Builds 60 Frankenstein Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

J, thanks for the tips. I've thought about the install and figured it would not be as easy as they were to take out. Got the fender tacked on today. Some grinding and auto caulk and it will be good to go.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414976054.217276.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414976103.640523.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

Not sure of the weight. I'm guessing 125-150lbs. I have a detecto manual scale (dr. Office type) in my barn. I'm curious now and will give it a weight check.

...via IH8MUD app

Stay away from the flat style sliding cargo windows, IMO.. especially USED ones ( SOR, Perfomance Sliders..) had a set.. leaked between glass and the one that didn't leak squeeked all the damn time. To properly install the flat style sliders you have to flatten your pinch weld on the sides to get a decent fit. I researched best install practices for quite some time and finally Gary at MUDRAK explained how they do it for me... basically a 2 x 4 and a hammer.. Seems that a large % that are previously installed are installed wrong and manipulated in some way that make them a problem second install around.

If you can find the OEM curved style... ABSOLUTELY go for it, but $$$$ they will be.

J
I can attest to this one. It normally takes about 3 guys at the shop to install the flat style sliders. Its a SERIOUS PITA. I wish the 80 series sliders were universal (in a perfect world).

J, I was way off on the weight of my roof rack. It came in at 62lbs. I still need add the mounts and a bottom to the rack. Plan on going with the basket weave type metal on the floor.

...via IH8MUD app

Subscribed........Lookin Good!!

J, I was way off on the weight of my roof rack. It came in at 62lbs. I still need add the mounts and a bottom to the rack. Plan on going with the basket weave type metal on the floor.

...via IH8MUD app

Ok, very similar in weight to my old one, maybe more with an expanded metal floor, etc...

J

That's correct. I could not remember the correct term for the bottom metal.

...via IH8MUD app

Check with your local metal supply company, for a little extra, they might be able to get you a more decorative material for not much more cost.. Maybe even a bit lighter to boot...

J

Oaks, it was not as tough of a job as I thought it would be. Fortunately I had a donor that I practice on removing panels from. This was a rollover that I was taking to the scrapyard, so once I a stripped all the good stuff, I studied and figured out how everything went together. A spot weld remover does wonders as well.

...via IH8MUD app

I've not had much to update over the last several months. Unfortunately my mother fell ill and she's been in the hospital since the second week of November. My siblings and I have been spending most of our free time with her. Bottom line is cancer sucks! I'm finalizing the body work on my 60 and getting closer to painting it. In the meantime, I did pick up a 97 locked (Toyota lockers) 80. I've been passively looking for this exact setup but did not want to pay for a pristine one. I prefer projects or rides that need some TLC. Thanks to a Freind and fellow mudder (who saw the add when it hit Craig's list) here in Canyon Lake, I was the first to contact the seller. The 80 was in West TX (6 hours away) so I changed my work schedule and drove out to get it the next day. The seller called while I was driving out and said the list of potential buyers was building fast. Anyhow, it was exactly what I was looking for. As slow as I am building these rides, it will most likely be next fall before I get around to starting a build on this one.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422793925.120861.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422793947.575370.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422793964.050840.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422793980.442277.jpg

Sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she is doing well and kicks cancer's butt.

Nice score on the FZJ80. I look forward to seeing your work progress on both rigs when you have more free time :)

Looking good dad. I'm exited about the 80 joining the fleet.

Possibility we will see an FZJ60?

Thanks for the comments guys. The plan is to build a stock 60 with mild exterior mods and make the 80 an expedition rig. I've never worked with an 80, but know it retains a good ride when lifted etc...I am completely stoked with the locked axels which engaged perfectly when tested. It has 245K on the odometer, so I will most likely go through the engine & drive train when I do the build.

Well, it's been a long time since I've updated this thread. Have done more work and the Need to move to the paint stage. Don't usually work much in the summer months (TX heat and jet skiing), and my shops been taken over by my son (Mcguirejohnson) as he's doing a 12H-T conversion. You can check out his build thread which is coming along well. This created an interest on my part to do the same some day down the road. Long story short is I met (last week) a really good guy through craigslist that was parting out an 84 in Amarillo. Ended up he had a 12H-T with 0 (ZERO) miles. I believe his mud name is "Weggman". Anyhow, he's a really good guy and I ended up buying his motor, his dad's 82 FJ60 (less than 100k miles) without a motor that has a 5-speed along with the parts rig (package deal). My original plan was to put my spare 2-F (complete out of McGuires rig) in it and sell it as is. Once I picked it up I realized it's too clean to not use for the diesel conversion. I plan to paint it Tan and make an expedition rig out of it. The only major body work will be a roof skin. A repair was done prior to Dan's father buying it in 1985. You could see the bondo splitting so I chipped away and you can see the damage. Regardless, the parts rig has a clean straight roof. So the first step will be to change the color in the engine bay, set up the motor and get it to run. Will need my sons help since he's doing one and has the experience. Need to complete this before he heads off to Colorado State for the spring semester. Once the motor is in, I plan to finish the blue 60 which is for my younger son. Here are some pics of the recent purchase. I'll start another thread in the diesel section once McGuire and I start working on it.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441908348.547024.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441908374.773371.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441908403.787642.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441908447.476542.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441908478.260211.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom