3rd member swap on 07 FJC

Discussion in 'FJ Cruiser' started by puulboy, Mar 25, 2010.

1. puulboy

puulboy

I looked through tech and I can't find a tech article for the 3rd member swaps, front and rear. Could someone point me in the right direction?
    Thanks
    Don
  2. BMThiker

BMThiker I aim to misbehave SILVER Star

Don't know about the front, but I've pulled the rear one before. Basically you have to pull the axle shafts out to remove it. That entails a lot of other parts being removed first, but you knew that. :) The biggest pain in the azz is the parking brake disassembly and reassembly. Have a manual handy.
  3. 7228

i can get you some info i work at a toyota dealer what are you trying to do
  4. puulboy

puulboy

Thanks for the info offer. I completed the swaps last weekend.
    I am draining oil tomorrow after the 500 mile break in. All is well
    thanks
    Don
  5. dILzNAK

dILzNAK

Right on!! How bad was it?
  6. puulboy

puulboy

I think it started with 3 one tooth. By the time i tore it down it was 3 teeth. I did however put them under my pillow and received 4.56 gears from the diff tooth fairy:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. BMThiker

I'm surprised it took you this long to break 'em Don. I've gone through two rear R&P's and one front one. Going 4.56 when these go:D

My first one looked like this after hobbling off the trail.:doh:
    [​IMG]
  8. 1911

1911 chupacabra SILVER Star

I drove home from Moab 1,500+ miles and then some on this ring gear (note that it has broken teeth in three places):

[​IMG]
  9. BMThiker

Did you know that it was broken at the time? My trek off the trail was only a few miles, but even at 5-10mph it was like ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-BANG-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-BANG. Once we got the ring gear out, we drove home in front wheel drive (auto tranny, t-case in 4-hi), which was an interesting experience too.
  10. 1911

1911 chupacabra SILVER Star

Yeah, it was pretty obvious - a distinct rhythmic whine especially in low range. Wheeled it another two days, drove home as said, and around town for a while until it started to clack, then drove it 30 miles to the dealer and back home again, then it was finally time to tear it down. :) I'm guessing that the biggest chunk of missing teeth didn't break off until it started to clack, but it still went at least 60 miles after that.
  11. 7228

should have tried to get it warrentyed. say just happened driven on freeway

12. If I recall the early models had diff issues like this.
  13. BMThiker

Yeah, not trying to rehash that story again here. It's well documented elsewhere. I was just surprised that Don had not busted his yet, since he has an early model like me an 1911, and obviously wheels it. :) Mine was covered under warranty both times.