1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

420/465

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by wayne_fj40, Feb 28, 2003.

1. wayne_fj40

wayne_fj40

What is the differance between the two Because I have a 73 3speed plus granny out of one of my old blazers that I just found last night in the scap pile.The only thing that I can remember being wrong with it is I broke the chain in the t case but I don't need that anyway and with all the trouble I'm having I might think about this but I don't know the diff between them.

2. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    420, last made in 1967...2wd only, or divorced t-case, 7:1 first

465, made 1968 until the late 80's?, 2wd, 4wd, various spline outputs, most common with the 205 gear drive t-case, 203 chain is very rare but worth bucko bucks. 6.5:1 first

DO NOT throw away the t-case adapter...that's the rare part.

3. wayne_fj40

wayne_fj40

Woody, I was wondering it has the couse splines on the ppilet shaft,Ihave pulled the tcase apart it is chain and Its broke I just don't remember how that was back in highschool witch was in the mid 80s But I will hold onto it how much for the adapter plate or who should I go through.Thanks

4. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    yep, the tranny will have the 10-spline output...classic crusiers in CO is the only source for a plate adapter I'm aware of, see my tech writeup for detals. Will mate to a 73-older Crusier t-case.

IMO, for similar money, get the AA adapter from the 203 range box (toss out the chain drive portion - useless) and get the doubler in there right away. Yer gonna need d-shaft mods, crossmember mods, and adapters anyways...may as well only spend it once.

See the writeups in tech for the 203 swaps too....very helpful.