78 FJ 40 brake upgrade HELP !! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pistonpete

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello guys , i need some help here with my Forty. I have rear TSM disc setup, 4runner front cali"s and a booster for 4 disc from cruiser solutions on her and very,very poor performance with the brakes.

She' has a lot of weight to her now and i suspect maybe my master setup is not up to par as i have kinda not been feeling it since i put it on, Thinking i would have better luck with a toyota setup??

What would be best replacement for it, any part no# information would be kool

If you have disks all the way around they should be working. You just need to get what you have tuned to work. You may need help from one or all of the venders your dealing with.

This is the booster setup, vacuum seems fine, balance seems ok and no proportioning valve .

IMG_6460.JPG

I've got a booster and master out of an 80 series landcruiser. I've got more power than needed. Mine tips the scales at 2200 kg, and at 50 km/h it'll lock all 4 discs with the pressure from 2 fingers on the brake pedal.

I've got 77 Fj40 calipers in front and F/S Chevy Blazer Calipers in the rear.

That GM cyl should run fine. Typically on 40's it will run 4, 1/2 ton gm calipers or 2 1/2 ton & 2 Monte Carlo(metric) calipers so I would think that M/C is pushing enough volume. On other GM M/C set ups I have seen installed on 40's I recall there was a need to lengthen the push rod between MC & booster. Meaning that the pushrod that was between the Toyota booster & Toyota MC is not long enough and the full stroke of the GM M/C does not get used if you maintain the original pushrod between the booster & M/C.

I've got a booster and master out of an 80 series landcruiser. I've got more power than needed. Mine tips the scales at 2200 kg, and at 50 km/h it'll lock all 4 discs with the pressure from 2 fingers on the brake pedal.

I've got 77 Fj40 calipers in front and F/S Chevy Blazer Calipers in the rear.

Wow, there is NO way i can lock mine up ! i wish i could….

Thanks

That GM cyl should run fine. Typically on 40's it will run 4, 1/2 ton gm calipers or 2 1/2 ton & 2 Monte Carlo(metric) calipers so I would think that M/C is pushing enough volume. On other GM M/C set ups I have seen installed on 40's I recall there was a need to lengthen the push rod between MC & booster. Meaning that the pushrod that was between the Toyota booster & Toyota MC is not long enough and the full stroke of the GM M/C does not get used if you maintain the original pushrod between the booster & M/C.

It did come with a new rod in there and if i remember it was adjustable ?? So, maybe there lies my problem??
What would be the proper way to adjust this rod ??

Thanks guys !! :cheers:

I think a good measurement for gap should be in 16th of an inch or less. The only thing you can't do is have the rod in contact with the MC at rest. So long as your not applying pressure all the time you should be fine. Make it as long as you can without pushing on the MC. Line locks are great for crawling you just can't trust them for much if your not their to push the pedal if the battery dies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom