60 ser 2h alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi all
i recently replaced my external regulated alternator in my 83 hj60 with a brand new internally regulated unit anyhow i removed the old regulator and wired the new alt in to the correct wires and it works great however my charge light doesnt operate now nor do my glow plugs on the initial preheat, although i can get it to work if i ground the charge light wire . do i need to install a charge light relay ? im pretty sure i dont have one i cant seem to find one any way. how would i go about putting a relay on the charge light?
:cheers:

Hi Mick,

This what you had. The charge light was hooked up between the "engine" fuse and the "L" terminal of the external VR.
charge light ext VR.JPG

And this is what you have now.
You have to change it to this diagram. See the charge relay lay out in the bottom pic.
The relay is activated via the 5 Amp "charge" fuse from the "L" terminal on the alternator.
charge light int VR.JPG
Pay attention to the charge relay (the one on the left for 12V systems) with the build in diode. This is a must.
If you use an other relay (Bosch, Hella, or so) you have to add the diode in series with the relay coil.

Good luck,

Rudi
charge light ext VR.JPG
charge light int VR.JPG

Last edited:
thanks for your help and for the wiring diagrams they are much better than the ones i have i am going to try sort this out on the weekend lucky its not cold here
thanks again

Hey Mick!
I'd love to know if you fixed your problem.
I have a 1985 HJ60 with the 2h and recently swapped the externally regulated alternator for a new internally regulated alt. Charge light doesn't work, nor do the glow plugs.
The mechanic who sourced and fitted the alternator is now trying to tell me the glow plug relay is at fault. I should have done it myself.

If you have any light to shed on the situation I'd be much obliged. Is it as simple as installing a charge light relay?? This fixes the glow plug issue?
Thanks

Thanks for your response Fitz. But could you please elaborate a little? I see that I need a diode in SERIES with the coil. There is no such relay available. Would I be better off trying to source a 2nd hand, TOYOTA "charge lamp relay" off ebay?

Any info on how to install the relay would be appreciated.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom