31x9.5x15 on 15x8 rim? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

REDrum

What Would Steve Zissou Do?
Threads
Mt Monadnock Region NH, US & Montezuma, Costa Rica
Website
www.tolteccoffee.com
So I have a spacial fitment dilemma I need some forum help with...

My garage door only allows 72" of clearance, so I need to keep my truck tire size to much 31.5" or less.

I would like to run TSLs in 31x9.5x15, but my rims are 15x8. A conventional 31x10.5x15 tire on a 8" rim I wouldn't worry, but an inch narrower makes me a tad nervous. I could go with BFG KM2s in a 31x10.5x15, but the TSL are much better performers in mud. (and I don't care about TSL road noise)

Anyone have any thoughts or warnings about running a 9.5 tire on a 8" rim?
Greater or lesser chance of blowing a bead when aired down?
Am I over thinking this? (side effect of 36" of snow on the ground)

I have a friend that has 33/9.50 on an 8" wide rim and it just looks funny, a skinny tread and bulging sidewall. A far as safety, I don't know. In my opinion, 31/10.5/15 is probably your best bet. It's a popular size so you have a wide choice of brand names and tire types.

Hi all,

If you are set on running those 9.5 inch wide tires look into stock Land Cruiser wheels.

IIRC 40/45/55 Series stock wheels are 5.5 inches wide, while 60 Series are 6.0 inch wide. These are a better width wheel for a narrow tire.

Regards,

Alan

I think my '91 FJ80 stock rims were 15X7 and I ran 33X9.5 for years. Loved it and never had an issue.

Hi all,

Oh, 7 inch wide wheels are what the tire store will tell you to use with 9.5 inch wide (tread) tires. But if you actually air the tires down for off road use you will collect a lot of miscellaneous stuff (pebbles, sand, twigs, etc.) between the tire bead and the wheel, causing slow leaks.

A narrower wheel, like the 5.5 or 6.0 inch will help hold the tire bead better when at lower air pressure.

Regards,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom