33's look dumb with soa? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my 33's look just right (to me) with the 4inch skyjacker.
would a spring over make it look stupid (ie to much lift)?

thanks.
so if you were going to spring a 40 over (no other lifts included) what size of tires would you go with?

38's to big?

Really,it depends on your springs. Old stock springs are perfect with 35s or 36s. Taller springs allow taller tires. One thing to keep in mind is terrain you use your rig in the most. I was in the mountains today with some friends to do some trail maintenance and a little exploring. On a steep dugway that hasn't been used in a few years (a couple winchable rocks had fallen on the trail) we almost had a rollover. 4 vehicles with 33 and 35 inch tires and the minimum amount of lift to achieve adequate clearance made it through the worst section without a problem. A taller TLC with SOA,tall springs and 38s was saved by the quick action of two spotters and a little help from an amazingly stout pine sapling. The lesson is this, the taller the center of gravity, the easier it tips over. Of coarse if "looks" is what you want put it way up there on 44s so you can "looks" down the blouses of the girls in that red mustang convertible. OUCH! I just got punched by my wife. Didn't know she was there.
Anyways, it's just something to think about.

With my SOA, I fit 38.5's. I do have bumpstops in the front and used the fenders to rub in the rear. it's tight, but still clears a 7' garage opening (barely - 82" tall IIRC)

35's are the smallest you should consider. 36x12.5 SX is a sweet tire too.

At 8 psi, my 38.5's measure 35.5" with the weight of the truck on them...

While being built up, my FJ55 is sitting on some rotted out 33's. The piggy is SOA, and the 33's look stupid. I personally think the 35's are gonna be too small too. But they'll look OK. What I'd REALLY like to do is run 37" MTR's next year, but I don't think I'll be able to afford re-gearing or a crawler for quite a while. 35's are a bit past the limit for stock gearing, I think. :-\

i thought my cruiser looked a little weird with 35 Boggers after the SOA. Was running 2.5" springs & longer shackles before, with the rear fenders cut way out.

The 38.5's look "right"... I did remove the front fenders, as I liked how it looked, but the 38's would tear them up without too-long-for-my-tastes bumpstops. I think a 36 TSL would look good, or a 37" MTR if you're an out-west guy.

This is on the 35" Boggers, street pressure (17psi)...
sideview-35inch.jpg

This is at 7psi, on the 38.5" SX's. they grow a good 2.5" when aired up to 15 psi or so
38sside.jpg

what gears would one want with
36's?
38's?
running stock axles now.
the machine is for 75% off road trail type stuff
25% around town.

Most cruisers I see keep the stock diff gearing, and focus more on the tranny/t-case for reduction...

Even with my tired-ass 305, I can still drive around town just fine. I just use first gear more from a light, whereas with the 35's, I normally started in second. (SM465, 6.5:1 first gear) I'm 85% trail, 15% running around for the hell of it.

I did have it running 2000 rpm on a hilly highway without much trouble at all, which works out to 65 or so... unbalanced 38's didn't wanna go too much faster...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom