4.3 tbi- code 32 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys- Anyone know why I get a code 32 [EGR valve], when I don't have egr on my 4.2 with a 4.3 TBI modification? Was driving about 60 mph for an hour and noticed it. Maybe something to do with MAP sensor? Been running good, rich at tailpipe, and crappy gas mileage. Thanks.

Took this off another site:

How the PCM tests the EGR system: The PCM waits for many conditions to be met before running the EGR test. From 1994 factory manual: PCM must be in closed loop, above 32 MPH, throttle position 10% to 25%, steady throttle with no more than 2% change, MAP reading above 47.5 kPa or below 15 kPa, maximum short term fuel trim less than 6 counts for 3.2 seconds, desired EGR command greater than 93%.

In simple terms? This tends to happen when you're cruising on flat ground on the highway.

At this point the PCM will momentarily de-energize the EGR solenoid to close the valve. The PCM watches the fuel integrator counts to see if they increase compared to normal EGR operation. If it fails twice in a row, code 32 is set and check engine light is illuminated.

Your ECM is not seeing the desired change in fuel trim between full EGR and no EGR and is setting the code. You'll either have to live with it or see if that function can be programmed out.

As far as the programming, you might want to check with Bill USN-1 on the BinderPlanet forum. He's the local TBI guru and he might have useful info on your other TBI issues.

Last edited:
Hey Spotcruiser- thanks. I was wondering if it had anything to do with the MAP sensor, as my mileage has been pretty bad. I guess not though. way I understand what you said is that is just normal for us folks without EGR valve. I can live with that, keep on searching for my fuel economy. maybe I'll check my vacuum at MAP vacuum line to TBI and see what it reads. cant find a leak though, and no codes for MAP. Thanks for your reply.

You should register on BinderPlanet and contact Bill. He's a nice guy and he's very generous with his knowledge of TBI.

Assuming it's similar to the 5.7, the ecm will detect the circuit if it's open for a certain duration. So if you don't have this connector connected, It should throw a code.

If you get into chip tuning, it can be bypassed.

Don't have much info on it, but I think some 4.3's did not have EGR, and I'm thinking a non-EGR chip or non-EGR Harness could be purchased, just don't remember, never had to deal with the subject ?????

Interesting, do you know what PROM you have?
No, but you could ask a Chevy dealer I guess, sure seems to me that non-EGR chips were available, but I haven't snooped in this area for 20 years.

You should register on BinderPlanet and contact Bill. He's a nice guy and he's very generous with his knowledge of TBI.
Thanks Spotcruiser. I'll definetly do that. I just have a few things I cant quite figure out and this is new to me too. My fj sure runs a lot better though, if I can get fuel economy, it would be a big plus. I think I'll get there eventually. Thanks again.

Assuming it's similar to the 5.7, the ecm will detect the circuit if it's open for a certain duration. So if you don't have this connector connected, It should throw a code.

If you get into chip tuning, it can be bypassed.
Yeah, I imagine I'll eventually get into tuning, just trying to get the basic all I can get from the chip and throttle body right now and make sure all is working as it should so I'll know where to start. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom