4Skinner Re-power (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool can't wait to see it! I'll take a drive out next time i'm back and give you a hand with it. Don't forget to make the doors big enough to get the boat out!!!:flipoff2::hillbilly:

Here's why you can't use a stock cruiser x-member and the stock Runner/minitruck is about a foot and a half back. Shackles in the way, t-case linkage and driveshaft leave little room between the rails. Next pic shows how it drops out, bolts vertically and horizontally across.

Very Kooool:beer:

New rear spring perches tacked into place with hybrid packs. Dropped the frame height another 3 inches, about what i wanted. Woohoo!! Once weight is back on i'll plate the frame and find a rear hanger location. Wheelbase and wheelwells will be moved back about 8-9 inches, never did like the rear overhang on Runners!
4Skinner-rearsprings1.jpg
4Skinner-rearsprings2.jpg

Needed some proper diameter bolts for the spring eyes, so my heavy duty mechanic buddy on this shovel i'm working on filled my hands with 4,5, and 6" bolts. Gotta love free "CAT" bolts of any sort!!!

Also got called out for a service call north of Ft.Mac, only to see some of the devastating fires burning right now!!
bolts.JPG
fire.JPG

Last edited:
Nice.

Sweet post too, its nice to see what you do up there.

Hoard away brotha! :D

Nice.

Sweet post too, its nice to see what you do up there.

Hoard away brotha! :D

Is it a 450 that you've got up north Cam? I got some neat pics of them moving a shovel on a flatdeck a couple days ago for maintenance. I'll post them up for you, you'll get a chuckle out of it.

With these out of control forest fires in northern alberta its time to come home for days off. This pic is from last week and not much has changed, an out of control fire now at 9000 hectars.
smoke.JPG

Reminds me of the ol' smokepit back in highschool...

or any area where we opened the door on one of our volkswagens.... :lol:

probably good to get out of that and breathe some clean air for a while. ( you know , when it's not full of grinding dust and welding smoke....)

Damn and my chopper is sitting idle in Edmonton!!! I'm headed out wednesday to bring her back to the island but I'd be glad to go early and head north!

Damn and my chopper is sitting idle in Edmonton!!! I'm headed out wednesday to bring her back to the island but I'd be glad to go early and head north!

Let me know when you're back in town. I just rolled in, hoping to be here for another week and heading to Nanaimo to see some of the boys. I'll call you when i drive up.:beer:

Re-drilled a couple springs in the packs to better flatten them on the perches. Looks like it'll give me about a 7-8 inch wheelbase increase. I never was much of a fan of the bobbed mini-truck/4runners losing the interior length, chopping the top to fit. Less drag in the rear also. It only means bodywork and moving the wheelwells back. Cam, i've got a job for you!:grinpimp:
spring packs.jpg

Slow progress this time around. Engine mounts/trans mounts are burned-in, spring packs redrilled. Took some pics for "jhightower", here you go buddy! Sorry for the wait.
Cheers!
'84BJ42latch.jpg
'84BJ42latch2.jpg
'84BJ42latch3.jpg

Picked this up today. The old boy even had the original owner's manual to go with it. I'm quite a ways away from a bumper but oh well...
8074-4runner.jpg

Kind of quiet around here these days, so i guess i'll put up some pics. Put a few hours in at the shop, decided to make some changes to the front hanger and keep the existing mounts for comparison.
Cut out the old ones, made some new mounts and tacked em' in.
front hanger chop.jpg
front hanger chop2.jpg
front hanger chop3.jpg

Was strapped for time at the old place and also didn't like the pinion angle, so i cut that out and fixed it.
Amazing how quickly surface rust appears, so i painted it once wire wheeled. Pinion angle is good, next is the cut and turn.
front axle mods.jpg
front hanger chop4.jpg

New front hanger with the old mount points, i'll chop em' off later... Here's the new pad mounts, and one u-bolt eliminated. We'll see how it works out.
front hanger chop5.jpg
front axle mods2.jpg

your portside front body mount made me do a double take there...:lol:

Looking good tho, that the use you were thinking of for those ruffstuff ones of mine?

Impressive progress all things considered, I figgered all your spare time would be spent getting fitted for leg irons and manacles....:flipoff2:

your portside front body mount made me do a double take there...:lol:

Yeah it's deceiving in that photo, was from the original "IFS be-gone" chopping.

Looking good tho, that the use you were thinking of for those ruffstuff ones of mine?

Yeah pretty much, I forgot to get em from you that day...

Impressive progress all things considered, I figgered all your spare time would be spent getting fitted for leg irons and manacles....:flipoff2:

Lol, I chose to forgo the manacles in exchange for credit card and bank account access! Oh well!!!

Threw the body back on today to see where the cut and paste wheelwells were going to be. Got almost 8" towards the back, trying to keep interior cargo space, lessen the overhang and the typical rear chop. Looks like a job for "slowandsteady" and his mad body work skills! LOL:hillbilly:
wheelwell chop.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom