50 Dollar paint job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a few questions with those that has done it.

What it the best way t thin out the paint. I have looked at Lowe's and Home depot for 100% mineral spirits. i can seam to find the orderless, would that work> or do I need the orderless?

should the mixture be 50/50 about the thickness of milk. I will be using a spray gun so any hey help you be helpful.

thanks. i have tried to read the mopar site but I don't have months to read throw it all lol.

Thanks for any input all can give. :)

If your going to spray it, use 10% mineral spirits. 50/50 is for a roller / brush job...

Doesnt matter thats its odorless...

Read through some of these posts, theres pretty much everything you need to know a couple clicks away...

I would experiment with the mixture a little. The rustoleum is pretty thick out of the can and needs to be pretty thin in order to spread out and lay flat properly. Otherwise you'll get oarnge peel

I did 2 coast with the ACE stuff with the roller. My thread on this is the Pumpkin roller one in this section.

My first one was 20% mineral spirits and it was wayyyyy too thick. Then I thinned it to 33% and it seemed much better but I had to worry about drips. I used a foam brush to smooth out drips and bubbles about 2 mins after application and it worked well. Humidity temperature etc will all be factors anyway so this roller method has really no perfect answers.

Best advice I got from the Mopar site and from others is to do one panel at a time. I did some multiple sections and I had to go back to smooth drips that formed and started to dry. When I went slow and did one panel to was much easier and the result was better.

The ACE and Rustoleum paints are essentially the same but the ACE stuff is tintable.

Do a primer coat regardless. I didn't prime the windshield frame and I wished I did. It makes it much, much easier although it isn;t necessary.

I am going to use a sprayer so I am thinking of thinning it out to to a 35%. Its going on a roll cage and I don't mind doing mutable coats. Think that would be thin enought for a sprayer??

I used farm implement paint, which I really liked, and they have there own thinners... I did it in colder weather though, so it took way to long to cure out....

10 % for spraying

I am going to use a sprayer so I am thinking of thinning it out to to a 35%. Its going on a roll cage and I don't mind doing mutable coats. Think that would be thin enought for a sprayer??

10% for spraying. Any higher and you will have mucho runs!

Good luck :beer:

I used Rustoleum heavy equipment paint from grainger... Thined it 20% Still looking good...
PB180043.jpg

I did 10% minerial spirts when I sparyed the 60. 10% thins it out quite abit. I did get some slight orange peel but I think if I would of adjusted the spray gun better I would not have had any.

I would get a large piece of cardboard and play around with the guns settings till you get it adjusted correctly. then have at it:)
new paint.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom