60 Series Steering Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I have an 89 hj61 and have some unusual steering problems.

About a month or so ago I installed some 255/85 bfg km2 and got a wheel alignment.

The steering wheel was almost perfect straight and the car didnt wander/ it went fairly straight forward.

Since then though the car has got progressively worst.

The car wanders left very badly

The steering wheel is now about an entire 90 degrees clockwise when travelling forward.

The new tyres / rims are not balanced as they wouldnt fit on the mechanics machine, can they cause this problem to happen?

There is a 2" OME lift in to my knowledge and no caster wedges. I know the lack of wedges can cause it to wander but whats really puzzled me is how badly off centre the steering wheel has become as well.

Any ideas guys??

Cheers,

Ben

I've had and seen 33" tires balanced dozens of times, and thousands of people run balanced 33" tires across the world. Time to find a new tire place.

Also check your TREs and drag link while you're at it. The bigger tires may have accelerated the wear?

If your steering wheel position is changing that would indicate something in rod geometry is as well. My suspicion is an adjuster sleeve left loose. Have seen this a time or 2. in addition to destroying tires in nothing flat it will create some spooky driving characteristics so get the guys that did the work give it a once over. Any shop worth it's salt will stand behind their work and make it right without a hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom