1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

78 windshield wipers.

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by 78 One owner, Sep 10, 2003.

1. 78 One owner

78 One owner

In S. Utah I only need to use my wipers once in a while, so I've lived with this problem for a while. The shafts are stuck in the sleeves that mount them. The whole assembly turns till the nuts loosen enough that there is too much slop to function. Tighten the nuts too much and they won't move either. I know the cure is taking them apart for starters. Any tips? Liquid wrench hasn't helped so for and I have been leary of getting more aggressive without some advice. Also, if any body knows of an upgrade? It isn't any secret that they suck at best. I used to plow snow so I know what I'm talking about, do you? Anybody?
    [move] ???[/move]

2. cdtb

cdtb

I have the same problem, I know if you tilt the windshield down you can gain access to the linkage. Of course that means if you have the hard top on like me it needs to come off. I will let you know if I find another fix. I also have a 78 FJ 40

3. pbgbottle

pbgbottle Forum Lifer

Media:
  4. shelfboy1

shelfboy1

its been a while but i think there is a small clip on the end of the rod that has to be removed so you can pull it out of the sleeve.ive also drilled a small hole in the brass sleeve and lubed them through the hole, that doesnt always work if there realy seized up .