69 fj40 Building on a buget "I wish" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

my pics never came though
DSCF6634.JPG
DSCF6637.JPG
DSCF6647.JPG

I don’t know I’m just wing’in it.

Well I went ahead and started tearing the rear axle out to flip the springs so I can get the measurements for the rear quarters to be moved back before I finish them. Took some picks of my passengers side lower sill cut it off totally but I think I need to cut it higher to meet the door opening. It will be easer to weld upand blend in that way I think.

I don’t know I’m just wing’in it.:grinpimp:
DSCF6898.JPG

Last edited:
impressive body work going on there. i'ld hate to see what you could do in a big fancy shop. not that yours isn't fancy.

Thanks Missipboy there ain't nothing fancy about a cheap carport at the end if a shed. But I guess the beauty is it the eye of the beholder.

Work on the cruiser is slowing down do to summers “honey do list” tried to open the pool today 1st the pump was seized up, got a new pump 2nd then the hose from the pump to the filter was wrong got a make shift one 3rd the hose from the pump keeps blowing off pumping out the water I just put in.

I hate pools all this work and I’ll only get in it 2 or3 times.

axle fliped

Got my springs flipped so I can now cut my rear fenders and move them back I measured from the axle to the front then tuck that measurement to the back and added 1 inch but I think I might need more for the axle to move back when stuffed. Any one out there have some suggestions.

Can you see a problem with these springs I might need a new pair.
DSCF7400.JPG
DSCF7408.JPG

Last edited:
here some pics of the rear fender moved back I should be able to fit 35s in the wheel well after a SOA now and I’m starting on the pass side decided to replace the hole bottom section I was just going to cut out the rust and replace the metal. But since I’m in there.
DSCF7443_320x240.JPG
DSCF7448_320x240.JPG

Last edited:
Chris, I thought I might as well post on your thread, I didn't get a chance to get those housings yet but I'll pick them up when I go out there next. :D

No problem Burl, I’ve got plenty more to do without the axles I got the drivers rear quarter all welded in need to grind the welds down and be done with that side. got the pass. rear welded in shape now to cut out the old and weld it the new. I’ll try to post up some pics tonight.

chris

Got a lot done this weekend. Finished burning in the pass. side rear wheel well burned in the rear sill. Burned in a patch panel on the pass side lower door well. Another couple of weeks and the body will be ready to take off and prep / fix the frame.
DSCF7467.JPG DSCF7476.JPG
DSCF7469.JPG
get ing some 55 springs if thay are in beter shap then my 40 springs hope my wels wil work with them to.

Tried to get it running but the starter will not roll the motor over I think the starter is jamming up in the flywheel. I need to tear it down and take a look.
DSCF7467.JPG
DSCF7476.JPG
DSCF7469.JPG

HA dude looks like you took pages from your UNCLE'S book. He must be a smart guy to show you how dto do that kind of work.

Ya I picked up a few things.

Its been a wile but its time to start the SOA here are a couple of pics for ya’ll. fabed up some axle trusses/shock mounts and some shacles too need to order some bushings after christmas
DSCF7621.jpg

DSCF7619.jpg

DSCF7617.jpg

Last edited:
Chris,

Glad to see you finally got started on your 40. Burl's going to miss you in the passenger's seat.

its not done yet I might still be riding with him a little longer. every time I turn around I find something else to do to it and hve to talk my self out of it for the lack of time and money.

Last edited:
here is what I've been up to tore the front springs apart cleaned,painted ,and loooobed them up.
Got the front mocked up.
DSCF7712.jpg

I've got 14deg angle on the diff pointing up toward the transfer case searched FAQ but could not find angles I'm not flipping my springs "do not like the flip look I now all the cool kids are doing it" maybe later but I've got to get this done!
DSCF7721.jpg

Last edited:
Burned in my perches. Cut and turned my knuckles 4deg. I'll post up some pic's tomorrow. My jack took a bump on me yesterday will not stay up tried to tear it down to replace the seals and can’t get it apart.
My old man was right ya get what you pay for.

You continue to inspire me. I love your work and the photos. Maybe I'll bust out the wire feed and go to work on my fenders instead of just ordering new ones. Worst case, I'll wreck them practicing my welding skills and just have to get new anyways. Thanks.

Thanks for the positive comments that’s what keeps me moving forward.

Here’s some pics of my cut and tern I used a pipe cuter it turned out really good it cut slow enough that there was less of a chance to go to far. And I found a use for my coarse spline axles I used them as kind of a slide hammer in the knuckle holes to turn them.

The knuckles were at 5deg. But after fixing the shackle angle they are at 3deg I need to turn them more.
DSCF7730.jpg

DSCF7738.jpg

just noticed theres alot of waight on that grade 2 bolt

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom