420 vs. 465 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The toyota options are real nice, but, comparatively, real expensive. h55 5 speeds with 4.9 to 1 first, and overdrive 5th are available new for about $1800, but you then have to run a "split" transfer case, about $600 used if you're not running one already. The h41 is available used from manafre and spector for about $750(?), but you can get lucky and find them elsewhere. I had oen sent from OZ for $250+ shipping, and bought one local (what a freak-h41 in missouri?) for $350. The yota boxes are more difficult and expensive to rebuild if they're bad. With the sm's the bearings are a pressfit onto the shafts, but just an interference fit into the case. The toyota's get pressed in both ways. Kind of a bitch til you figure out to take bearing retainers off and on as you go. If you're gonna drive to the trail, run 33/35 tires, and don't care to do the most gonzo trails, the h41/early tcase is a very nice option that retains all of the standard toyota h42's streetability, but with about 60% more gear reduction. I ran Moab, Black Hills, etc with this setup and 33's several times...the switch to 36" swampers pushed me into the sm420 swap:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom