4.0L V8 (1UZ-FE) Land Cruiser UZJ79

Discussion in '70-Series Tech' started by lloyd_lluvbullet, Oct 21, 2005.

1. lloyd_lluvbullet

lloyd_lluvbullet

greetings Land Cruiser fans,

I own a Land Cruiser HZJ79 Series pick-up truck with a 1UZ-FE coupled to a reinforced A341E auto transmission.

will supercharge it sometime next year and this truck is coil-sprung all-around. hope to put some pix in soon.

anyone out there with a V8 powered Land Cruiser lexus or American big-blocks, lemme know..!
  2. bjowett

bjowett Supporting Vendor

Oh yeah! I need to see this one... the 1UZ is an excellent engine.. get those pics up.
  3. Where abouts are you Lloyd or let me guess ,mmm Sydney :rolleyes::D

We want pics of the coil sprung rear too:D
  4. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

but 1UZ-FE is 4.0 or 4.7 .. ?
  5. Hi LLoyd,
    l was from Malaysia,Sarawak town of Limbang,not too far from Sabah,now living in Winnipeg Canada.Is this truck custom built in Malaysia?
    Pics please
    Simon Liew
  6. Hi,
    what are you doing there in Sabah?Job??
    l grew up in the jungle of Borneo with Landcruisers,my Dad was the foreman for a Lumbercamp and he drove them all day long,a HJ45 usually lasted 5 years.That was in the 1970's.
    have you climb Mt kinabalu??
    Simon
    81 BJ42 project rockkwawler
    89 HJ61
    90 HDJ81
    93 FZJ 80
    84 BJ60T SOA
    97 powerstroke tow vehicle
  7. l run a small shop TLC import connection,work on lots of import esp Hondas and lots of Landcruisers.
    some fab work,liftkits,springover,gears,lockers.
    Just got my H55F Marlin Toybox,but having problems putting it together,talk to Dave at Marlin and he said they haven't put one together yet,they don't even know the H55 kit needs 7 bolts that are 120mm long by12mmx1.25 to bolt the first plate to the transmission.they are other issues l haven't figure out yet.building a shop right now.
    Anyone have put together a H55 Toybox??
  8. Hi LLoyd,
    they have the 4.97 gear set for $449,l don't know if it is for the R151F,(anyone else know?)if you have the gear transfercase,it should fit,l think you have to clearance the housing.l talk to Dave at Marlin,l have a few issues now with the H55F Toyboy that l am figuring out with him,turns out they may be a few variations on the H55 transfercase with the different diameter idlershaft,they supply the wrong thickness spacer for the drivegear.
    What vehicle is the 4.97 gear for??
    if you can't get the gears,l may be able to help.
    My friend ship an exhaust pipe bender from USA to his brother in SABAH.that thing is 3000 lbs.
    SIMON
  9. Tapage

I thought in the marlins web page, it's 4.XX transfer gears refers to Mini Pick up transfer case ( advice about gears or chain in the t-case ) I'm not sure if they fit in the Land Cruiser Split Case ..
  10. Hi David,
    l am not sure but l think some Landcruisers have the R151F tranny,which is like the Turbo minitruck tranny,Anyone know??Wayne smith?
    The next time l take to Dave,l will ask him if they can ship tp Asia,some time it takes me one phone call to talk to some one,some time all l get is answering machine for two days.
  11. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

LJ71
    4.3 1st
    2.29 t/case
    4.875 diff

12. Tapage

The main reazon that I thought about the diferences in t-cases mini truck ( pick up ) and split Land Cruiser Case, is land cruiser tranfer have a cluster that I don't think have mini truck .. then I thought the mini truck transfer case is mostly the same contruction as Nissan Patro Transfer case ..
  13. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator

Yes, the Hilux/4Runner R151 have a 23 spline output, the Light Duty cruiser R151 have 19 splines, 2000-2001 78/79 series have a funny two piece output.

Dave
  14. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator

86-87 US market Turbo Toy trucks (Hilux) had the R151f. V6 4Runners have the R150f. Different ratios.

Dave
  15. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator

Yes, the R151's are mated to very different transfers, for instance the Turbo Toy has a centered rear output. I doubt if their gear set would work. Are you sure your output is 19 spline? Then consider Marks4WD's gearset as your transfer is the conventional split case (a.k.a. the BF1A).

If you are considering installing a 2UZFE, I'd ditch the R151 and get an H151f that is really meant for that kind of power output. Then you can find bellhousings to mate it with the V8 and the new crawler box from Marks4WD may work. (you will to cut a crossmember and move tha fuel tank though)

Dave
  16. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator

Most likely it only has 6 bolts, but I am not sure either. Like I said in the PM, if you can change the output to a Toy Turbo 23 spline output shaft, Marlin's ToyBox should fit. Maybe he can configure it so it has the rear output for the standard cruiser split case (19 spline) so you can use the cruiser transfer with offset rear output instead of a Hilux transfer.

Gear driven.

Marks4WD gear will fit only if your transfer output has 19 splines, but I'm not sure what the 79 series output has. Marks does not list the HZJ79 as a candidate for their Crawler Gears. The output (without the problematic two piece extension) looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Credits go to HDJ105 for this picture.

Dave
  17. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator

"HDJ105" refers to Greg Goulden, an Aussie occasionally posting here. I believe he swapped a 1HDFT into his HZJ105. He posted pictures of the transfer cases comparing the HDJ80 gearbox output with the HZJ105 output to show the difference in the splines, etc. What I posted was the picture of the latter.

A slight correction to the above if you don't mind :) The HZJ78/79 has an R151r for a gearbox. The HDJ78/79 has an H150f. The FZJ78/79 has an H151f. The 1HDFT was not available in the 100 series, only the 1HDFTE was. Both engines were mated to the H151 in the 80 and 100 series. Clear as mud? ih8mud :)

OK, I haven't kept up with Marks offerings. I'd guess if their Gearmaster suits the HZJ79, then it should be 19 spline. (interesting to see now they offer 3.115 gears for the HF2A transfer, but not for the HF1A or the HF2AV. I've heard the Cruiser Crawler requires some serious crossmember and fuel tank mods to fit because of its location, so these gears maybe the answer for our non-ABS 80 series guys.)

Before ordering I suggest you contact Marlin or Marks to be 100% sure if what they offer will work. It would be a shame to have something shipped to where you are to find out it doesn't fit.

Dave
  18. Tapage

I thought both Split Cases, on 80 series and 105 series mated to H151 and R151 trannys are the same aka HF2AV with 2.48:1 Low .. no full time style.

I thought the cluster contruction in a full time t-case is more complicated to reduce with aftermarket gears ..
  19. Tapage

little advice .. here in Panamá 100 Series are available with 1HD-T 12V engines from factory .. as well with the 1HD-FTE .. no yet viewwing by me with the 1HD-FT ..
  20. Lloyd,

I believe you can just get a gear driven transfer case and an adapter from Advanced Adapters to mate it up with your R150F tranny.

Advanced Adapters also offers 4.0, 4.7, and 5.0 gear sets for the gear driven transfer cases.

Mark in AU is the Advanced Adapters distributor in that part of the world, just as AA is the Marks distributor here in North America.

Marlin Crawler was just bought and moved into a larger facility to keep up with demand. They can't even keep up with demand here in the U.S. I wouldn't expect any support from them.

Good luck.