69 fj40 Building on a buget "I wish" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thorton brought me some front wheel bearings yesterday thank you Tom and Josh. got my frond end together. was going to put the wheels and tires on in but did not. worked on the front bumper put the shackle hangers on and holes laid out. started my twin stick shifter but I need to get oxygen for my torches to bend the steel.

Chris

its been awhile got a lot done.
Got the rear axle done.
I picked up new calipers and rotors for the front. ordered a brake bleeder to make bleeding a little easier.
I've got my drive shafts at my shop to lengthen.
Changed to a 71 carb and modified a 2F air cleaner to fit the F with a power steering pump. bled the P/S pump.
Got the gas tank it and the seats in but need to take back out to put the trans hump in.

Need to order 4x4Labs high steer this week (if the :princess: lets me) and found a SM465 to put between a 2F and 3speed transfer case.
I'll post up some pics later.

Chris

here is some pics of what I've been working on.

DSCF2011.jpg

I have not had good luck on the front brakes one of the calipers had striped out threads then the rotor bolt holes were 14mm not 10mm. so the rotors are old waiting on the new ones.

DSCF2008.jpg

The back brakes are done out of 10 flares only had one bad one. Tube prep is everything.

DSCF2015.jpg

now that's cramped quarters!

DSCF2019.jpg

here's the wheel well with a 35 in it. a 37 should fit very good.
DSCF2031.jpg

DSCF2029.jpg

Here's the front bumper with the clevis hooks.

Hoping to pull in out tomorrow and install the cage.

Chris

Last edited:
got the wheels on and all the brakes bled. had to change the master cylinder it was leeching. the pedal is still very spongy?

Here is an articulation pic.
DSCF2035.jpg

this is as much articulation as I can get out of my floor jack under the diff.
the front wheel is about 9" off the ground.

chris

Gettin' close...you gonna run her at Big Dogs next month?

I was hoping to have done but I think I'm going to run out of time. There are a lot of little things and a couple of big thing I keep frogeting. One big one is taking it to my shop and do all the finish welding on it that 2 days at least.

Chris

40's Maiden Voyage

It was not that long of a ride or that pretty but here it is. The first time it has run under its own power in 18 years. I think its got a stuck ring and is in desperate need of a carb. rebuild for starters.

40's Maiden Voyage video
( skip to the middle that's when it starts moving)
PIC_0170.jpg

installed the cage when it was out.
PIC_0177.jpg

Chris

Its been a while sense I have posted up. The project has not stalled out yet!
had to do a lot of other work honey do's and other vehicle repair.
I have started tearing down my SM465. looking at rebuild kits. time to ramp up this thing and get it "Done" at least for now.

Chris

A for effort

Buddy I take my hat off to you if you can bring her back to life, good luck

started tearing down my sm465 pulled the shaft out of a broken case and am having it machined.
Picture012.jpg

Picture010.jpg

new arrival to the family!
2622a635.jpg

picked it up for free through a battery in it and it tries to start but bad fuel and a rusted up throttle linkage all she douse is spit and spud-er.
Chris

daughter playing
:whoops::bang::crybaby:

Last edited:
got the transfer case mounted to the SM465 with Shawn Russell's adapter.

e8ff6161.jpg
63f810db.jpg

now to get the rest of the puzzle pieces.

Chris

Working on the SM465 twin stick got the idea from orange45 he is selling them and it's a really good kit. I just can't afford it.
f661cca5.jpg

c714e138.jpg

That was the easy part. Now for the 2 wheel/ 4 wheel part.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Still chipping away. Hope to have it out this season.
Still thinking about that part. Probably use a Plate on the back of the transfer case out to the frame.

More pics of the twin sticks.

image-637707106.jpg
image-645622817.jpg

Got the twin sticks done except for bending the sticks. Started making the plate for the rear of the of the transfer case for a cross member mount. Still not sure if I'm going to us a rear mount or SM465 inspection cover mount.
Did get a table for my new to me port-a-band.

image-2296708822.jpg
image-192329628.jpg

I made a big hole today. Waiting on the pilot bearing and to machine the nose cone down and the SM465 is ready to go in.

image-110431799.jpg

Here is the twin stick on the SM465 done.

image-3115372002.jpg
image-3377416609.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom