4140 vs. 4340 for rear axle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm having thoughts about getting some new rear axle shafts made for my SF converted to FF rear axle (TT magazine Nov/Dec 2000). The ones I have now are Moser shafts made of 1541H material, induction hardened double splined axles.

I've been talking to Bobby Long and Dave (PIG) at PolyPerformance about some 4340 axles made, but I thought I'd give Moser Engineering a call to see what material my old ones were made of. In our discussion, in Moser's experience they feel 4140 is better for rear axles as they have more "give" although they have less tensile strength than 4340. In fact, for their Dana60 axles they went from 4340 material on their 2nd generation axles to 4140 on their 3rd gen. axles.

Both PIG and Bobby Long feel 4340 makes a better axle material, and most posts about Toy truck rear axle shafts in POR are dissing All Pro's 4140 axles (made by Superior) and favor PIG's new 4340 although apparently out of some 500 AP axles sold only 2 have been broken.

Both Bobby and Dave can have the 4340's made for about $400, but Moser can make the 4140's at about $300. I trust Bobby Long and PIG a lot because of their involvement in the Toyota world, OTOH, Moser has made tons of axles for all kinds of vehicles.

What's your opinion?

Dave

One of the guys with us at BHCC busted a Moser rear full float Dana 60 shaft....no clue which material it was tho...

My PIG inners have survived a busted early Longfield, and that's the direction I'd lean....

Many thanks, Brian. Hmmm, so BillaVista seems to favor the 4340 Superior axle for the D60 front. OTOH he also acknowledges that front axle technology is different than in the rear axle. I didn't see it, but did he say what axle material is he using for the rear?

Superior doesn't seem to be interested in one off projects like mine anyhow.

Dave

SpaceGhost had a set of Mosers made up for his front inners, and busted them the first comp out...he was less than impressed.... (I THINK it was Moser....might have been Dutchman...damn, now I forget...)

hate to ask the obvious, but if what you have installed is working, why switch? Or is this just an excuse to push to the next unbreakable step? (Undertandable...I do it all the time...lol)

I am running 4340 double 35 spline Dana 60 full float rear axle in my 40, has worked great since '99.

Sunray is making me a new hex 9" rear that I will be using 4340 double 35 spline shafts in once again..

I would spend the extra monies and have the 4340's made...I will be having two sets of rear axle shafts made after I verify that the first set works properly, as I will not be out running my junk with custom axles, and not have spares...Tom Telford with Warn laughed at me when I told him that I wanted two sets of axle shafts..." what are going to be doing that you are going to break one of these?"

I HATE TO BE BROKEN!!!

woody said:
hate to ask the obvious, but if what you have installed is working, why switch? Or is this just an excuse to push to the next unbreakable step? (Undertandable...I do it all the time...lol)

Well, part of it is because I got seller's remorse after selling my D60 axles :D Like Poser, I also hate to break on the trail and would rather spend the extra $$ for some peace of mind. There is nothing more depressing than fixing your rig at the side of the trail at 11 p.m.

Then it looks like the 4340 axles are what I want. Thanks, guys.

Dave

woody said:
One of the guys with us at BHCC busted a Moser rear full float Dana 60 shaft....no clue which material it was tho...

My PIG inners have survived a busted early Longfield, and that's the direction I'd lean....

How many splines?

not a clue charles......busted at the outer drivers side IIRC, 35 spline from memory....pretty beefy rig.

It was Dutchman, made me a set of Bling ass front inners. lasted 3 obstacles, both snapped at the same time. I felt at the time the stockers would have wrtapped up and not broken. So much for exotic materials.

Moser never seems to be very helpful when I call. Maybe it's me, because it sounds like they shared with you. On totally custom stuff they were not interested, but maybe different materials for a item they already have the specs for is a different story.

fj40charles said:
How many splines?

It was Captain Crunch in that beat-to-s***-fully-getting-in yellow Mini.

It was a 35 spline FF rear axle. 4340 Mosers..................

wngrog said:
It was a 35 spline FF rear axle. 4340 Mosers..................

Is that why the last generation Moser Max axle is now made of the 4140?

Dave

SpaceGhost said:
Moser never seems to be very helpful when I call. Maybe it's me, because it sounds like they shared with you. On totally custom stuff they were not interested, but maybe different materials for a item they already have the specs for is a different story.

I called Jeff at Moser. I've had these custom axles made in 2000 and everytime I called, they seem to be interested in helping. I may have been lucky I guess :)

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom