5-Speed in an FJ-40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 3/79 FJ-40 with the 2F & 4Spd. I'm researching the feesability of converting to a 5-Speed tranny. I'd like to do it as painlessly as possible, and with the greatest cost savings. What trannys will work either with or without adapters. What doner trucks should I look for, and what about the T-Case? Will mine work or will I also need the doner's t-case? How about driveshafts, they need modified, bought new etc..

Will I lose any of my strength with this conversion? etc...
All advise welcome

H55F is the most painless with the 2F motor...see the tech section, right column and you'll find 4-5 swaps in there....however, it's not a cheap conversion (none are really!)

Oh-My, that is the expensive route huh! I was hoping there was something available out of a US Toyota Pickup. Going to have to research the NV4500 some more now..Would like the 5th gear, but geez, $3k!

NV4500 does not adapt to the F/2F at all....so kick that out unless you plan on a V8...plus the NV4500 is LONG and the V8 helps make up that added length.

Have never seen a minitruck 5-speed to 2F adapter, worth checking at marlincrawler.com tho....

Well this is getting disappointing. I'm not interested in V8 conversion, so stuck with H55 or nothing. You would think that someone has come up with a cheaper system to get a 5spd mated to a 2F. The Aussie deal sound great, but is quite cost prohibitve.

Yogi,

Don't know what your timeframe is but this summer I am going to begin doing some serious head scratching with a G52 (I think thats the right designation) 5 speed out of my 84 Toy xcab 4x4. The G52 has the removable bell housing...some 5 speeds do not. I emailed Advance Adaptors, they currently had nothing to offer but said it seemed like an interesting idea....whatever that means.

The R series mini truck transmission would be best, as it is the stronger of the trannys used. The R150F is very common, but was only hooked to V6 trucks which may make lapping a different case to the back a problem???. The R151F although less comon, has a nice 4.3 - 1 first gear, and may be easier to connect something else to the rear of it. If you could come up with a bellhousing for the front, and an adapter to mate the back to your t-case, you'd have a nice system.

AA does have a bellhousing adapter to allow use of the NV4500 on a 2F engine. By the time you buy the NV4500, bellhousing adapter and transfer case adapter, you will be talking some serious cash. More seriously, however, is the length issue. With a 2F the NV4500 is really only an option for a wagon. You simply don't have enough room in an FJ40 to run this drivetrain. Too bad, because the NV is an outstanding transmission :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom