4.0L V8 (1UZ-FE) Land Cruiser UZJ79 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
greetings Land Cruiser fans,

I own a Land Cruiser HZJ79 Series pick-up truck with a 1UZ-FE coupled to a reinforced A341E auto transmission.

will supercharge it sometime next year and this truck is coil-sprung all-around. hope to put some pix in soon.

anyone out there with a V8 powered Land Cruiser lexus or American big-blocks, lemme know..!

Where abouts are you Lloyd or let me guess ,mmm Sydney :rolleyes::D

We want pics of the coil sprung rear too:D

Hi LLoyd,
l was from Malaysia,Sarawak town of Limbang,not too far from Sabah,now living in Winnipeg Canada.Is this truck custom built in Malaysia?
Pics please
Simon Liew

Hi,
what are you doing there in Sabah?Job??
l grew up in the jungle of Borneo with Landcruisers,my Dad was the foreman for a Lumbercamp and he drove them all day long,a HJ45 usually lasted 5 years.That was in the 1970's.
have you climb Mt kinabalu??
Simon
81 BJ42 project rockkwawler
89 HJ61
90 HDJ81
93 FZJ 80
84 BJ60T SOA
97 powerstroke tow vehicle

l run a small shop TLC import connection,work on lots of import esp Hondas and lots of Landcruisers.
some fab work,liftkits,springover,gears,lockers.
Just got my H55F Marlin Toybox,but having problems putting it together,talk to Dave at Marlin and he said they haven't put one together yet,they don't even know the H55 kit needs 7 bolts that are 120mm long by12mmx1.25 to bolt the first plate to the transmission.they are other issues l haven't figure out yet.building a shop right now.
Anyone have put together a H55 Toybox??

Hi LLoyd,
they have the 4.97 gear set for $449,l don't know if it is for the R151F,(anyone else know?)if you have the gear transfercase,it should fit,l think you have to clearance the housing.l talk to Dave at Marlin,l have a few issues now with the H55F Toyboy that l am figuring out with him,turns out they may be a few variations on the H55 transfercase with the different diameter idlershaft,they supply the wrong thickness spacer for the drivegear.
What vehicle is the 4.97 gear for??
if you can't get the gears,l may be able to help.
My friend ship an exhaust pipe bender from USA to his brother in SABAH.that thing is 3000 lbs.
SIMON

I thought in the marlins web page, it's 4.XX transfer gears refers to Mini Pick up transfer case ( advice about gears or chain in the t-case ) I'm not sure if they fit in the Land Cruiser Split Case ..

Hi David,
l am not sure but l think some Landcruisers have the R151F tranny,which is like the Turbo minitruck tranny,Anyone know??Wayne smith?
The next time l take to Dave,l will ask him if they can ship tp Asia,some time it takes me one phone call to talk to some one,some time all l get is answering machine for two days.

The main reazon that I thought about the diferences in t-cases mini truck ( pick up ) and split Land Cruiser Case, is land cruiser tranfer have a cluster that I don't think have mini truck .. then I thought the mini truck transfer case is mostly the same contruction as Nissan Patro Transfer case ..

lloyd_lluvbullet said:
is there a difference between the 86-87 turbo I-L4 four-runner's R151F-transfer case and the R151F-transfer case found in a year 2000 Land Cruiser pickup (HZJ79 series)? :confused:

Yes, the Hilux/4Runner R151 have a 23 spline output, the Light Duty cruiser R151 have 19 splines, 2000-2001 78/79 series have a funny two piece output.

Dave

lloyd_lluvbullet said:
can anyone out there confirm if US-market 4-runners which had the R151F (86-87 turbo trucks) are the same worldwide in that the R151F used there are identical in every respect :D

86-87 US market Turbo Toy trucks (Hilux) had the R151f. V6 4Runners have the R150f. Different ratios.

Dave

Yes, the R151's are mated to very different transfers, for instance the Turbo Toy has a centered rear output. I doubt if their gear set would work. Are you sure your output is 19 spline? Then consider Marks4WD's gearset as your transfer is the conventional split case (a.k.a. the BF1A).

If you are considering installing a 2UZFE, I'd ditch the R151 and get an H151f that is really meant for that kind of power output. Then you can find bellhousings to mate it with the V8 and the new crawler box from Marks4WD may work. (you will to cut a crossmember and move tha fuel tank though)

Dave

Most likely it only has 6 bolts, but I am not sure either. Like I said in the PM, if you can change the output to a Toy Turbo 23 spline output shaft, Marlin's ToyBox should fit. Maybe he can configure it so it has the rear output for the standard cruiser split case (19 spline) so you can use the cruiser transfer with offset rear output instead of a Hilux transfer.

Gear driven.

Marks4WD gear will fit only if your transfer output has 19 splines, but I'm not sure what the 79 series output has. Marks does not list the HZJ79 as a candidate for their Crawler Gears. The output (without the problematic two piece extension) looks like this:
ar151f_rear.jpg

Credits go to HDJ105 for this picture.

Dave

lloyd_lluvbullet said:
it reads 'credits go to HDJ105'. HDJ designation refers to the 1HD-FT, most likely the mechanical version hence 'FT' & not 1HD-FTE.

If indeed the picture represents a 1HD-FT powered 105 series (coil-sprung, solid axle) then it may differ in specs from a transmission & transfer case standpoint. A 1HD-FT should likely be running a H151F...not too certain though but definitely not a R151F.

In Australia, 2 types of 5-speed manual transmission were offered for the HZJ78 (flat-bed) & HZJ79 (full-length steel bed) -> R151F (lighter-duty coupled to 1HZ I-L6 Diesel) and H151F (coupled to 1HD-FT 4.2L SOHC 24-valve direct-injected I-L6 Turbo-Diesel).

According to Marks 4WD Adaptor's website, HZJ79 would fit their 'Gearmaster low gears' 2.8:1 & 3:1 low ratios respectively. so..Dave, from this brief info, can you guess if its a 19-spline or 23?

The 'Cruiser Crawler Gears' only suit 80 & 105 series Land Cruisers which came with the H151F manual and possibly the full-time automatic transmission.

If i wanted lower gears than 3:1, then i guess Marlin gears are it :)

"HDJ105" refers to Greg Goulden, an Aussie occasionally posting here. I believe he swapped a 1HDFT into his HZJ105. He posted pictures of the transfer cases comparing the HDJ80 gearbox output with the HZJ105 output to show the difference in the splines, etc. What I posted was the picture of the latter.

A slight correction to the above if you don't mind :) The HZJ78/79 has an R151r for a gearbox. The HDJ78/79 has an H150f. The FZJ78/79 has an H151f. The 1HDFT was not available in the 100 series, only the 1HDFTE was. Both engines were mated to the H151 in the 80 and 100 series. Clear as mud? ih8mud :)

OK, I haven't kept up with Marks offerings. I'd guess if their Gearmaster suits the HZJ79, then it should be 19 spline. (interesting to see now they offer 3.115 gears for the HF2A transfer, but not for the HF1A or the HF2AV. I've heard the Cruiser Crawler requires some serious crossmember and fuel tank mods to fit because of its location, so these gears maybe the answer for our non-ABS 80 series guys.)

Before ordering I suggest you contact Marlin or Marks to be 100% sure if what they offer will work. It would be a shame to have something shipped to where you are to find out it doesn't fit.

Dave

I thought both Split Cases, on 80 series and 105 series mated to H151 and R151 trannys are the same aka HF2AV with 2.48:1 Low .. no full time style.

I thought the cluster contruction in a full time t-case is more complicated to reduce with aftermarket gears ..

beanz2 said:
The 1HDFT was not available in the 100 series, only the 1HDFTE was.

little advice .. here in Panamá 100 Series are available with 1HD-T 12V engines from factory .. as well with the 1HD-FTE .. no yet viewwing by me with the 1HD-FT ..

lloyd_lluvbullet said:
Is there a bolt-on 4.97:1 transfer case for the R151F? if so, how much does Marlin want for it?

who do u talk to @ Marlin? they don't respond to emails..

H55F is a fantastic manual although the 1st & 2nd could lower.

Lloyd,

I believe you can just get a gear driven transfer case and an adapter from Advanced Adapters to mate it up with your R150F tranny.

Advanced Adapters also offers 4.0, 4.7, and 5.0 gear sets for the gear driven transfer cases.

Mark in AU is the Advanced Adapters distributor in that part of the world, just as AA is the Marks distributor here in North America.

Marlin Crawler was just bought and moved into a larger facility to keep up with demand. They can't even keep up with demand here in the U.S. I wouldn't expect any support from them.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom