80 Owners with Fridge Freezers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dan C

Bonafide Jolly Turkaconis Freak
Threads
So I'm having trouble deciding between the Engle MT45 and the ARB 50... Please post pics of your setup:beer:

If you own either of these models, what is your opinion/experience??

I can't add much regarding neat ways to mount an ARB. I am a new owner of an ARB 62. Just strap it down in the back. Decided to go that way because every time I have emailed ARB needing anything, their customer service has been outstanding.

Does everything it should!

Looking to make a roll out for it, as I can't fathom the $300 plus platforms that are available.

I own an Engel 45 which I bought on a great deal from Craigslist eons ago before the newer ARB 50 got released. Experience using both Engel and ARB.

Engel 45 - metal body, just a "0-5" dial for temperature control (the dial can get knocked to another setting if something bumps it), not as easy to clean, little more compact

ARB 50 - plastic body, nice temperature LED display, easy to clean with drain hole plug, little bulkier

I'll have to dig up photos. If I had to buy again, I'd probably get the ARB 50.

Found one photo
TpW405W.jpg

I have the engel 45 with the slider and the thermal case thing...its served me well since 2005 and hasn't missed a beat...
Freezes beer and water at my whim. Easy on battery consumption....relatively quiet....quiet enough for truck camping which i have done for several months at a time

I have the newer model ARB 50qt. Got it when the first came out, it's taken a beating and keeps going. No issues with anything, ARB customer service is great!

I have an electric "ice chest" that I've only used once. It drained my battery running overnight. It could have been a bad battery. Too late to check. I no longer own the truck in which I used the ice chest. I've read that compressor style refrigerators are much more efficient than the cheapest 12v fridges. My current plan is to run a low priced under-counter sized bar fridge, powered from a voltage inverter. I haven't researched if the loss of efficiency in the voltage inverter will more than offset the efficiency of a small home fridge.

Off topic, only that it's theoretical at this point. You were asking about what people already had....

I'm curious if others think my idea is foolish. It would certainly be low budget, for anyone who already had a big enough inverter to handle the compressor startup requirements.

I have a 40l engel in mine and all of our work cars have engels, they get bounced all around the country side and are still going strong, mine is about 2years old has been underwater and still work fine,all the work ones are about 15years old and still go hard. Unkillable i reckon.

Its just mounted on a fridge slide with some rope holding it down.

SNIP
I've read that compressor style refrigerators are much more efficient than the cheapest 12v fridges. My current plan is to run a low priced under-counter sized bar fridge, powered from a voltage inverter. I haven't researched if the loss of efficiency in the voltage inverter will more than offset the efficiency of a small home fridge.
SNIP

Not foolish, but you're right, the loss of efficiency through the inverter makes it a bad idea for one reason, while the fact that it requires enough amps to start a motor that wants to be on 110 via the powerlines makes it a bad idea for another. Takes a lot of amps to start and most inverters would puke if asked to do what they aren't rated to do, which is start those sort of motors.

I have a CPAP and plug it directly into 12 volts via a Anderson PowerPoles setup to avoid that very issue.

Way off topic, other than either of the fridges being discussed are a much better idea, as they are designed to operate full time on 12 volts.

My fridge is a mere EdgeStar, but my drawer solution is universal. I built it into my drawer/sleeper conversion. Tie downs haven't been crash-tested, so may not suit your risk aversion scale, especially if you have cheesy handles as the tie down points on your fridge like I do. I'm sure there are better provisions on the pricier fridges.

Drawers1.jpg

When in camp, it slides back, tailgate tent covers the whole rear of the truck, and the space it occupied makes a great overnight gear stash and inclement weather leg stretch bay. A panel drops in place to allow the entire back of the truck serve as space for two.
FridgeSlideOut5.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have one but want one so bad...Some day...

I own an Engel 45 which I bought on a great deal from Craigslist eons ago before the newer ARB 50 got released. Experience using both Engel and ARB.

Engel 45 - metal body, just a "0-5" dial for temperature control (the dial can get knocked to another setting if something bumps it), not as easy to clean, little more compact

ARB 50 - plastic body, nice temperature LED display, easy to clean with drain hole plug, little bulkier

I'll have to dig up photos. If I had to buy again, I'd probably get the ARB 50.

ARB Plastic body - eh??? It's a metal cabinet mate.

cheers,
george.

I just purchased the same one. At the risk of hijacking the thread, how is it on power consumption? I was also trying to decide between the Engel and the ARB, but decided to risk it and take the cheaper route. Right now I only have time to camp 4-5 times a year and only for 3-4 nights at a time. The Whynter seemed to fit the bill for that but I think it might draw down the battery a lot quicker than the other ones.

In Zimbabwe we use ARBs with great success. Even on nights when it's 100f is stays cool till morning when we fire up the Cruiser again. We made a cushioned seat top for it and even on bouncy roads, it doesn't deform....yet

I just purchased the same one. At the risk of hijacking the thread, how is it on power consumption? I was also trying to decide between the Engel and the ARB, but decided to risk it and take the cheaper route. Right now I only have time to camp 4-5 times a year and only for 3-4 nights at a time. The Whynter seemed to fit the bill for that but I think it might draw down the battery a lot quicker than the other ones.

This is my first experience using 12V freezer, from brochure comparison between the name brands, I found no unique technical advantage between the expensive ones vs. lower cost ones, I can only guess the name brands may have better vibration design on the compressor. As for amp draw, I tested at home that setting at 38 degree, my 75ah AGM battery last 4 days before shut down at low voltage threshold of 11V. 11V is actually only half capacity to the AGM battery, meaning the Freezer shuts down and still allow enough battery capacity to start the car, this is great feature. For safety measure I did put in a dual battery setup.
I also found that the fuller you pack the fridge, the less energy it needs to maintain the temperature.

Last edited:
This is my first experience using 12V freezer, from brochure comparison between the name brands, I found no unique technical advantage between the expensive ones vs. lower cost ones, I can only guess the name brands may have better vibration design on the compressor. As for amp draw, I tested at home that setting at 38 degree, my 75ah AGM battery last 4 days before shut down at low voltage threshold of 11V. 11V is actually only half capacity to the AGM battery, meaning the Freezer shuts down and still allow enough battery capacity to start the car, this is great feature. For safety measure I did put in a dual battery setup.
I also found that the fuller you pack the fridge, the less energy it needs to maintain the temperature.

I read a comparison review on some website (can't recall which one) and I believe the only difference between the Whynter and the others was the length of time it took to run down a battery. I haven't had the chance to do a real world test, but it sounds like your test makes this fridge a very capable alternative to the more expensive ones. It's definitely worth considering!

I have an Engel MT45. Got it used, and the few times I have used it on the road it hasn't let me down. I just strap in down in the back as I have no drawers yet. Not sure of the size difference between the two, but personally I wouldn't want something much bigger as it takes up a lot of room in the back and can get heavy/awkward to move about.

A note on the Edgestar/Whytner (same fridge) - It's very easy to accidentally plug the 120v cord into the 12v outlet and blow the transformer all to hell. Ask me how I know. Other than that, it's a great fridge.

EDIT: Looking at the Whytner, it seems that the new fridges have a three prong AC inley and a two prong DC inlet, so this shouldn't be a problem any more. Mine is a few years old and has two identical two prong inlets.

Yeah, our 2010ish EdgeStar has two entirely different plugs, so not chance for confusion there. I'll bet they got some complaints about the original set-up though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom