1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

44magnum

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by thorvald, Apr 9, 2003.

1. thorvald

thorvald .......

Media:
    ruger redhawk revolver or taurus 6 1/2" barrel? maybe raging bull series?
    thinking about getting a pistol for bear season, any opinions?

2. Halo3

Halo3

My father has owned his Redhawk for somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 trouble-free years, and has seen duty in much the same capacity as you are looking for....supplemental hand gun while out hunting. I personally have owned my own for the past 11 years with similarly excellent experience.

3. Erics75

Erics75

Smith & Wesson .500 magnum X frame.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/Products/Firearms/m500.htm
    I own a few .44 mags including a Dirty Harry model 29, but my absolute favorite is my stainless Ruger Super Blackhawk w/4-5/8 barrel ( had to send it back to ruger for that barrel ) and unflutted cylinder.
    http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=804&return=Y
    It will take hot loads with no problem as for the Smith & Wesson and Taurus I would be hesitant as I warped a cylinder shooting hot loads in a smith once. But for all out, that .500 mag. would be one heck of a bear gun. Smith & Wesson makes some more customized .44's also that are very stout.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/Products/Firearms/pc/m629stea.htm
    so check them out, I have been a gun finatic for a long time with .44's being my favorite, so if you have any questions please ask. I also have a stainless Redhawk w/ 7-1/2 barrel, very nice.

4. cajunqueen

cajunqueen

The Ruger, no question. While Taurus makes a fine gun, they are not anywhere close to the caliber of a Ruger. First, the Ruger uses a patented molding and casting design for their cylinders and barrels which ensures they will hold shape. Some revolvers over time have lost shavings off the cylinders or the barrels have warped over time, leaving you with an inaccurate firearm. Second, Taurus has had some problems with their firing pins. They are shearing off or wearing down oddly on one side in their large caliber revolvers. This is not good, although their warranty is great. One other consideration is that the Taurus raging bull series are made from lightweight alloys and most are ported to handle the kick, these are features that you might want to decide wether you want beforehand. And finally, the Ruger will hold its value much better than the Taurus. The Taurus is a good gun, but it is meant to be an affordable weapon for the masses, the Ruger is quality craftsmanship.
    Hope this helps. :)

5. thorvald

thorvald .......

Media:
    do you know anything about how the lightweight alloys in the Raging Bull series stand up?
    sounds like I should go with the RedHawk, leaning towards the taurus based on looks and feel, but the RedHawk is cheaper than the taurus.
    trying to stay under $450 before taxes (my wifes letting me use part of our tax return for it for my birthday present).
    like the looks of the super red hawk more, but its over 500.
    how much difference does the porting make for kick?

one thing is, my experience with handguns is I shot a blackpowder pistol one time. so, with that consideration, would the Ruger still be the best to learn on? or would the porting help the learning curve? I wont be shooting hot loads, if/when i handload dont go into the top loads so as not to shoot my barrel up.

finally, am I missing any other options that might be comparable? And, if I end up choosing the Taurus on the looks and feel would that be a regrettable decision?

how much is that .500 magnum x frame going for? saw the msr was about 900.

6. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Supporting Vendor Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    A handgun newbie would probably not be best served by an alloy .44 mag. They are a handful for an expert. You may consider a .357 in say a model 27 S&W. Try at the range or local shop to see if they could let you try a couple different pieces..............Dan

7. cajunqueen

cajunqueen

It's really all about personal preference. I have seen some of those Taurus's go back to the manufacturer because of the alloy they are using. As far as long term, I don't know as they have not been using it very long. The proting will not show you much advantage over the Redhawk. It was integrated into the Taurus to compensate for the light weight frame. The concern I have with the Taurus is again, the alloy. Those cylinders will eventually wear due to heat and movement inside the frame. That alloy is not as strong as it should be. That is the other thing I din't mention before. The Taurus if you play with it, has some more play in the cylinder than does the Ruger. This will be detremental down the line. I only own Ruger revolvers. I wouldn't go any other way. As far as options are concerned make sure if you go with the Ruger that you get the Ruger "gunmetal grey" coating on it. That stuff will last a lifetime and save you dealing with rust. As far as learning is concerned, if you insist on learning on a large caliber gun, make sure you get a long barrel. The Ruger I believe coes in a 6.5", 8", 10", & 12" (or somethign close to those). Try and put your hands on one with the longer barrels. You want to feel the weight in your hands. They should be evenly weighted, not front heavy. Remember, porting will help with kick but on the raging bull, it is just there to compensate for the light weight. The heavier your gun and the longer the barrel, the less recoil you will feel and vice versa. Let me know what you decide on. Oh, are you buying used or new?

8. thorvald

thorvald .......

Media:
    looking at new, wouldnt be opposed to used, but theres a short supply of dealers in this town (2) used to be a bunch but either they lost their license or quit dealing in handguns.
    look in the paper but havent seen anything latley.

9. thorvald

thorvald .......

Media:
    reason for starting out with 44mag is its a legal weapon for bear :D
    probably just use it for backup this year, might use it to hunt with after getting one or two

whats the law regarding state line crossings? theres a town three hours from here that probably has better selection of new and used, but not sure how that works with handguns

10. Halo3

Halo3

Hit up your local PD or Sherrif's office....they will be able to tell you the ins & outs of what needs to be done to legally move & register a weapon from one state to the next. And, being that close to a neighboring state, they will probably be proficient in the other state's gun laws as well.

11. wayne_fj40

wayne_fj40

All this talk about guns is making me think about cleaning mine .The only thing I'm really not into pistals got to be Browning rifles and shotguns.

12. cajunqueen

cajunqueen

I worked in a gun shop in New Orleans, LA for a few years (which is where I get my proficiency in guns). As far as I know you cannot legallly transfer a hand gun state to state. You can buy a long gun in another state and legally transport it, but not handguns. However, if you have a friend in a neighboring state you could get them to buy it and transfer it via a private party transfer to you regardless of your state of residency. Try www.auctionarms.com or pick up a copy of shotgun news at a firemars store they generally have a multitude of listings of used, good quality firearms. Let me know how the search goes. BTW I would not buy a Smith and Wesson, they sold out to another company about 3 years ago now and from what I have heard the quality has gone way down hill. Hope this helps. :D

13. Erics75

Erics75

Smith and Wesson has since been bought back buy an American company and the quality is great. The fit and finish of a Taurus just isn't nearly as good as a Ruger or Smith and the voice of experience says if you can't afford a quality gun then save your money until you can, you will be much happier. A .44 mag will shoot .44 specials which have less recoil, this can help you when first starting out. Try looking at a single action ( old west colt style ) Super Blackhawk, it's cheaper than a Redhawk and just as stout. The .500 is to big for a beginner ( no offense intended ). You really need to gun to a larger gun shop and sample different models. Like Cajunqueen said, you need an all steel gun, no alloys, recoil is to high. I don't know where you are but if you can get to a gun show, it would be an excellent place to checkout guns.
    http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/gunsched.htm

14. thorvald

thorvald .......

Media:
    appreciate all the input, im now leaning towards ruger after all the comments about Taurus. thinking should go look at the super redhawk again. the gun shop here has a good selection, just is the only one that carries handguns and if theres any used i think they get picked up quickly.

the redhawk is actually cheaper than the Taurus I was thinking about and has a longer barrel. Just like the look of the Taurus better, like the super redhawk. feel a little guilty about spending most of our tax return on me though
    (the cruisers feeling left out too) ;) :D

15. axlechassis

axlechassis

I like my sw 629 6" barrel shoots nice and carries well too. I carry mine alot as I live in big bear country. :beer:

16. thorvald

thorvald .......

Media:
    found a used ruger stainless steel super blackhawk that im going to get. think its around a 4" barrel.

17. SHAMROX80

SHAMROX80

thorvald,
    where are u located? I have a ruger super redhawk,7.5" barrel, scope and a case.

18. thorvald

thorvald .......

Media:
    im in wyoming, just put some money down on a used super black hawk though. where are you at? how much are you asking?

19. SHAMROX80

SHAMROX80

Across the country in Pa...and 400 was/is my price.

20. Erics75

Erics75

Like I said in my earlier post, my Super Blackhawk is my favorite ( 4-5/8 barrel ) and I'm sure that you will be happy. Put a good set of grips on it, I wouldn't use Hogue grips unless you have very large hands. I put a set of Ajax black pearlite grips, it really sets the stainless off nicely and feels good in my hand. Anyway, I say excellent choice.Here is a pic for you and you can see how big the Hogue rubber grips are, my hands are large to x-large glove size ( long fingers ).[​IMG]