80 rear bumper design/build.. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry Gents, not enough to make it cost effective, I'll post up what shop will have these after a few more talks.

Thanks anyway and good luck.

Thanks for getting this into a shop so we can buy them. I love the design and at this point I couldnt even fathom putting something else on my cruiser.

Are the sides of the bumper near the fender flares wide enough to stand on to access the roof?

Thanks for getting this into a shop so we can buy them. I love the design and at this point I couldnt even fathom putting something else on my cruiser.

Are the sides of the bumper near the fender flares wide enough to stand on to access the roof?
you could if you are careful, they are 2" side if i remember.

So for anyone interested in plans to do this DIY shoot me a PM Plans are for sale.

So i spend most of my time in the 45 section... but i have a 80 also that i work on a bit. i am just in the final stages of my rear bumper design/ build and thought i would share the first day of actual shop work..

Interested List:

1. Polar Bear, Bellevue WA
2. Burbuja , Huston TX
3. Newtomlex, South Huston
4. Newtrayback, New Braunfels Texas
5. TEXASYETI, FortWorth TX
6. Jtaylor, SW Utah up to SLC much?
7. OFFROADS4X4, SLC
8. Doug_W, Alberta
9. Insane1, NorWood NC
10. Jbsax, Little Rock, AR

11. Kailbigan, FairBanks, AK
12. Western Flyer, Sandiego
13. 0872, Ohio
14. RustyShackleFord
15. Cruser_89,FL
16. Mryanangel
17. AB1985
18. KevinJ
19. mzataray
20. Bamaheel

21. Djakite
22. fosters
23. 2kcruisers
24. 2minutesturkish
25. Texascharely
26. jeremymeehan, Bay area
27. ebbs15, Denver
28. idahotrooper, Loveland, co.
29. abecker01, Bosie
30. tominboise, Bosie

ARGH how do you PM now?

So I have been working on getting my shop space together at the house, wired up my 240 finally and put it to work right away welding revision 2, I like it a lot!
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420953930.553226.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420953946.036636.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420953967.619756.jpg

Very nice design. I just caught this thread and after building my own front bumper and sliders I think most venders are selling the armor common to the 80's, sell it at a pretty reasonable price, the profit is made up in volume. Your design is a nice balance between bolt-on protection that maintains an unobtrusive profile without having to cut the frame.

I don't see it in the notes... does this kit require rerouting the muffler / tailpipe from stock location?

Very nice design. I just caught this thread and after building my own front bumper and sliders I think most venders are selling the armor common to the 80's, sell it at a pretty reasonable price, the profit is made up in volume. Your design is a nice balance between bolt-on protection that maintains an unobtrusive profile without having to cut the frame.

I think the rear cross member has to be cut out

Looks really good! Any idea of how it will work with the flares? I have a Lexus for reference...

Also, any possibility of getting any more pictures of it?

Last edited:
I could make a few adjustments and make the wing wide enough to match up with the flare better, right now i think it would kind of "tuck in" if you had factory mudflapers..

I could make a few adjustments and make the wing wide enough to match up with the flare better, right now i think it would kind of "tuck in" if you had factory mudflapers..

Right on! I like the way it looks. I saw the pictures in the other thread as well and it has a very nice design. Any possibility for some more pictures from the rear and the other side?

Also, what is the thickness of steel you're using for the plate and brackets? I saw earlier in the thread that you may have made some adjustments...

Shell is 3/16" brackets are 1/4 and 3/8..

my passenger side had been crunched so it does give a great representation of the lines and what not. i will take a few and post them up..

Looks good. I like the fresh rust. Looks like the roll cage I put in our 45 eight years ago...and have yet to paint.

How do you plan on tying the reciever hitch in? I assume the spare need to be relocated first? Could you add holes for the frame cross member hole pattern? Then a bolt-on hitch or pintle would still work with longer hardware (assuming it is flush to the cross member). I have a pintle bolted on ours for my off-road trailer and the factory draw bar for towing bigger stuff. When I have four bikes on the Thule tray rack it would flex the frame cross member when I used that attachment point, too much torque with the unsupported weight of the bikes and rack.

Dan

Right dan, I am cutting out for a hitch..

I do have the bolt pattern in my model so that is a possibility as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom