Ford 7.3 vs. 6.0 need 'mud opinion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pskhaat

Tourer
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
alamosa.mobi
Is this kind of like asking which is better the 2F or 3F? There are debates on either side of the PS 7.3 and 6.0. Considering an Excursion so want to get y'all's take on which engine you would consider and why.

Thx!

Dieselstop.com......with the correct fixes the 6.0 has been a good engine...I have a 97 7.3 and had some repair work but I did all the labor myself....

IMHO 99-02 7.3 is the best engine built. In 02-03 they went to stamped rods rather than forged and have had some issues with them holding up.

Thanks everyone. I have been edumicating myself on Ford lately looking at a SD purchase. Keep comments coming.

My fear is how much 6.0 $ is required to make 'em good...

I have an 07 6.0 and so far (knock on wood) it has been great. I was pretty gun shy about the platform but most of the problems are preventable with proper care. I only have about 41k on mine now but its been heads and tails more reliable at this point than my 99 Dodge was with the CTD (amazing I know).

I would go 05 6.0

I have a 04 6.0, and have just had to put a new block in it, cracked in two places, so I went ahead and did full egr delete, ARP head studs, heavy duty gaskets, and all that ... Runs beast, I can burn out my 47's

Reason these 6.0's go bad are BAD tuners like Banks. Use no tuner or a SCT tuner and you will more than likely be be fine.

-J

I have a 2001 excursion 7.3 and my friend has a 2005 EX 6.0. He has had problems with his quite a few times. Mine has 268,XXX on the clock and all I have had to do was have a new torque converter put in the tranny, which is the which is the weak spot in all fords. I like my 7.3 a whole lot better than his 6.0.

but his 6.0 has that sweet turbo whistle, but than can be solved by putting a better ball bearing trubo on the 7.3.

thats just my .02's

Coming from a mechanic background and having the priveledge of working on both platforms, i would choose the 7.3 hands down over the 6.0! the 6.0 is the weakest, over engineered pile of scrap metal ever produced...... nothing but problems with those things once they hit 100k. but alot of that is thanks to the epa and all the government bull crap.... stick with the 7.3 and you will be a happy camper.... i know many people with over 500k on theirs and havent had a single issue with it.

I would go 05 6.0
Use no tuner or a SCT tuner and you will more than likely be be fine.

-J

That's what I thought when our 04 King Ranch 6.0 kept blowing up. Bought an 06 KR 6.0 and 07 Lariat 6.0, both crew cabs, both used to pull doubles to cruiser events. (~15k lbs) Both bone stock, no tuner parts at all. Both have had head gaskets done (one of them at only 22k miles!), one has had an EGR cooler, both have had EGR Valves, both have had HPOP fittings, and between the two more injectors than one motor can hold! There is no solution to the problems of the 6.0 except a motor swap...

That said, my dad has actually had more problems with his 7.3 than I have with my 6.0 but I think they were all due to the same injector module failure. (very expensive, I think the dealer did not want to replace it under warranty but once they did he hasn't had any troubles) I would still take a 7.3 over a 6.0, though it would have to be chipped, etc. because after driving a 6.0 a stock 7.3 is a real dog.

6.0's are junk. The 06-07 Cummins CRD is the way to go. I would have bought a dodge a couple weeks ago (when my PSD ford left me stranded yet again) but I couldn't get over how crappy the rest of the truck was. I found myself thinking, "well, I can always call a tow truck... at least I'll be comfortable while I'm waiting..."

My 6.0 will come out in favor of a 5.9 CRD Cummins when it's out of warranty.

Coming from a mechanic background and having the priveledge of working on both platforms, i would choose the 7.3 hands down over the 6.0! the 6.0 is the weakest, over engineered pile of scrap metal ever produced...... nothing but problems with those things once they hit 100k. but alot of that is thanks to the epa and all the government bull ****.... stick with the 7.3 and you will be a happy camper.... i know many people with over 500k on theirs and havent had a single issue with it.
I own a 7.3, my mechanic owns a 7.3 and all of my friends that have the 6.0 have a ton of problems. I have driven quite a few of the 6.0's and will keep my 7.3 and would buy another one if something went awry with this one. The 6.0 has issues! Injectors have to be replaced every 100k, computer programming issues and is just not a good replacement for the 7.3

This truck will be the rebirth of Fords name in 3/4 and 1 tons.........

Amazing truck.
IMG_0923.jpg
IMG_0929.jpg

Amazing truck.

I got a chance to play with one of these beasts recently, and it's impressive.
Arguably the most comfortable full-size diesel on the market, and with power to spare.
Ford really did their homework on it.

Third day on the road and I ran it up Cajon Pass with 12K in trailer, 70mph, got slowed by a car on the grade to 60, passed and back up to 70 at the steepest portion, pulled like a dream, shifts smooth, very quiet and impressive.

Amazing truck.

I'm holding my judgement until after a few more miles and years on the road. Its a bit premature to make such a claim less than a year into production.

That being said, 2000 7.3 has 241,000 mile on it with zero issues other than regular maintenance.

I'm holding my judgement until after a few more miles and years on the road. Its a bit premature to make such a claim less than a year into production.

That being said, 2000 7.3 has 241,000 mile on it with zero issues other than regular maintenance.

Ford has had it on the road for a 1 1/2 already, I will standby it.

The other neat thing about these new Powersmokes is the fact that you can more or less pick and choose what you want on it, and they either leave the factory or stealership in the desired configuration. When I was researching tow rigs, it felt like Dodge and Chevy made it mandatory to buy three useless extras for a single feature that you may need, or be interested in.
Ford seems to grasp that there are some folks out there who want a pretty spartan rig, and not only make it possible, but make it worthwhile.

Ford has had it on the road for a 1 1/2 already, I will standby it.

My 7.3 been on the road for 11 and had been around since 1994 before that.

I'm a skeptic. I was in the industry and saw the 6.0 a full year before its release. Traditionally diesel guys got their diesels from diesel manufacturers. I'm not sold Ford can make a diesel engine to live up the reputation of the original Powerstroke or a Cummins for that matter. I want to be proven wrong. It would make my choice of future trucks a whole lot easier since I'm a Ford truck guy.

My 7.3 been on the road for 11 and had been around since 1994 before that.

I'm a skeptic. I was in the industry and saw the 6.0 a full year before its release. Traditionally diesel guys got their diesels from diesel manufacturers. I'm not sold Ford can make a diesel engine to live up the reputation of the original Powerstroke or a Cummins for that matter. I want to be proven wrong. It would make my choice of future trucks a whole lot easier since I'm a Ford truck guy.

I understand your reticence, especially since the 6.0 was such a dog.
These new Powesmokes have managed to get into the fleets of the local FDs, which indicates to me that they must've passed muster to some local government procurement divisions. That speaks volumes, especially since all the pickups that the fire departments here had were GMC's for as long as I can recall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom