5th Annual 100's in the Hills - Ouray, CO 7/31-8/02 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

paflytyer

100s in the Hills
Media Partner
Threads
Old and New Friends,

Finally, it's here!

The 5th Annual 100's in the Hills Gathering will be held in beautiful Ouray, Colorado from July 31st - August 2nd. As always, this event is reserved exclusively for the 100 Series platform. Every year we take calls and emails about why we don't allow others to register for this great event. It's a valid question with a simple answer. This event was created to cherish the 100 Series platform and its owners. For reasons unknown, the 100 doesn't get the respect it deserves from the Land Cruiser community. 100's in the Hills is happy to cherish the underdog of the Land Cruiser world...... IFS and all. We get together to celebrate that and we want it to be a no ego, laid back and easy going event.

We get together to put faces with forum names, learn proper wheeling techniques, meet some of the vendors and generally hang out in one of the most beautiful places on earth. We usually drive around a little bit in our 100's as well.

Last year's event can be seen here ~~> 4th Annual Trip Report

Everything in this area is scenic and if you've never been here before, prepare to be amazed by the views. We will have trail options that are completely stock-friendly, all the way to challenging trails that will test your sliders and armor. We strongly suggest every vehicle have an AT type tire or better, and a matching spare. Stock road tires are easily punctured from the sharp rocks found in the San Juan Mountains. If you plan on joining the Poughkeepsie Gulch run, we recommend at least sliders and 33's. Multiple trails will be run from Friday through Sunday so it's best to plan on arriving early and staying late to make the most of it.
Black Bear Pass is one of the highlights of the weekend and you (and your passengers) should be mentally prepared for that trail. Every year there are tears shed from either drivers or passengers. Being nervous is very normal and I still get a little amped each time I start down The Steps. Our 100's are large vehicles and you will be very close to the edge, but there is plenty of room and we will be there spotting the tightest and sketchiest sections.

DSC_0693 (1280x853).jpg

Camp: We will once again be camping at Ironton Park, just outside of Ouray, CO. We are planning to have port-a-potties on site again this year, but this is still primitive camping so you should be prepared to be self sufficient. If you or your family are not into that type of setting, there are ample places to stay in Ouray, only 15 minutes away.

Trails: As mentioned above, we will be doing the standard trails for the area. Black Bear, Clear Lake, Imogene, Ophir, Poughkeepsie, California Gulch and a few others. We may have something new this year, but with only 3 days, we want everyone to have the opportunity to enjoy the "must-see" trails.

Kids: Kids (but not infants on the trail for obvious reasons) are encouraged! Get them out to experience the great outdoors. We will once again have kids shirts available to purchase.

Pets: Good dogs are welcome. Bad dogs are not. Please bring the necessary tools to clean up after them and remember USFS guidelines require them to be on a leash. It is a little more laid back around camp but we still need to keep them under control. Last year we did have a stray dog roll into camp that was very hungry and nervous, so please keep an eye on your pets. This is also a primitive mountainous area, there is wildlife around that your dog could tangle with. It's best to keep them close. With that being said, let's talk about bears. We have seen a bear every year for the last 3, but not in camp. We do not have grizzly bears in Colorado, only black bears. While any bear can be dangerous under the right conditions, the chances of a bear wandering into our camp are still pretty slim. It's still important to be Bear Aware. Do not leave food out overnight (this includes pet food) and do not bring snacks and food into your tent. Again, the chances of a bear in camp are slim, but seeing one on the trail is a real possibility.

Weather and Altitude: Even though this will be mid-summer, it can get cold. You should be prepared for the nights to dip into the 40s and even 30s. Rain..... Colorado is one of the sunniest states in the country. However, the last two years have proven that HIH is scheduled during the rainy season in the San Juan's. Please bring rain gear and be prepared to use it. We will be camping at 8,000+ feet and driving above 13,000 feet on at least 2 trails. Almost everything that we do will occur above 9,000 feet. Acute altitude sickness is a very real possibility while you are here. It's important to know the symptoms and understand the only cure is to descend to a lower altitude immediately. Even going from 9,000 feet down to 7,000 feet will help. (6,000 and below is best) There is some good information about it here. Altitude Sickness
We have had folks pack up and leave every year because they were not getting better. It's important to know the signs. Please let us know if you're feeling any of the symptoms of altitude sickness, especially if we're on a trail. Hydration is vitally important. Start upping your water intake a few days prior to arriving.

Campfires: As long as there are no fire restrictions in place, we will have a campfire each night. This will be the central gathering place after the sun sets. Please bring at least 1 bundle of firewood with you. It's best to buy your firewood as close to camp as possible. This prevents accidentally bringing harmful invasive species into the area. There are plenty of places to buy wood in Ouray, Ridgway and Silverton.

Pot Luck and Raffle: Possibly the most anticipated part of this event is the Friday Night Pot Luck and Free Raffle. Please bring a dish to share that represents where you're from or a favorite family recipe. This is truly a highlight of this event. We also have a Beer's Around the World table. You should bring at least one six pack from your local area to share.
Once our bellies are full and the sun is setting, we will prepare for a fantastic (and totally free) raffle courtesy of some of the best vendors in the 100 Series community. Generally, this happens at about 6pm on Friday, so you don't want to miss that!

Registration will open at 5pm COLORADO time (MDT) on Sunday May 31st.

That will be 7pm EDT, 6pm CDT and 4pm PDT.

This year's registration fee will only be $75. This includes 1 event T-Shirt and covers camp supplies, port-a-potty rentals, and event costs. Registration will be done through our website
100s in the Hills Registration

Be sure to subscribe to this thread for updates on registration and further details.

See you in Ouray!

D7K_2539.JPG

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wow! HIH is back for the 5th year. As a "founder" this is a pretty cool accomplishment. I have made a bunch of long term friends due to this event and I can't wait to see everyone again this year. I can't wait to meet some new folks, as well. I'd love for past attendees to chime in on this thread and offer up some of their favorite memories. I know that my kids and I have many great memories of past HIHs. Tops on the list has to be the late night camp fires. Everyone involved with those knows who they are. What an awesome time. Always memorable is the look on some of newer 100 Series owners faces as they tackle obstacles that they have only dreamt of while web wheeling. No matter the weather, HIH 5 is poised to offer everyone a memorable experience. Last but not least, keep an eye out as we communicate our sponsors for this years event. Supporting them is what keeps this thing going. Raffle night should be another outstanding night. Well, I can write for hours about what a good time we will have, but it's up to you to come out and see for yourself. Can't wait to see everyone in Ouray!! ~chris

Would love to be back there but we have a big 2 week overland trip set up into Maine's backcountry and Canada that weekend. We are already looking towards the 6th HIH to mark our return! (Yes it is scary we actually gameplan that far out LOL.)

Keep up the good work guys and if anyone is reading this and on the fence? DO IT. Doesn't matter if you are stock or loaded out you will have a blast.

Truth to be told, we are also planning a big tour through national parks next year with HIH6 smacked into it! So, planning that far ahead is not so bad!
My birthday is July 27th and 2016 will be my 40th, it's gonna be awesome!

I am planning on it for year 3 for me! This is such a great, well organized event and I am Looking forward to seeing both old and new friends!

Just bought the wife an 02 lx with 81k. So now it's time to take her old one off road for the first time. Planning to register. Buying some all terrain tires for this trip this weekend. Anyone have a good recommendation? Bfg, Yokohama, nitto, toyo, Goodyear. Now have to do some research. Thanks.

Just bought the wife an 02 lx with 81k. So now it's time to take her old one off road for the first time. Planning to register. Buying some all terrain tires for this trip this weekend. Anyone have a good recommendation? Bfg, Yokohama, nitto, toyo, Goodyear. Now have to do some research. Thanks.
You will find for that every brand you mentioned you will find people that will endorse them. I would say you can't go wrong with any of them. Pick a price point and just go for it. (I am also trying to avoid turning this thread into the 1,000,000,000 tire thread debate on MUD).;)

We are 90% in.

You will find for that every brand you mentioned you will find people that will endorse them. I would say you can't go wrong with any of them. Pick a price point and just go for it. (I am also trying to avoid turning this thread into the 1,000,000,000 tire thread debate on MUD).;)
Thanks and agreed. Just thought I would ask people who have been on the runs as it's suggested to have an AT tire. Any further suggestions please PM. I have been searching and found plenty of info. like you said so narrowed down to BFG KO2 or GY Duratrac. Already looking forward to the vacation.

for what its worth @Bryanl i have been running 33" BFG KOs for 3+ years and 40k miles. We do long distance overland trip every year and I love the KOs because they are quiet, take a beating and are good off road. I can usually keep up with the guys running the bigger more aggressive tire.

Correction: Sam (@ENGINE er) ALWAYS keeps up with the guys running bigger tires. You make us look bad sometimes.

What to pack you ask? Everything...
IMG_0772.JPG

That's a full cargo area Dan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom