like you could have it bolt on easy enough if someone didn't like it. I'm thinking it would not only protect the glass from shifting cargo, but would also function as a handle to close it from the inside if you like sleeping in the back. Of course, pop in insect screen might be nice too. :)

So when's the 40 & 100 version coming? :)

I've thought about integrating a bar or a security grid or something into the frame but when it comes right down to it tempered glass is really strong everywhere other than the edges, if a higher level of durability is needed I think it would be better to just go with a solid panel replacement.

You can already just pull the window shut from inside by giving the bottom edge a yank, we camp in the truck all the time so those were primary concerns.

And NO DAMN SCREENS!
I think screens are just really silly, they seem like a good option if you don't give the whole problem much thought, but loose all practicality when the whole picture is considered. I've posted this before:
The problem with putting screens on the windows is that if there are bugs, there is usually heat, which means you want as many windows open as you can, that means screens for every window, on top of that, if you are trying to keep bugs out that means you are camping in the truck, so you are going in and out. Every time a door gets opened, the bugs get in.

For comparison, we just have a $6 queen bed sized mosquito net, it's kept in a zip lock back in the back cargo drawer, weighs nothing, is never in the way. The few times we need it, it gets unfurled and attached to the inside roof of the truck. All windows open, lots of venting, no bugs.

With a net it hangs just where you need it and you lift up a corner to get in or out, very few bugs get in that way and the net helps to wipe any bugs off you.

In our case we have that elastic cargo net on the ceiling, so we just keep clothes pins in the mosquito net bag and clip it to that. You could just as easily keep a few magnets in the bag and just stick it to the roof with those when needed.

Much better and much cheaper than screens.
So, no screens.

It's easy enough to move this system from platform to platform now that the kinks are worked out, it's a modular setup for that reason. I would like to do a 100 series version but nobody has offered up some glass or a rear quarter window frame yet, still waiting....
As for the 40, I could do that but I think it would be a limited functionality gain, the cargo area is already so short on them that the widows wont gain you that much and they are too short to camp in so you don;t get that benefit. Would be hard to justify.

cheers,
KR

The problem with putting screens on the windows is that if there are bugs, there is usually heat, which means you want as many windows open as you can, that means screens for every window, on top of that, if you are trying to keep bugs out that means you are camping in the truck, so you are going in and out. Every time a door gets opened, the bugs get in.

For comparison, we just have a $6 queen bed sized mosquito net, it's kept in a zip lock back in the back cargo drawer, weighs nothing, is never in the way. The few times we need it, it gets unfurled and attached to the inside roof of the truck. All windows open, lots of venting, no bugs.

With a net it hangs just where you need it and you lift up a corner to get in or out, very few bugs get in that way and the net helps to wipe any bugs off you.

In our case we have that elastic cargo net on the ceiling, so we just keep clothes pins in the mosquito net bag and clip it to that. You could just as easily keep a few magnets in the bag and just stick it to the roof with those when needed.

Much better and much cheaper than screens.
So, no screens.

Just wanted to say, this is brilliant. I've run into that same problem over and over again, lots of screens on the windows and lots of bugs inside as soon as a door is open and the dome light comes on.

I wish it were!
I posted the parts and cost breakdown awhile back, I think a lot of folks don't realize just how much the hardware and materials to make things like this cost. They are almost twice as expensive as I had hoped they could be.

HatchSheet04.08.13.jpg

I wish it were!
I posted the parts and cost breakdown awhile back, I think a lot of folks don't realize just how much the hardware and materials to make things like this cost. They are almost twice as expensive as I had hoped they could be.

You could ship em to china to be built! Not!

PS. I have payment for you.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom