73 FST Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bad ass..

Thanks Mace! Speaking of "Bad Ass", I just installed a Trail Tailor bumper up front. The thing fits like a glove and is VERY well constructed. I'll post some detailed pics once I get the sliders mounted up.

For all those looking for custom fab work, I could not be more pleased with the craftsmanship and customer service from the TRAIL TAILOR.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424732027.812207.jpg

Last edited:
As soon as I decide to give my brother this old Warn Bellevue winch I have sitting here I'll order up one of Jason's front winch bumpers (without the plate).
I agree, his stuff is very well made and great pricing!

Thanks Mace! Speaking of "Bad Ass", I just installed a Trail Tailor bumper up front. The thing fits like a glove and is VERY well constructed. I'll post some detailed pics once I get the sliders mounted up.

For all those looking for looking for custom fab work, I could not be more pleased with the craftsmanship and customer service from the TRAIL TAILOR. View attachment 1035972

As soon as I decide to give my brother this old Warn Bellevue winch I have sitting here I'll order up one of Jason's front winch bumpers (without the plate).
I agree, his stuff is very well made and great pricing!

Thanks guys.. I really appreciate it. It doesn't matter to me if its simple or complex. Custom is whatever you want.. I seriously need a therapist. Like I said.. the freakier the better. Here is my new 60 bumper creation.

Jason

DSCF2669.JPG

Pretty sure that is the same one that was in my Aisin clutch kit.

J
Yep- the Aisin CKT-032 Clutch Kit includes it. I had a good disc and pressure plate on the shelf, so I'm having to piecemeal it together.

Replacing the bearing was way easier. With the BH off.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1425774103.875373.jpg

Save that bellhousing for a SM420/465 swap on a future project. :wrench:

I believe Georg (orangFJ45) is possibly going to be making shortened FJ60 rear axles to make it easier to install split transfer cases. Currently leaning on doing split case in my 79 instead of my 73 FST. If I did you go with the 73 I thought about grafting the piece with the hand brake mount from a 79+ floor to a earlier transmission cover. Won't be that much extra work to remove the handle to take the cover off. 72 was mix of dash transfer case shifter or floor shifter. Believe it was because the dash shifter linkage that the clutch fork was on the left side. Believe it was a couple of years before it switched to right side. I remember the speedometer cable and hand brake cable has to be routed so it's didn't interfere with the clutch fork. I've never switched a early driver's clutch fork to the passenger's side so not sure if there is clearance issues but would think it would be a better option.

That would be way cool for my mythical H55F/split case install in my FJ-55. Is Georg doing these?

That would be way cool for my mythical H55F/split case install in my FJ-55. Is Georg doing these?

I would check with him but my understanding that it's in the works.

I'm thinking of the H55F/split case FF with E-locker in my 79 FJ40. But still chasing the unicorn 40 series H55F shifter. Until then I go with a H41 split case. Have everything needed for that. Over the last couple years I've found a few late model 40 series axles local, both semi and FF.

Although the 3 speed and transfer shift great, I am a little concerned about driving 800 miles, wheeling for a week and then turning around driving another 800. I've cracked an early case before and don't want to go through that again.

I have a later style 4 speed with a split case but that leaves me with no parking brake, which is a must when driving up a mountain.

Many years ago I had a 81 fj40 rear end with the parking brakes on the rear drums. At some point I remember selling it to a guy in Ga for $100. (Doh!). Had I kept it, it would allowed me to run the split case.

After a few searches the only 81-84 fj40 rear axle I could find was priced north of $1200. That's more than I can plunk down.

After a few more internet searches, I found a NHRA chassis shop that can narrow a 60 housing 2" + add 40 spring perches.

This will allow me to use a stronger transfer and retain the parking brake using all Toyota parts.View attachment 1021073View attachment 1021074View attachment 1021075

I am guess you got the 60 housing narrowed for less than the $1200, eh?
Are the 60 series parking brake better than the 40/55 series park brake at the t-case?

Thanks guys.. I really appreciate it. It doesn't matter to me if its simple or complex. Custom is whatever you want.. I seriously need a therapist. Like I said.. the freakier the better. Here is my new 60 bumper creation.

Jason

View attachment 1035986

Dude... That is crazy!

sorry for the sideways post:

meant for reevesci: have you ever made anything for an LX450 ?

A few comments, Pablo, I'd say the rear wheel E-brakes are far better. For one, if you loose a driveshaft or axle, they will still hold the vehicle, not the case with the transfer case brake. They also have more surface area, so better holding power. I find the e-brakes on my 60 and T-100 to hold very well, plus they are the adjusting mechanism for the rear brakes, so no more manual adjustments on the rear. My FZJ80 is another story, I have messed with it three times now, decided maybe the cables were stretched and got a new Toyota cable set for it and still no better.

I still wonder, looking at the pictures here and working on both, it seems the flange on the rear axle shaft is obviously different and located slightly more outboard on the late axles. I wonder if an adapter could be built that matches the 6 hole pattern on the early 40 axles on the back side, with the wide 4 hole pattern on the front, similar to the adapters used to put calibers on the rear. Seems that would be the easiest way to convert lots of early axles to the later brakes and allow split cases to be run.

As for using the hand brake. My T100 uses a hand brake under the dash, just like all the pickups of that time. The rear brakes are virtually identical to the 60 series. The 60 uses the mechanical advantage of the brake lever and large half round surface to pull the cable. On my pickup, the lever under the dash works just like a 40, with less mechanical advantage actually. But mid frame there is an arm that it pulls on. This arm is quite simple, but it gives an additional mechanical advantage to engage the rear brakes. It take far less effort to set the brake than my 40 or 60, and holds tighter. This same setup could easily be built on a 40, perhaps under the drivers seat, outboard of the frame, all it would take is a simple bracket. Perhaps the 60 cable could be run to the arm, and the 40 hand brake cable to the other part of the arm.

http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/images/parts/toyota/fullsize/460087A.jpg

Arm is 46301, front cable pulls outside, (left side) of arm. It pivots on the pin in the picture and rear cable to backing plates attaches at in the middle hollow spot with 46441 nuts for adjustment. The picture does not show it, but there is a long spring to help with return, nothing special. Although looking at it and thinking about it, the front cable has to have a great deal of linear movement to pull the arm, perhaps more than a 40 cable provides, it would be proportionate to the arm length.

A few comments, Pablo, I'd say the rear wheel E-brakes are far better. For one, if you loose a driveshaft or axle, they will still hold the vehicle, not the case with the transfer case brake. They also have more surface area, so better holding power. I find the e-brakes on my 60 and T-100 to hold very well, plus they are the adjusting mechanism for the rear brakes, so no more manual adjustments on the rear. My FZJ80 is another story, I have messed with it three times now, decided maybe the cables were stretched and got a new Toyota cable set for it and still no better.

I still wonder, looking at the pictures here and working on both, it seems the flange on the rear axle shaft is obviously different and located slightly more outboard on the late axles. I wonder if an adapter could be built that matches the 6 hole pattern on the early 40 axles on the back side, with the wide 4 hole pattern on the front, similar to the adapters used to put calibers on the rear. Seems that would be the easiest way to convert lots of early axles to the later brakes and allow split cases to be run.

As for using the hand brake. My T100 uses a hand brake under the dash, just like all the pickups of that time. The rear brakes are virtually identical to the 60 series. The 60 uses the mechanical advantage of the brake lever and large half round surface to pull the cable. On my pickup, the lever under the dash works just like a 40, with less mechanical advantage actually. But mid frame there is an arm that it pulls on. This arm is quite simple, but it gives an additional mechanical advantage to engage the rear brakes. It take far less effort to set the brake than my 40 or 60, and holds tighter. This same setup could easily be built on a 40, perhaps under the drivers seat, outboard of the frame, all it would take is a simple bracket. Perhaps the 60 cable could be run to the arm, and the 40 hand brake cable to the other part of the arm.

http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/images/parts/toyota/fullsize/460087A.jpg

Arm is 46301, front cable pulls outside, (left side) of arm. It pivots on the pin in the picture and rear cable to backing plates attaches at in the middle hollow spot with 46441 nuts for adjustment. The picture does not show it, but there is a long spring to help with return, nothing special. Although looking at it and thinking about it, the front cable has to have a great deal of linear movement to pull the arm, perhaps more than a 40 cable provides, it would be proportionate to the arm length.

Very cool ideas!
Thanks for the feedback on the 60 series park brake function.
I really like your idea about an adapter to go from the "earlier" 40/55 axle housing to mount the 60 series backing plates & drums. That would add a lot of opportunity for many folks! Do you have any fab capabilities?

Not that good of fab abilities. A real machinist would be able to make it, maybe Front Range Off Road, they already offer full float kits for the rear end of Toyotas, they would be able to turn an adaptor easily I would think. All I can do is hack it out with a plasma cutter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom