4wd at highway speeds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so, my so drove my 2011 FJ at highway speeds (55 -70) close parentheses for about 60 miles on H4. with this cause any damage?

Thanks,
ML

Was it dry? Sharp turns? Probably no damage overall.

yes it was dry. Sharp turns at a couple of street corners

If no axles are locked, shouldn't be an issue. If you damaged the CV's, you'd know my now, same with rear R&P gears.

Don't sweat it unless you start hearing strange noises out of the drivetrain...

Yeah it isnt a good thing, but there isnt much you can really weaken or partly damage doing that. You would essentially blow out a CV if something were to break. The tires were able to slip enough while turning to keep that from happening. Highway speeds are ok too. Surprised you didnt think anything of all the dash lights on when it was in 4?

I was wondering this myself a few days ago, except I was driving my 2011 FJC on ice from Lubbock to Abilene (~45mph) It was a no brainer as I had my wife and kids with me. As soon as I would go back to 2WD it would start skidding all over the place. So I didn't sweat it. I felt I made the right decision when I saw a black FJC turned over and abandoned near Abilene.....pretty sad and thought maybe they had it on 2WD.

I try to use mine for a short ride, every couple of months, just to keep things from stiffening up ...

^^This was actually on Toyota manuals in old Land Cruisers and Hilux's. They recommended locking the hubs and using the vehicle in H4 for 16km (10 miles) every month to keep everything well lubricated and what not. We still have that mentality with the newer vehicles.

Also, in the 2007 4Runner (same thing as the FJC) we use H4 in the rain because ours doesn't have traction control, so she likes to dance a little in the wet pavement if you're not careful. Although we drive our vehicles with caution and we know what the risks are and how everything works, it has happened more than a few times that we leave her in H4 driving after the pavement dries up and we have had no damage at all in 70,000 miles.

Surprised you didnt think anything of all the dash lights on when it was in 4?

I am usually really good about these things but got distracted by the game warden as we were leaving the muddy ranch, talked to him for about ten minutes. I then said goodbye to my hunting buddies, got in the truck and started my drive home. I did not notice the single 4X light until I had stoppped to fill up with gas 50-60 miles later.

Thanks to all for the replies. Everything sounds/looks normal on the truck.

ML

No harm, no foul.

^^This was actually on Toyota manuals in old Land Cruisers and Hilux's. They recommended locking the hubs and using the vehicle in H4 for 16km (10 miles) every month to keep everything well lubricated and what not. We still have that mentality with the newer vehicles.
It is in the FJC manual as well. I just read it last night.

I run mine a bunch in 4x4 - as I live where black ice is a daily thing. I've had her come around in 2wd and almost roll... Now I keep it in 4wd way more often.

No problems yet. Miles upon miles in 4wd.

As long as there is an occasional slippery spot where the drivetrain can slip and relieve any built-up strain, I think you will be OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom