529 gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was out playing in the snow last weekend with the cruiser. It wasnt the first time this year either. I had gone out a couple of times prior and realy rodded the cruiser. Anyway last weekend while breaking trail I was digging pretty hard when it sounded like a shotgun went off. One of the guys I was with said it was a birf. I finaly tore it down today and low and behold 4 teeth were missing from the ring gear. I run stock mini birfs with a lock right now. My question is with the 529 is there a stregnth issue? These gears have been in since August and maybe have 1000 miles. I did the install and the pattern looks pretty good. Any comments or help would be appriciated. ???

I have no experience with 5.29 gears, but just curious, is this on the front or rear axle? If on the rear, is it in a full floater rear? Guys were saying they have to grind the ring gear quite a bit to fit it in a semi floater rear.

Dave

This was on the front. You are right about the rear though. I have the semi float and the 529 gears make it all but impossible to run a locker. I was running a lockright and when I installed the ring is so thick you cant remove the cross shaft. I saw on Randys R&P tech section about grinding the cross shaft so you can remove. The way a lockright works I figured it would not give enough contace surface. So I went ahead and welded the rear. It seems to work ok so far.

Hey Hamma.....here is your broken Land Crusier 5:29 gear set...

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom