54mm Hub socket anyone?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gregnash

Anal Retentive Analyst
Threads
So picking up all the parts to rebuild my front axle... Got knuckle rebuild kit with Marlin Seals coming from Georg (couldnt find him at the swap this weekend to grab while I was there but family will be going down I I get to avoid shipping) with some new 555 TREs and got new OEM rotors and wheel studs coming from Onur as well. Georg is also getting me a new seal installer tool that apparently was made by Marlin for a while but then discontinued and now they are making again. Can be used as a seal press and race press specifically for our vehicles and since I was planning on spending $50 at HF to get their higher end seal/bearing press kit I figured I would just give Georg a bit more of my money.

So the question is, does anyone have a 54mm hub socket I can borrow once I get around to doing this (other than @KWalkerM)?

Was kinda funny, got home yesterday and the first thing the wife says is ... OK what did you buy?! I then explained to her that I didnt take cash specifically because I knew I would buy something I didnt need or what not. Her response "You went all the way down there for what? To wonder around and look at cars without buying something?"
Me: You drive all the way to the bay to "Look" at clothes.
Her: But that is for my work and I normally come back with something...at least something.
Me: So wait, you said not to spend any money while I was down there. Damn me for listening!!!

I have one Greg. If I can find it I will bring to the office and you can pick it up there. I will PM tonight if I can find it. It works but is in ruff shape. I think it is 54mm and will work on the large knuckle bolt for a 60 and a 40(guys correct me if I am wrong). I know I shouldn't do this but I just use a chisel to get the thing started then it comes off fairly easy.

Oh yeah about the wife thing. You'll get her figured out. You haven't been married long enough. I have devised ways and means to get what I need. You'll need to start a "secret fund". Some guys call it rat holing.

LOL.. oh yeah I keep throwing extra money on the CC when I get the chance so that way I can just purchase the things (like the above). And really I didnt see anything there that I couldnt live without. There was a guy that was selling a DAKAR spring set and I was gonna look however it was for a 40 so wouldnt have done me any good. Other than that I really didnt come across anything that I was in dire need of so it was all good.

Oh the other thing.... what greases/lube should I end up getting. Something local hopefully, would love to get the RED CV2 but at $70 a tube I am not that into spending that much money on grease for the knuckles when I would need probably 2 tubes. Recommendations?

Couldn't figure out the new PM system. So you can PU the tool at my office. 408 N ROOP STREET CC Look for the blue metal roof. 1 block south of Robinson.
As far as grease I usually just ask the Napa guys or O rielly guys what is their best stuff for my application. I tried marine grease once but it got dirty way to fast and didn't seem to lube as well(it was more like paste). I think royal purple is good from what I have heard. Napa has that. Haven't tried it myself.

No worries Dan.... Instead of a "private message" you now start "conversations" with someone. Same basic premise. I will try and drop by on my lunch either today or tomorrow to grab.

I heard you come in and was gonna say hi but you were in and out pretty fast. Feel free to pound that back into shape or do whatever you need to do to make it work. Like I said it is in pretty ruff shape. I think the craftsman option sounds good 2 1/8. And the chisel method is always there also.
Mark

Thanks Mark, yeah I was on lunch break and was doing normal banking run for wife and had to get back for the rest of my interviews. So didnt know if you would be front desk or not so ran in and the woman at the front just smiled and handed to me.

Will see what I can do. Oh and for those that are wondering... new toy is a seal installer, apparently were previously made by Marlin and stopped for one reason or another. He is selling them again, figured for $29 it was worth it to give Georg some extra business. Stuff is coming via family wagon truckster so will see it monday/tuesday next week.

Well all the parts are here, just picked up my box from Georg from my brother (he was down there this weekend so saved myself shipping). Wife is headed out of town on Thursday so I am going to start this thursday night and hope to have it done by Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom