60 mph wobble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed a little wobble in the cruiser at 60 mph. It had been a while so I had a front end alignment. Also rotated and balanced the tires.

Still have the wobble.

I've heard of "4 wheel alignments" with other vehicles and am wondering if that's something I might consider?

Any other thoughts as to what may be causing this?

Many thanks!

Unfortunately, could be a lot of things. My issue was u-joints and needing new tires.

Describe what you mean when you say "wobble".

do you mean it fells top heavy when you turn? or are you saying while going strait it rocks from side to side? what mods have you done to it that may have caused it started doing this if any?

lots of potential issues:

-ujoints (this would feel more like vibration than wobble)
-crapy tires
-worn suspension bushings

Don't pay for alignment. All that can be "aligned" without aftermarket assistance in a cruiser is the front toe in, which is probably not your problem.

Steering wheel or seat of the pants wobble?

Ok, so tires are good, I really think they just did a poor job balancing them.

Wobble feels like it's coming from there as the steering wheel is solid when I feel it.

I haven't changed the bushing but did replace the ujoints on both drive shafts about 6 months ago.

I'm taking it back to the shop to have them rebalance.

lots of potential issues:

-ujoints (this would feel more like vibration than wobble)
-crapy tires
-worn suspension bushings

Don't pay for alignment. All that can be "aligned" without aftermarket assistance in a cruiser is the front toe in, which is probably not your problem.

Came here to say this. If anything but front toe is off on your alignment, you bent something.

Also to add: Tire balancing.

I'm not gonna say i drive fast but there are stretches of I15 with a 75mph limit and the only time I've bought tires in the last 15 or so years and didn't have to go back for re-balance was, curiously, when i bought them from a shop owned by people i know real well, and i stood there and watched them do the work.

So i can say from personal experience - I've had wheel balance issues on my land cruiser that were only apparent at 70+mph.

A "four wheel alignment" is typically referred to those newer vehicles with independent front and rear suspensions or Macpherson struts on the front and independent on the rear.

If you have an 80, you have a solid axle front and rear. You can DO a 4 wheel alignment, but you will be checking to see if the truck tracks straight down the road and that is not adjustable if the rear axle is off.

The only really "adjustable" thing is the toe-in on the front axle. The camber/caster can be CHECKED, but will typically not be part of an "alignment." That is a "take apart and rebuild stuff" kind of thing.

Wobble or death wobble can be:
wheel bearings
tie rod ends
loose trunnion bearings
loose steering arm
warped/worn-out brake rotors
improper caster after a suspension lift or worn-out suspension
loose wheels (lug nuts)
out-of-balance tires
out-of-round tires
improper tires pressures

Users who are viewing this thread