'62 FJ40 in the Netherlands (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

treeroot found a sticker on on his 64 fan View attachment 1091562
The Partnr 16361-60010 is unavailable. What is the typed number below? 16581? What do you make of that?

Btw I'm sure 1962 was black, but when did the color of the fan change to red? And when from steel to plastic?

I think I have to update the need list, but I'll try to find a steel fan locally first. No rush yet.

my ignition switch had terminals. can get pics over the weekend

forgot to add that this was a donor 1964 switch. original was missing but the wires look very oem round terminals. can check my 1960fj25 if needed; have never looked. away for few days but back late week.

this is the ignition we are talking about not the lights or wipers (both those are bare wire into the switch).

So this is my waterpump:
image.jpg
Is this correct for 1962?

Our four blade steel radiator fan show some cracks. Is this still available? In our 65 parts book we found part number 16361-60010 is this right?

Looked at the black fans vs. the orange fans and I believe the black ones have sharper corners. We may be able to use this to determine what color the fan should be painted.

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0428.JPG

Our four blade steel radiator fan show some cracks. Is this still available? In our 65 parts book we found part number 16361-60010 is this right?

will have a look at a few fans tomorrow. believe there were a few early differences in the rib shape and way the two halves were riveted together but havnt made a study of this yet. is hard here because so much of y junk has had engine swaps over the years.

How did your ignition switch wires attach to the ignition switch? Were they attached with ring terminals? Or did the (bare) wire ends simply attach through holes in the sides of the switch terminal posts just as they would on a light switch and wiper switch? Any photos?

here a pic of my 64 ignition. my 60 fj25 one the same; ie terminals.

023.JPG

Looked at the black fans vs. the orange fans and I believe the black ones have sharper corners. We may be able to use this to determine what color the fan should be painted.

hmmm, I think not. Im quite sure mine was never painted and that it is the original one. I do not have the sharper corners and the center is like your orange one is. Like West Aussie said it looks like the rivets are different. Mine is connected with 2 rivets and 2 spot welds. Your orange one and the yellow one from platebasher look spot welded. But I see none of you have cracks (yet).
IMG_4308.JPG
IMG_4309.JPG

Some non scientific research (because I like corny stuff like this) :)

All are squared on the early but came in both orange and black so there goes that theory. My 1969 FJ40 has the rounded orange fan. Probably changed when they went from black to grey rims in '67. Earliest rim I have found with grey is 10/67.

1964 FJ40 with a new fan (still has the sticker on it)
DSC_9889.jpg

1966 FJ45LV
DSC_9884.jpg

1965 FJ45LPB
DSC_9888.jpg

Last edited:
We are working on the body right now. It is mediablasted and were repairing the (not too many:)) rust spots. Also need to fill some holes.

We're pondering what to do with (the holes for) the heater. We want to make the 40 original. And originally there was no heater. We bought it with a working (period correct?) Arvin heater. Now we have to decide if we keep it or let it go. We won't drive it in the winter days but a heater might be nice on colder spring or autumn days.

What would you do?

I found an old pic of the heater:

image.jpg

I am torn between OEM and dealer/port add on equipment. If it is period correct, and added on early enough, I don't think it detracts from the restoration. I looked at a 1983 FJ40 with "factory" AC and the holes in the firewall looked like they were cut by a pair of tin snips. These trucks were more desirable with AC but the install would have to be cleaned up if it were to be restored.

I personally don't see anything wrong with a "period correct" heater. I think you'd enjoy it when needed. Look for a clamshell or Arvin.

Allright the heater will stay. Thanks for the input. We ordered a NOS aftermarket period correct heater switch.

Time for an update with pictures.
We completely stripped the frame. One of the front shock mounts and one of the body mounts were a little bit off. Probably by the tree that has once fallen on the front edge of the roof once (as Gary, the PO, told me). And the rear crossmember was a bit bent caused by a PO towbar. After fixing we took it to the local blast and coating service (Paul Warmerdam straal en coating service) who did a really nice job. Just a little rustpitting, nothing serious. They extra treated all the edges and corners, and did a nice paint job.

FullSizeRender2.jpg IMG_2465.JPG IMG_4894.JPG IMG_4896.JPG

Meanwhile we have been working on the tub. Allthough there were no rust holes, on some places where the steel was double it was thicker caused by the rust in between. Fixed all those spots. Also filled the extra holes in the dashboard. And placed the brackets in the rear crossmember we forgot when we replaced that.
IMG_4510.JPG

The body is repaired and primered. Doing a test mount of the body panels. The PO replaced the windshield frame with one that came of a FST (we think). We removed the hold down brackets on top. We now miss a hole where the roof/rain gutter attaches. See the picture.

Does anybody have a detailed picture how this should attach?

Are there other differences in the windshield frames hardtop vs. FST?

IMG_5424.JPG

IMG_5422.JPG

allright, and a picture of where we are right now.
IMG_5425.JPG

an corner is shaped different. the little gutter that goes down the side of the windshield frame flares out for a bolt to go through from your bracket
s-l1600.jpg

Thanks Dan, We have the L shaped brackets.
And thanks nuclear. It looks like the main difference is the flaring out of the gutter. We will modify that.

IMG_4666.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom