GM 350 chev with starting issue (watch video) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok, I've got a 350Chev with a starting issue. Turn the ignition and starter engages then just seems to short out. It sound electrical not mechanical. Here's a video. The sound is the key. The starter does turn the engine over 1/4 turn but then stops and 'ticks' out. In the video, I'm drawing power from another 4wd but the starter does this without the jump start. Also, it's about 90% of the time, sometimes it'll turnover and start. Any ideas on issue?

Could be a few things.....

As starters start to go bad, they require a higher amount of amperage draw. Usually the weak point in a high draw situation is the ground - make sure all of your battery contacts are good and tight (make sure, especially, that the negative terminal is tight on the battery lug). This could also cause an issue even if the starter is fine (corroded wires, etc).

Could be the solenoid on the starter is going out.... try tapping it with a hammer..... since the motor is at least trying to turn, I doubt it's the solenoid.

Could be something internal in the starter. I'd say rebuild it, but 350 starters are almost always pretty darn cheap...

Bang on @toyotaspeed90. I hadn't updated this thread but on the weekend I got some baking soda and water onto the bat terminals and connectors, cleaned them right up and did a solid tighten of bolts on terminals. No more issues with starter as a result. The 350 still isn't starting but that's another issue!

Good knowledge and thanks for replying. If I hadn't sorted my self, your response would have had it fixed. Much appreciated.

As for the non start..... always check the simple things first.

Is there spark? If so... try some starter fluid to see if it at least tries to start.... if it does and dies off, then tells you spark and timing are at least close enough to start... and look into fuel.

If spark but no attempt to start, look into timing order, timing, plugs, wires, cap, rotor...

If no spark, look into why (12v at coil, wires, dizzy, etc)...

yep, heading down that path now. Some history.

Had to take the LPG tank out to get tested (10year cert required in NZ). So did that then reinstalled. Was running fine prior to removal/installation.
Only additional change was removal and inspection of air cleaner which involves removing LPG Vaporisor hose from top of air filter. Noticed seals had badly deteriorated top/bottom of air filter and should be replaced (but haven't been yet).

Symptoms
- Wont start but will turn over.
- Can run start but runs rough and won't idle (dies unless giving it some welly).
- Hissing noise when running

Possible Faults
- Thinking potential idle jet issue on LPG unit (Dedicated LPG), hence runs - albeit rough - when have revs/main jet
- Potential vacuum leak (hence hissing noise)

Testing and Eliminating/eliminated
- checked leads
- checked firing order
- checking spark on all cylinders and quality of spark (ran out of battery tonight so unfinished)

Additional info:
- New plugs all round.

Will finish my testing above then see what happens.

T.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom