3FE Fuel Supply Problem - I FIXED IT! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 62 stalled on me a few days ago coasted to a stop and she re started in a couple of cranks. During that same day it seemed like it wanted to die out and did a couple of times . The next day I replaced the fuel filter and it ran good fo about 30 min. The next day it wouldn't start . People told me that it was fuel pump or sock . So today I dropped the tank and bench tested the pump and it pumped fuel fine , the sock looked a little colored but the pump was in gas when i tested it and seem to work properly . I then attached the pump to my truck just to make sure it was getting power from the truck no such luck . I then tested the connection and found I'm not getting power to the fuel pump. Has anyone had this problem and what is the fix. Any suggestions would be grateful . Thanks John
John - Not sure where you are or how rusty your truck is, but had this problem myself ... wiring harness to power the pump had corroded and was shorting out in the driver side rear quarter panel. You can access the wiring just behind the rear wheel underneath the truck. Grab a test light and see if you've got power to that point and go from there - Mike

could the FPR be the issue if my 62 takes more than 10 cranks to start unless already warm? or could it be that my fuel pump is on the verge of dying?

could the FPR be the issue if my 62 takes more than 10 cranks to start unless already warm? or could it be that my fuel pump is on the verge of dying?

John, I solved a similar problem by cleaning my Cold Start Injector. It's a 10 min. easy fix & if you are careful/lucky you can reuse the CSI gasket. Just remove & clean w/carb cleaner.

John

John, I solved a similar problem by cleaning my Cold Start Injector. It's a 10 min. easy fix & if you are careful/lucky you can reuse the CSI gasket. Just remove & clean w/carb cleaner.

John

i recently did a top end rebuild on it. and one of the the things i did was clean the CSI. could it be that it isnt working properly? head gasket was blown when i bought the 62 so i had to clean everything from the top of the block up, im kinda ocd about having it all clean when i put it back together. could it not be working? :confused:

Yes, your CSI could not be working properly which would cause a no start issue. However, I just read a bit more of this thread and in your post # 40 you said you were not getting power to your fuel pump.

If no power or intermintent power to your pump, well, that sounds like your problem. Are you saying you have no 12v power to the fuel pump wireing in the left rear quarter panel ? If no power there, your fuel pump will not work.

If no 12v there, trace the wires and fix the break.

John

Thank you Yooper! I believe your post #8 describes exactly my issues. Ordering the parts now.

The 10yr old tread comes through. Worth a bump for sure as a PSA if nothing else.

I finally figured it out! :D :D

It was the fuel pressure regulator - it was failing closed, raising the fuel pressure, causing the fuel pump check valve to get stuck closed. It caused my first pump to "fail" (the check valve was permanently stuck closed but the pump itself was fine) and it caused my fuel pulsation dampener to blow and it caused my mpg to be horribly low (like 8 or 9 instead of the 12-16 or so I should get).

The truck would start ok cold because the lines and fuel cooled, fuel pressure went down, and the check valve opened. When the truck was warm the fuel pressure was still high - the truck would start at first with the fuel locked in the rail and lines, and then die when the pressure dropped because the check valve was stuck closed. Eventually it would open and she would start up and then run fine because fuel was flowing, keeping the valve open.

I replaced the fuel pressure regulator ($91.93 from cruiserdan - thanks Dan!) yesterday and all the problems went away, the truck is "seat of the pants" faster, quieter, idles smoother, and the exhaust no longer stinks!

I highly recommend a fuel pressure regulator replacement for any 3FE with funny fuel supply problems - rough idle, running rich, poor mpg, starting problems, etc. It's a ten minute install - literally three bolts.

Thanks for your help, guys! I am SO happy to be going into winter with a reliable vehicle.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :cheers:

Just replaced my fpr and the engine has never run worse.

REVIVE!! Love the site and the thread. Recent owner of a 89 FJ62. Just got it back from dropping the new H55F 5-speed transmission in it. On first trip, about an hour at 68-70 MPH engine seemed to run a little hot, but nothing alarming. When I came to gate on farm, just idled low and died. Turned over several times but never started. 10 minutes later started fine, and haven't had an issue since, but I also haven't taken it on an hour long drive. Gas milage is lower than I thought it should be with the new transmission, still about 10, and runs at 3,000RPM at 70 (also seems a bit high from other threads I seen.)

I don't think fuel pump, filter or FPR have been touched, so I'm thinking about trifecta. But I wanted opinions on if I should do all three a once, or try to diagnose problem first. Wife won't allow trips if she doesn't trust it, so what are your thoughts? Thanks.

What a great thread! So on my 88 FJ62, I have hard starts after it warms up. It cranks right up in the morning, but after its warmed up, then I shut it down, it cranks and cranks but doesn't want to start. Then I let off the key, crank it again and it fires right up. 163k miles on the truck. New fuel filter and maintenance is up to date. Those are about the only symptoms. Im wondering if I need to maybe replace the Fuel Pressure Regulator or the Fuel Pulsation Dampener. But which one?

ok i have same problem so gonna replace the FPR. but mine also has the fuel gauge and temp rise and fall. also experiencing over heating. is this all the FPR? I'm dyeing from frustration here help please. does the fuel pressure and issue with the FPR cause over heating? Im getting close to the red and having to shut off after ten min of running.

its important to determine if you really do have an overheating issue.
The gauge issue with the temp and fuel rising is not an overheating issue. It's an electrical issue.
When the gauges return to normal, is the temp gauge still high?

ok i have same problem so gonna replace the FPR. but mine also has the fuel gauge and temp rise and fall. also experiencing over heating. is this all the FPR? I'm dyeing from frustration here help please. does the fuel pressure and issue with the FPR cause over heating? Im getting close to the red and having to shut off after ten min of running.

Do a search for temp/fuel gauge issue. There's a contact on the back of the gauge that gets corroded, and all you have to do is sand it to clean it up. If your temp is going up when the fuel gauge is pegged above full, I would assume it's the gauge and start there. Easy fix, but you do have to take apart the dash.

Is there any chance that the fuel pressure regulator could also pressurize the fuel tank causing gas to overflow out of the filler hose?

I'm having some of the same starting issues described in this thread except my problems are with cold starts. I'm hoping that a fuel pressure regulator replacement will kill the proverbial 2 birds with 1 stone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom