34/10.5/17 or 285/75/17 options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am thinking about going to a 17" wheel and looking at tire options. I would like to be around a 34" tire. I really like the 34/10.5/17 size or 285/75/17. But i only find a few brands making those. Anyone running any of those or have feedback about who makes a good aggressive AT or mild MT in that size?

I've got over 30,000 kms on my Toyo MT 285/75R17 E rated tire on Pro Comp 098 17x9 4"BS
The issue is finding decent rims in 17" with proper BS. I could have gone to 3.5" BS but since the wheel is a
custom order for size ( 4 Wheel Parts ) My math told me they would fit the fenders and not rub.
On full lock I get 1/4" clearance on springs on the front. Perfect. On the rear I got into a couple of deep plunging
ruts and I made some nice 1/8" cuts into the side wall when the tire is fully stuffed. They just barely rub the inner,
not even enough to rub unless they are dirty, but I will be rolling the inner lips this summer so I don't cut again.
I also strengthed my rear leafs with an ad a leaf reduce it.
I am looking for better rims, the PC on these is awful, they are rusting through the PC from almost day one.
I still can't find an alloy rim with old school back space. I'll replace the Toyo's with Toyo's, best tire I've ever had
on a 4x4!

P1000526.JPG
P1000546.JPG

That is actually my first pick tire. But man are they pricey in that size.combine that with a 17" wheel purchase and it really hurts. Just trying to see what options I have.

These are 34" new. 11.5" wide. I really like them, they handle very well. I had them siped
as well down the center blocks, it makes a difference. Cooler running, improve traction on ice and
rocks, help lengthen tread life as well.

If you're not set on 17" wheels, there's a few other similar tire size options - 285/70/18 or 275/65/20 are about 34" tall.

If you're not set on 17" wheels, there's a few other similar tire size options - 285/70/18 or 275/65/20 are about 34" tall.
Those wheel sizes are too big for decent off road, no sidewall on those tires. I realize the
17" aren't much smaller, but just able to jump up to e rated tire.

They're definitely not ideal offroad, but they can be a lot cheaper. I have a 5th gen 4runner, so 17's are the smallest wheel that fits over the brakes. I'd love to see more size options that aren't as wide. IMO a 265/80/17 would be just about perfect if it existed.

I do think the 285/70/18s would probably be okay though. I have 285/70/17's now and they work pretty well. I can run 15psi without issue and the sidewall should be the same, just a taller overall tire.

I have room to go wide on my 80. Just not sure I want to.I am running 285/75/16 now and they are pretty good. But I would like to go just a little bigger. 315/75/16 are more than I want a little to wide and need regeer for the mountains out west. But I figure a 285/75/17 Or so would really be just about perfect. I kind of like the "skinny tall" but the 255/85/16 is just a little too skinny proportionaly on the 80 to me. My friend runs that size on a 70 and it looks perfect. The 80 is a little bigger than the 70 for sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom